Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Buzzing with acceleration; ? electrical issue?
By pgkuma

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Just bought a silver Sport manual 1 month ago. One COLD night, the car wouldn't start (1 week old!). AAA noted battery had lost a minimal amount of charge (windows and lights worked fine). Then all the warning lights came on at once when tried to start. He reprogrammed something by using the key in the door. Started right after that, but seemed to run a bit more sluggishly. Next day, the dealer looked it over. Erased and reprogrammed the computer and replaced the battery. No problems since then. Wife noted a REALLY subtel buzzing ("cricket-like") from driver dash area, when pushing the gas. Have to turn radio off to hear it.

Gas mileage (31+mgp in ~70/30 hwy/city). Handling.

Manual in all trims. Add the extra hp in 2014 Sport level. Leather and other more luxury options for Sport level. Make more Manuals available (there were only about 3 manuals avail in 7 state region). More color options for manuals.

What car do these other people have?
By vitden21

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have read other reviews of the CX5 and am wondering what I'm missing. I purchased the Touring model with the Bose/moonroof package. The Bose system is pretty awful. All the sound seems to come out of the center speaker. The vocals sound tinny and no adjustment of the treble and bass seem to make much difference unless bass is turned all the way up and treble all the way down. And the interior is so cheaply made! The floor carpeting pulls away every time I try to remove the floor mats to vacuum.The driver side cloth covered armrest is already showing some sign of wear and I've only had the vehicle for 30 days. Very disappointing. So is the bird chirping sound the engine started making.

Gas mileage is good. Blind spot alert is nice feature.

Upgrade the cloth interior and if they're going to offer a premium sound package - make it premium.

3,000 miles and counting....
By dwbinnwa

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

As a 6 foot 4 inch man, I was worried about this vehicle. However a test drive proved I had nothing to fear. I can easily get in and out with plenty of room once nestled in the soft leather seat. The styling is impressive, with an aggressive looking nose and a well done interior. The sun roof, reverse camera, Bose sound system, and easy to collapse rear seats are also positives. This SUV isn't going to throw you back in your seat when accelerating, but it is quick enough for my purposes and haven't found myself wanting more.

I must admit I didn't give much attention to the blind spot detector when researching this vehicle. However, it has been a tremendous feature that truly has saved me from disaster a couple of times. The bluetooth and SIRIUS has been handy as well. As to MPG, I've been happy with a combined 29 miles according to the in dash display. Compared to the truck I had (18 mpg) I'm in heaven.

A special note to Mazda. You must, repeat must, design future CX-5's with lighting in the back hatch area. There is no way, without using my cell phone flashlight app, to see what in the heck I'm doing back there at night. Also, the less than amazing GPS system is something that could be upgraded. Also noticing that when letting off the gas when going down hill, the engine will ramp up the rpm for some reason....gonna watch that. Those are the only things I can think of that need attention. Overall, quite happy with my first Mazda purchase.

Greatest value and performance.
By xatharon

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my CX-5 in july, I have over 7,000 miles on it already and it has not made one peep. I drive it like a maniac in a mountainous area and still get average of 26 mpg, which is more than the computer calculated mpg. I just put it through a dangerous off-road test and it performed admirably. Two and a half inches of snow over grass and frozen mud, it drove through it like on asphalt on a hot summer day. I have done 125 miles per hour on the highway. I have not seen any reason to miss my V-6 turbocharged car, sure it does not take off on the line but it is not a race car, it still beats most vehicles. The transmission is the best I have seen outside of a Porsche.

It will not blow your mind with gadgets. I have the Technology package and the Bose sound is good, the navigation is excellent. I don't know what the critics are complaining about. The car doesn't drive itself, I guess that is the problem with the navigation. I cannot speak for standard audio equipment. Everything you find in the cabin is tried and true. It may look a little boring but it will not break down on you or cause you any headaches. If it ever malfunctions it will be really easy to fix. I recently had to deal with the awesome but insane set up of Ford's mytouch and I tell you I'll stick to old fashion in this one. The seating is very comfortable.

There is a little road noise but remember that it is an economy vehicle. For the price though you get more than any other SUV, crossover or not. Plus the best MPG of any non hybrid SUV. I wished they had a dual climate control option for the lower models and it could use a standard dash compass. But that is nitpicking in an already good package. I shopped for three months, comparing all sorts of vehicles and SUV's. The only car I missed on was the Subaru Crosstreck. I have to tell you that it is the best small SUV you can buy. Drives great in any terrain and goes easy on your wallet. Beats all the rest crossovers and SUV's in every category hands down.

Great looking comfortable CUV
By glennm76

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the cx5 over 3 months ago and it has almost 3,000 miles. I am only getting about 24 miles per gallon, but i do have the 4wd and mostly city driving. I like the looks of the car. My prior car was a 2010 rav4 limited v6 AWD. I have test drove almost all of the CUVs out there. I liked the CX5 the best. It handles great on the road, takes corners like a sports car and very comfortable. It can use more power, but has enough for everyday driving. The leather seats are very comfortable. Nice and roomy inside. I got the nav, which does kinda suck. But the bluetooth is great and the Bose stereo sounds excellent. I love the blind spot detection. My very first Mazda. No problems so far.

Looks, comfortable, Bose stereo, blind spot det. Projection head lights. Breaking, corning. Smart key. Remote start. Nice well built car.

The tomtom nav sucks. The tranny switches into higher gears to early.