Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

cruise and gas problems
By rich186

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car last May, Great til Aug. On a trip when cruise went from 2400 to 6000 rpm. Happened 4 times. Thought the engine was going to blow. Highway gas mileage went from low 30s to upper 20s. Since 1-1-13 have avg. 31 in the city and 29 on hwy trips. Mazda says there is nothing wrong with the car. I live where its flat. Cruise goes into passing gear when going up the slightest incline. Again Mazda says thats normal and its saving gas by doing that. Service manager told me today that mpg hwy is only good up to 60. After that your mpg will decrease. Sky inactiv tech. Am going to try to see if Mazda USA can help but I guess it will be like hitting my head against a wall.

Update to driver from Salt Lake City
By utahdriver

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the auto I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on, and engine is off. Then shift into park and finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car.

Just a great car, test drive one before you decide on another brand.

Caution to CX-5 buyers
By zoomed_out

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Hold your horses. We have a 2013 CX-5 that had the transmission go out. The dealer has had it for a month and replaced parts in the transmission twice now with no success. They can't get the vehicle started. They have been in contact with Mazda, with no success so far. We have attempted to contact Mazda USA, with no success do to their website being down. ...?... We bought all of the options that were available for a total of 40K and now we are driving a rental car from Enterprise with a threat that if anyone dings it, we will have to pay $500 no questions asked. Thank you Alan Webb. We have never heard from Mazda Care to date.

My favorite Mazda yet!
By asilver89

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my zeal red 2013 Mazda CX-5 in AWD touring package in January 2013. I absolutely love this vehicle! This is my 3rd Mazda. My first was a 2004 3 touring (GS), and the second was a 2007 3 GT Sport hatch. I purchased the CX-5 because I wanted an awd vehicle with good fuel economy. The exterior is beautiful, interior is simple, yet clean and easy to look at. Fuel economy is wonderful (actually better than my Mazda 3GT was!) I have no complaints about this purchase. Yes it is slightly underpowered, but I only notice that while merging onto the highway. I almost bought a CX-7 I test drove a few months prior to this and WOW am I ever glad I didn't.

Excellent fuel economy (I average 7 L / 100 km) Blind spot monitoring is a great feature TONS of room Lots of leg room for passengers in the back Fun to drive- handles the road well

The moon roof does not "tilt" as the moon roof in my old 3 did. It only slides open. I wish the option to tilt was there, as both previous Mazda's I owned had both options.

Buzzing with acceleration; ? electrical issue?
By pgkuma

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Just bought a silver Sport manual 1 month ago. One COLD night, the car wouldn't start (1 week old!). AAA noted battery had lost a minimal amount of charge (windows and lights worked fine). Then all the warning lights came on at once when tried to start. He reprogrammed something by using the key in the door. Started right after that, but seemed to run a bit more sluggishly. Next day, the dealer looked it over. Erased and reprogrammed the computer and replaced the battery. No problems since then. Wife noted a REALLY subtel buzzing ("cricket-like") from driver dash area, when pushing the gas. Have to turn radio off to hear it.

Gas mileage (31+mgp in ~70/30 hwy/city). Handling.

Manual in all trims. Add the extra hp in 2014 Sport level. Leather and other more luxury options for Sport level. Make more Manuals available (there were only about 3 manuals avail in 7 state region). More color options for manuals.