Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

The seats were more comfortable that the seats in the Chevy Equinox, not as pricey as a Rav 4, or Equinox. I didn't consider trying a Ford Escape, I didn't even give for a try, their quality usually is inferior. I am not happy with the layout for the window wipers, headlights, and cruise control. Then again I am used to the Chevy layout for these! I settled on Mazda for price, comfort, and quality. Time will tell if I made the correct choice for a new car. This is my first time for owning a brand new car, I have always owned used cars. I kept my Chevy Van for 10 years it had 210K miles on it when sold, and it was 4 years old when I bought it, it will be nice to see how long I keep this one.

Make the Cruise control, and windshield wiper control more like those found on the Chevy's. have automatic headlights on, not just the running lights.

Best of the current breed
By tenfour

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Doing as much research as possible on the current market led me to the CX-5. A long term RAV4 owner with friends who drive Subarus provided some first hand insight on my most likely competitor candidates. Yet a test drive--along with some nudging from style--made the decision an easy one. I settled on a Touring AWD with Sunroof and Bose. So far I'm pleased with the driving experience, style, value and comfort. Any negatives? Yes, for a dozen reasons, I wish I did NOT purchase the Bose audio system. What a waste of $ not to mention effort I'll expend to replace it with something less annoying.

Skyactive MPG, style, driving characteristics, control layout, safety, value, form/function. I'm hopeful that Skyactive also means high reliability for the long term. Appears that real engineers/car guys were given free reign to design and build it--nice!

For any audiophile or music lover, the upgraded audio system by Bose is an insult. Mazda did most everything right, why blow it with this annoying and artificial audio system? It's so offending with some audio sources I had to just turn it off; stock would have been better. The style of the vehicle's front is attractive yet the lower lip may take something away from off-road capability. This is very minor to me but may be less so to some Subaru owners.

BEWARE MAZDA! Bad!
By bluzone2

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

The Sky Blue was a pretty color before the clear coat gave away in the first six months. Now it is all pocked marked and scaly as a lizard. My fingernail accidentally left a permanent groove.

Worst Paint I Have Ever Seen On A Vehicle. Mazda does not accept responsibility for it and You Are Hosed. Mazda: Do Not Advertise 32 highway and 28 city. That is fraudulent. You Will Not get that fuel efficiency. Even with cruise control and a granny foot, good luck. I just cracked 26.0 and I primarily drive interstates and throughway. Mazda: do the right thing and Fix Your Rotten Paint. Improve the quality of your leather as it is crappy compared to its competitors. The Bose speakers: they sound like knock-offs. Very tinny. I have Bose in my house and These Are Not My Bose. Do Not Buy This Vehicle for the posted and Erroneous Fuel Efficiency, Paint, the Leather, or the Speakers.

Best Crossover
By armtech

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around,

Blind spot monitoring system, Made in Japan, rearview camera, most MPG in the category. it looks as an SUV but drives like a car,

Diesel version it will be awesome in the states,

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3. The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads. Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo. But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway. The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power. Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

Layout of controls, smartkey system, HID headlights

Engine (though this seems to have been remediated for 2014 with the more powerful 2.5 engine option). Transmission lag. The LCD display for the audio and nav is too small.