2013 Mazda CX-5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
gas mileage
By robert_suv on 07/29/13 08:28 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I own a CX5 AWD with a hitch. I have reviewed this car when it was new and I am now reviewing it after one years worth of driving. The most impressive feature for me is the outstanding gas mileage in this car. I recently hyper- tested my mileage for about 100 miles over flat and/or gently rolling country roads with a fair amount of traffic and squeezed about 40 MPG from the car. I average 35mpg normally. The info gauge seemed slightly generous with a reading of about 45mpg. I set the info gauge to averaging mode which is a little confusing as to how it calculates it's figure but I'm not complaining too much. The handling is outstanding although over bumpy road conditions it is a bit harsh.

Great Car but climate Control does not work correctly
By newowner10 on 06/19/13 18:43 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My only real complaint is the Automatic Climate Control is not automatic. If the outdoor temperature is 85 Degrees and the temperature is set to 62F on the automatic temperature control the blower will run at 50% and slow down in 5 minutes to 25%. After 30 minutes of driving the temperature in the car is 78 degrees. The dealer said this is normal. I sent an E-Mail to customer care, a week later they repeated what the dealer said and would not take any further action on behalf. This causes me to have to manually maintain the temperature by varying the fan speed and switching the air intake. I can only assume all of the CX-5's (Possibly all Mazda's)will operate the same way. Be AWARE of this.

Detailed Review of my new2014 CX-5
By nkrishna on 05/29/13 00:15 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I practically researched the following small SUV's before settling down for the CX-5: 1. Mazda CX-5 2. 2013 Rav 4 Limited Edition 4WD 3. 2013 Honda CRV EX-L with Navi - 4WD 4. Acura RDX 2WD with Tech Package 5. Infiniti EX 37 6. Ford Escape I test drove all the above, some even multiple times to cross compare. There were others on my list which I did not test drive: 1. Buick - Encore 2. Chevy - Traverse 3. Jeep - Grand Cherokee. (The new small version was still not out) Finally, settled for CX-5 more from a value for money, fun to drive aspect. I have a blue color CX-5, AWD, GT, Tech Pack.

Nice handling, little else
By djd123 on 05/12/13 17:02 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for something with a little more cargo capacity than my old rsx last year, and was really taken by how well the cx-5 handled during the test drive. I did not think the low-powered engine would be much of a problem. I was wrong. Going up hills with a single passenger and two dogs in the back, the car made a lot of noise with very little movement. It also felt cheaply put together. After about a month of ownership, the driver's seat squeaked like an old mattress. The stock radio and speakers are utter trash. Lots of little rattles and vibrations that I didn't notice during the test drive.

Some problems I've had so far
By lj9 on 05/08/13 09:12 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have a fully loaded 2013 model. KMs not as promised, I do have all wheel drive and don't live on flatlands though. I have had to change so far: GPS - old one turned off for no reason and was always searching for a signal, changed driver mirror, vibrated over 100 km, back up camera, went blank after one week. Current problem - anti lock brakes kicks in at low speed on dry road. Mazda dealer cannot find problem, would no show up on test drive with mechanic. Mirror sensor flashes on left turns, passenger side sensor does not detect sudden lane change from other cars. A/C takes forever to cool car.

Mazda cx-5
By chels_moore on 04/28/13 22:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Awesome car, lots of fun to drive.

CX-5 PROBLEMS
By ubaldovarela on 04/08/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had this car for 3 month 10,000 miles So far many problems showing up Excessive gas consumption is not as dealers told me from 11.0l/km to 11.0km/h in the city without AC an only driver In emergency situation you can go over 160km/h only down hill you can get 180km/h although limit in the car is 190km/h The battery will discharge after couple hrs. when you're in music and you will need AAA to restart your car A lot of noises inside of the car seems like old car and the noise of the engine is like a oil issue The blind spot monitor is not good to trust because sometimes can not detect a big truck in one side of you or sometimes stay active all time without cars in the sides & more.

After one week
By awolowa on 04/01/13 10:27 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

This car makes weird noises. The motor sounds like birds chirping and it makes me nervous. Is it supposed to sound like this? Sure wish I had a rear camera. The visibility is bad over the shoulder. Interior noise is fair. Car is bulky for it's actual size. Handling is pretty amazing. Really holds the road. Very fun drive. However very little power, but probably enough for normal driving. Not a race car, but kinda handles like one. Boasts some good gas mileage, but haven't experienced that yet. I hope it's just because it needs to be "broken in".

cruise and gas problems
By rich186 on 03/29/13 17:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car last May, Great til Aug. On a trip when cruise went from 2400 to 6000 rpm. Happened 4 times. Thought the engine was going to blow. Highway gas mileage went from low 30s to upper 20s. Since 1-1-13 have avg. 31 in the city and 29 on hwy trips. Mazda says there is nothing wrong with the car. I live where its flat. Cruise goes into passing gear when going up the slightest incline. Again Mazda says thats normal and its saving gas by doing that. Service manager told me today that mpg hwy is only good up to 60. After that your mpg will decrease. Sky inactiv tech. Am going to try to see if Mazda USA can help but I guess it will be like hitting my head against a wall.

Update to driver from Salt Lake City
By utahdriver on 03/21/13 20:47 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the auto I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on, and engine is off. Then shift into park and finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 in VA is:

$148 per month*