2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Best Crossover For the Money
By flarp on 08/13/12 20:03 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Got the Touring w/ Bose Audio + Moonroof and Technology packages. Compared w/ CR-V, RAV4, Forester, and Murano. Engine is smaller, but it is plenty responsive. All the others I tried had more raw power, but the difference wasn't significant for most commuter driving. Handling and road feel, the CX-5 blew all the others out of the water. It's a crossover, but it handles more like a sporty sedan. Fuel economy was also a huge improvement over the others. All this at a price about $2-3k less than comparably equipped models from the other manufacturers.

Fun Fun Mazda CX5
By miz_mas on 08/12/12 05:54 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Since last year, I've researched, tested-drive compact SUVs include RAV4, CRV, X3, Rogue. When CX5 was available, made my trip to the delarship, tested drive a Touring and I was hooked on CX5. I ended buying the Grand Touring with Tech package, which is ideal for a busy working professional like me, with weekend drive-around with my two dogs. The driving is smooth, love the look, love the rear view camera, the BSM is awesome, the drive is smooth and the price is a steal! This is my fun ride! Zoom zoom.

Great SUV with Excellent MPG & Looks
By verysmartcar on 08/07/12 17:29 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Just brought this CX-5 and love it. Right away driving 4 miles to work and 4 miles home getting 25 MPG in the city driving. You can't go wrong with this Mazda. Owned 9 Mazda's is a row and never had any problems with them. Best looking SUV for the Money. Very smooth ride and excellent visability. I have the Touring model that has the 17" Wheels that I think has a little better ride than the Grand Touring with the 19" Just my opinion. Mazda has the looks and reliability. Honda CRV Boring, RAV4 Ugly, Kia Sportage has the looks but not sure on reliability. Just go and look at the Mazda and you will be impressed.

Only One Zoom
By lennye on 08/05/12 14:21 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Though advertised as zoom-zoom, due to its weight is about 600 pounds heavier than my previous 2007 Mazda 3 sedan, I was only able to "zoom" but well aware of its speed is slower than the other 2 CUVs that I've looked at, Outback and CR-V. The CR-V has the softest ride but subjectively I cannot deal w/ it on a daily basis. However, the interior design and features are the best. The Outback appears to be lower and I like the backup camera view located on the rear-view mirror, but I do not need AWD or its mileage penalty. The CX-5 is a good compromise and it's my 4th Mazda. Other than slow, I like the weighted and leather-wrapped steering wheel. Love the price too w/ all the features.

Zoom x 2
By carolinapirate on 07/28/12 18:36 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Just purchased a CX-5 touring a week ago and love it! I have been thinking about trading my '03 Ford Explorer for over a year, but could not decide which vehicle would be functional and get good gas mileage. I really wanted to wait for the 2013 Ford Escape and buy American again. After test-driving the Escape, I liked the way it handled and it had a little more power than the Mazda, but it had 2 recalls within 2 weeks shortly after launching, so I decided to buy the Mazda. I have been very happy, so far. Averaging 28 mpg with combined city/hwy driving (and playing around with the manual shift mode). There is some tire noise, but not too bad. Heard it before, but Mazdas are fun to drive!

Exemplary vehicle - Mazda sets the standard again.
By govind_nair on 07/27/12 14:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Its hard to come by a crossover SUV which gives exceptional mileage combined with excellent sports-car like driving dynamics and styling all at a competitively great price. Its just a practical and fun to drive car with a brand new Skyactiv engine & 6-speed transmission along with impressive interior space & wheelbase. The tactile steering feedback is excellent. I really like the blind spot monitoring feature. The interior is simple and elegant with high quality materials. The GT Technology package is not necessary in my opinion. Even though it only has 155HP power, you can feel what the Mazda engineers have tried to achieve in this vehicle with the SkyActive engine and suite of technologies

fun sporty feel, gets compliments, 29 mpg
By wowza3 on 07/06/12 17:44 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My frame of reference is comparing this with other autos I've owned. I just ordered a cx5 2013 awd stripped down Sport in April and it arrived from japan mid June. The blue color on the catalog color cover is exactly right not the color on the inside color option page. Lift the hood at a dealer and the engine block on all types (I suspect) is blue- that's the blue I got and I love it. The kids have these complaints.: cup holders, back window to small, more room in the van. I am missing armrests, like the van has. My van gets 23 mpg awd, this gets 29 awd. Manual shift is odd, better gas not using it anyway. It has a more active ride- don'tdrink coffee on a rough road! Overall I like it.

Faithful Honda owner Switch to Mazda
By sasha4life on 06/29/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

For many years I have been a faithful honda owner. I recently purchase the Mazda CX-5 FWD with tech pckg. It was a very difficult decison for me because I owned a 2006 Honda Civic. The decision was difficult because with the Civic I got 40 mpg. And with the CX5 in my research it only get 32 mpg. I switch because I use to own a Honda CRV and I missed having the CRV. I looked at Kia, Honda, Hyundai. None of those came close to the mileage or additional options you get with the CX5. I've only had the car for 3 days. So far it's a great vehicle to drive. It could be the bells n whistle of a new car that I'm liking. Taking it on 4th july vacation. Will update comments

"The Miata of SUV's"
By jeffyb on 06/20/12 13:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned two Miatas and loved them. I also traded my 2007 Honda CRV for a CX5 GT with AWD. I drove the new CRV as well. It's very nice and engine feels a bit more powerful than the CX5 but there is no comparison in handling. The CRV is more luxurious in ride & handling (softer). But the CX5 handles like a sports sedan -- amazing for an SUV! Seats feel like they were pulled from the BMW M-Sport parts bin (no kidding). Very comfortable, solid and so far I am averaging 28.1 mpg around town (with a bit over 1000 miles). That is WAY better than I did with my CRV (about 23 mpg). I can fit to adult bikes in the back with the seats folded! If you want a sporty, efficient SUV, this is it!

The Best of the Mazda 3 and CX-7
By billybobii on 06/08/12 17:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a new CX-5 Grand Touring auto. I have owned a Mazda 3 and CX-7. The 3 was a pleasure to drive: peppy, comfortable, great mileage, and quite reliable. The 5, in my opinion retains those characteristics. The new styling and amenities are far superior to those that were included in the 3 and CX-7. The CX-5 seems more compact in design than the 7; however, it has as much or more storage capacity. As noted below the car is somewhat under powered, but is still a zoom zoom car to drive. Mazda has taken the best of the 3 and 7 and produced a really great SkyActiv CX-5.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$150 per month*