21005 miles so far
By monicacath on
2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)
I've owned this vehicle since April. It now has 21005 miles on it. The following is my experience with this CX5 Grand Touring FWD. Mazda, the Tom Tom navigation system is a HUGE disappointment. I've updated the maps (twice) using Tom Tom home (which one must be able to do on their own home computer- you out of luck if youíre not tech savvy), and it factory reset 4 time ( based on the recommendation of the Tom Tom support staff) This hasnít helped. The GPS has lead me down dead end roads, constantly lost the GPS signal in the middle of a route, routed traffic the absolutely longest route possible, instructed me to turn with no road, jumped off the route into neighborhoods along the interstate and navigated thru neighborhoods Iíd rather have not visited. The navigation system has limited ability to zoom out so one could see a ďshort cutĒ or the way to the nears main road. Once zoomed out, it loses the small roads. It has been in the Mazda shop twice. Today, they are putting a new antenna on the vehicle. I no longer trust the navigation system, (which is one reason I bought this vehicle) . I keep my Droid phone available and a paper map. This was never an issue when I owned a Honda Touring Van- with maps on it from 2007. Next, when programing the GSP ( BECAUSE OF SAFETY LOCK IT CAN ONLY BE PROGRAMED WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NOT IN MOTION) this is a HUGE safety issue for me. At times, I just want to get out of a neighborhood, as a home health nurse. Iíve learned donít keep driving somewhere I donít know, however, stopping is not such a good plan either. While programing the GPS, the air conditioner vent freezes my hand. There is no back air, so people sitting in the back seat are forced to sweat while the air is turned off, or the one programming the GSP must take breaks to warm their hands to keep them from freezing. The driverís seat has clips which are supposed to hold the leather material clipped to the underneath side of the seat. These clips continually come unattached causing the seat material to slide around. This will have to be replaced. There is no arm rest for the driverís seat right side. The left arm can use the door. Iíve had to use a pillow to support my arm on long trips. Obviously I have driven quite a bit since late April with 21005 miles. A back light at the hatchback would be MOST helpful while loading and unloading at night. The little lights in the front and middle do not offer enough light for the rear of the car. My tire sensor has gone off, indicating a low tire. Which one?? Who knows! There is no indication of which tire, so each and every tire must be checked. The mechanic who checked it in a small town in northern Arkansas said each tire had exactly the specified air. Mazda hooked it up to the computer and I was told that my tire was low, however it was fine now. I added no air, and did not have the tires rotated (which may cause a problem Ií was told). But now, miraculously, the air has been restored. I wonder if there is a faulty sensor? Gas mileage has been between 26 and 30 in the city (I have lots of hills here) and 30 Ė 33 on the highway. It takes a little umph to get this car moving to pass. These are all little things Ė except the navigation system-. I love my heated seats, automatic garage door opener, the sporty style, the amazing rocking sound system and the overall drive. Would I buy it againÖ. Maybe Update: Mazda dealership bent over backwards, lending me a Garmin to attach to the dashboard and after several attempts, including replacing the GPS system and antenna, the GPS is working. It occasionally loses signal and goes into the searching for GPS signal mode, however this is rare. The Tom Tom system isnít as user friendly as the Honda system, Google maps or a Garmin, however using Tom Tom and Google maps, I have an accurate map.