Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

gas mileage
By robert_suv

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I own a CX5 AWD with a hitch. I have reviewed this car when it was new and I am now reviewing it after one years worth of driving.
The most impressive feature for me is the outstanding gas mileage in this car. I recently hyper- tested my mileage for about 100 miles over flat and/or gently rolling country roads with a fair amount of traffic and squeezed about 40 MPG from the car. I average 35mpg normally. The info gauge seemed slightly generous with a reading of about 45mpg. I set the info gauge to averaging mode which is a little confusing as to how it calculates it's figure but I'm not complaining too much. The handling is outstanding although over bumpy road conditions it is a bit harsh.

Style, handling and gas mileage.

The fold down seats in the back could lay flatter. The radio shuts off when turning off the engine and to get it back on is a wait of a few seconds. The key fob shape is not user friendly (the lock & unlock buttons are identical in shape/feel).

Great Car but climate Control does not work correctly
By newowner10

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My only real complaint is the Automatic Climate Control is not automatic. If the outdoor temperature is 85 Degrees and the temperature is set to 62F on the automatic temperature control the blower will run at 50% and slow down in 5 minutes to 25%. After 30 minutes of driving the temperature in the car is 78 degrees.
The dealer said this is normal. I sent an E-Mail to customer care, a week later they repeated what the dealer said and would not take any further action on behalf. This causes me to have to manually maintain the temperature by varying the fan speed and switching the air intake. I can only assume all of the CX-5's (Possibly all Mazda's)will operate the same way. Be AWARE of this.

The Transmission shifts perfectly, Nice Interior, Great gas Mileage (29.5 around town). Key-less ignition is something I did not think would be useful I was wrong. Nice Bose Radio, could use a real "Sub-Woofer" for better sound.

Fix the Climate Control. Improve customer Care.

Detailed Review of my new2014 CX-5
By nkrishna

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I practically researched the following small SUV's before settling down for the CX-5:
1. Mazda CX-5
2. 2013 Rav 4 Limited Edition 4WD
3. 2013 Honda CRV EX-L with Navi - 4WD
4. Acura RDX 2WD with Tech Package
5. Infiniti EX 37
6. Ford Escape

I test drove all the above, some even multiple times to cross compare.

There were others on my list which I did not test drive:
1. Buick - Encore
2. Chevy - Traverse
3. Jeep - Grand Cherokee. (The new small version was still not out)

Finally, settled for CX-5 more from a value for money, fun to drive aspect. I have a blue color CX-5, AWD, GT, Tech Pack.

Most Favorite features are: 1. Blind Spot Monitor - It is really the best I tested among the others. RAV4 has it. Honda CRV and Acura RDX have forgotten about it 2. Fantastick Handling on the road 3. Fun to drive even in the city. Great handling on the freeway and fantastic steering response. It is really far better than the RAV4 sport mode. 4. Rear Seat space - When compared to the others in the list, the seats are flat 5. Rear Seat belt position for center installation of car seat 6. Simple and nice instrument cluster and center console design 7. Bose Audio system - It rocks 8. The Engine and Transmission is simply superb.

1. Power Liftgate - High time that Mazda considers this to compete against the escape and rav-4 2. Smart City Brake - I wonder whether it really works. I dont think i can risk to rear end another vehicle to test if this works 3. Add a Mode Button to the steering wheel to change between different audio sources. How did Mazda forget this? 4. A mirror to watch the kids at the back - Honda CRV has this 5. Seat Memory - RAV-4 Has this. 6. Bigger Sunglass Holder. Wonder which sunglass fits in this small space. 7. Bluetooth does not list songs from the phone. A SW upgrade should be able to do this.

Nice handling, little else
By djd123

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for something with a little more cargo capacity than my old rsx last year, and was really taken by how well the cx-5 handled during the test drive.
I did not think the low-powered engine would be much of a problem.
I was wrong.
Going up hills with a single passenger and two dogs in the back, the car made a lot of noise with very little movement.
It also felt cheaply put together.
After about a month of ownership, the driver's seat squeaked like an old mattress.
The stock radio and speakers are utter trash.
Lots of little rattles and vibrations that I didn't notice during the test drive.

Like many others have stated, this car handles really well for what it is. It can be a lot of fun to drive as long as you stay on flat land. Cargo capacity and fuel economy are also good. I think it looks ok, though I don't think it will age well.

More power. They have added this for 2014, but it's a shame that they're keeping the same engine for the sport/manual model. Better quality control. No excuse for squeaky seats so soon after purchase. An improved sound system would also be nice. Mazda must have paid next to nothing for something that sounds so terrible.

Some problems I've had so far
By lj9

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have a fully loaded 2013 model. KMs not as promised, I do have all wheel drive and don't live on flatlands though. I have had to change so far: GPS - old one turned off for no reason and was always searching for a signal, changed driver mirror, vibrated over 100 km, back up camera, went blank after one week.
Current problem - anti lock brakes kicks in at low speed on dry road.
Mazda dealer cannot find problem, would no show up on test drive with mechanic. Mirror sensor flashes on left turns, passenger side sensor does not detect sudden lane change from other cars. A/C takes forever to cool car.

Handles really well in snow, easy to park, great tech system, compact, takes regular gas.

Inside interior scratches easily, looks worn already, seat adjustments on passenger side manual.