Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda Cx-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

3,000 miles and counting....
By dwbinnwa

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

As a 6 foot 4 inch man, I was worried about this vehicle. However a test drive proved I had nothing to fear. I can easily get in and out with plenty of room once nestled in the soft leather seat. The styling is impressive, with an aggressive looking nose and a well done interior. The sun roof, reverse camera, Bose sound system, and easy to collapse rear seats are also positives. This SUV isn't going to throw you back in your seat when accelerating, but it is quick enough for my purposes and haven't found myself wanting more.

Favorite Features

I must admit I didn't give much attention to the blind spot detector when researching this vehicle. However, it has been a tremendous feature that truly has saved me from disaster a couple of times. The bluetooth and SIRIUS has been handy as well. As to MPG, I've been happy with a combined 29 miles according to the in dash display. Compared to the truck I had (18 mpg) I'm in heaven.

Suggested Improvements

A special note to Mazda. You must, repeat must, design future CX-5's with lighting in the back hatch area. There is no way, without using my cell phone flashlight app, to see what in the heck I'm doing back there at night. Also, the less than amazing GPS system is something that could be upgraded. Also noticing that when letting off the gas when going down hill, the engine will ramp up the rpm for some reason....gonna watch that. Those are the only things I can think of that need attention. Overall, quite happy with my first Mazda purchase.

Greatest value and performance.
By xatharon

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my CX-5 in july, I have over 7,000 miles on it already and it has not made one peep. I drive it like a maniac in a mountainous area and still get average of 26 mpg, which is more than the computer calculated mpg. I just put it through a dangerous off-road test and it performed admirably. Two and a half inches of snow over grass and frozen mud, it drove through it like on asphalt on a hot summer day. I have done 125 miles per hour on the highway. I have not seen any reason to miss my V-6 turbocharged car, sure it does not take off on the line but it is not a race car, it still beats most vehicles. The transmission is the best I have seen outside of a Porsche.

Favorite Features

It will not blow your mind with gadgets. I have the Technology package and the Bose sound is good, the navigation is excellent. I don't know what the critics are complaining about. The car doesn't drive itself, I guess that is the problem with the navigation. I cannot speak for standard audio equipment. Everything you find in the cabin is tried and true. It may look a little boring but it will not break down on you or cause you any headaches. If it ever malfunctions it will be really easy to fix. I recently had to deal with the awesome but insane set up of Ford's mytouch and I tell you I'll stick to old fashion in this one. The seating is very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

There is a little road noise but remember that it is an economy vehicle. For the price though you get more than any other SUV, crossover or not. Plus the best MPG of any non hybrid SUV. I wished they had a dual climate control option for the lower models and it could use a standard dash compass. But that is nitpicking in an already good package. I shopped for three months, comparing all sorts of vehicles and SUV's. The only car I missed on was the Subaru Crosstreck. I have to tell you that it is the best small SUV you can buy. Drives great in any terrain and goes easy on your wallet. Beats all the rest crossovers and SUV's in every category hands down.

Great looking comfortable CUV
By glennm76

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the cx5 over 3 months ago and it has almost 3,000 miles. I am only getting about 24 miles per gallon, but i do have the 4wd and mostly city driving. I like the looks of the car. My prior car was a 2010 rav4 limited v6 AWD. I have test drove almost all of the CUVs out there. I liked the CX5 the best. It handles great on the road, takes corners like a sports car and very comfortable. It can use more power, but has enough for everyday driving. The leather seats are very comfortable. Nice and roomy inside. I got the nav, which does kinda suck. But the bluetooth is great and the Bose stereo sounds excellent. I love the blind spot detection. My very first Mazda. No problems so far.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfortable, Bose stereo, blind spot det. Projection head lights. Breaking, corning. Smart key. Remote start. Nice well built car.

Suggested Improvements

The tomtom nav sucks. The tranny switches into higher gears to early.

Didn't buy a new care to use the warrenty
By ssgoverbey

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned my Mazda CX5 since May 2012. I keep having problems almost since I bought. The very first thing was the GPS said it was out of date. I tried to update the memory card like it said with TomTom online. Was a big pain. Then was trying to get my trial of satellite radio which didn't work well. Could use some more power. At around 9,000 miles all the warning lights came on, cruse control wouldn't work. Bad battery. Then this last week at around 16,000 miles all warning lights came on again and would not shift. Waiting on some transmission part now. I do not have faith in taking the car on any long road trip now.

Favorite Features

Some things I love is the vehicle styling. It looks great. The duel zone AC is great so my wife can be warm and I can be cool. It handles more like a car than an SUV. I would never know it had electric steering. Interior space for its size is the best. Seats are quite comfortable even on long road trips. The blind spot warning system. Bluetooth is best I have had.

Suggested Improvements

Try to get more power without changing MPG. Auto tailgate lift of some sort. Cup holders a little further apart so my cups do not hit.

Runs great in Salt Lake City you must test drive this SUV!!
By utahdriver

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Getting 28 MPG in 50/50 mixed driving with winter fuel, handles great in snow and ice. I was set on Subaru Crosstrek, but not impressed with noisy CVT and had to really push throttle to get moving, freeway ride stiff and choppy. Mitsubishi Outlander Sport. Ride better but did not like CVT. Sorry no Fix Or Repair Daily Escape, look at consumer reviews and GM crossovers . Honda CRV did not like looks. CX 5 highway drive solid, smother ride, quieter, lots of options and space for the $. Did not get Technology Package. Engine/trans provides all the power needed for hills and accel for freeway. Driving at 70 MPG registers 32. $1,400 off list plus tossed in set of all weather floor mats

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring is great for freeways at night to change lanes. The bluetooth works great, HD radio with Bose speakers, lots of ways to set things like timer on door locks, the way the car remote unlocks the doors, changing timer on automatic lights, setting automatic rain sensing wipers, 8 way adjustable driver seat, automatic radio volume adjust as cabin noise increases, push button start, 3 level heated leather seats, automatic climate control, back up camera, tire pressure monitor system that works off tire revolutions, no sensors. The engine has no timing belt, so no charges to change that down the road. The power steering is electric, so no messy steering oil or maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

The only other two things I wish the car had was where the radio stays on when your switch the engine off and goes off when the drive exits the car, and at least 2 buttons on driverís electric seat for memory settings for me and my wife. Also One thing the car needs is better body side molding, which Mazda does not offer. But I found a color coded set on line from Sportwing.com for $125 and installed myself, and look great. Will report back when I have 2,000 miles Also for a detailed write-up on the CX 5 check out http://www.netcarshow.com/mazda/2013-cx-5/.