Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda Cx-5 - Consumer Reviews

2013 Mazda CX-5

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Best of the current breed
By tenfour

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Doing as much research as possible on the current market led me to the CX-5. A long term RAV4 owner with friends who drive Subarus provided some first hand insight on my most likely competitor candidates. Yet a test drive--along with some nudging from style--made the decision an easy one. I settled on a Touring AWD with Sunroof and Bose. So far I'm pleased with the driving experience, style, value and comfort. Any negatives? Yes, for a dozen reasons, I wish I did NOT purchase the Bose audio system. What a waste of $ not to mention effort I'll expend to replace it with something less annoying.

Favorite Features

Skyactive MPG, style, driving characteristics, control layout, safety, value, form/function. I'm hopeful that Skyactive also means high reliability for the long term. Appears that real engineers/car guys were given free reign to design and build it--nice!

Suggested Improvements

For any audiophile or music lover, the upgraded audio system by Bose is an insult. Mazda did most everything right, why blow it with this annoying and artificial audio system? It's so offending with some audio sources I had to just turn it off; stock would have been better. The style of the vehicle's front is attractive yet the lower lip may take something away from off-road capability. This is very minor to me but may be less so to some Subaru owners.

BEWARE MAZDA! Bad!
By bluzone2

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

Favorite Features

The Sky Blue was a pretty color before the clear coat gave away in the first six months. Now it is all pocked marked and scaly as a lizard. My fingernail accidentally left a permanent groove.

Suggested Improvements

Worst Paint I Have Ever Seen On A Vehicle. Mazda does not accept responsibility for it and You Are Hosed. Mazda: Do Not Advertise 32 highway and 28 city. That is fraudulent. You Will Not get that fuel efficiency. Even with cruise control and a granny foot, good luck. I just cracked 26.0 and I primarily drive interstates and throughway. Mazda: do the right thing and Fix Your Rotten Paint. Improve the quality of your leather as it is crappy compared to its competitors. The Bose speakers: they sound like knock-offs. Very tinny. I have Bose in my house and These Are Not My Bose. Do Not Buy This Vehicle for the posted and Erroneous Fuel Efficiency, Paint, the Leather, or the Speakers.

Best Crossover
By armtech

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around,

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring system, Made in Japan, rearview camera, most MPG in the category. it looks as an SUV but drives like a car,

Suggested Improvements

Diesel version it will be awesome in the states,

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3. The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads. Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo. But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway. The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power. Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

Favorite Features

Layout of controls, smartkey system, HID headlights

Suggested Improvements

Engine (though this seems to have been remediated for 2014 with the more powerful 2.5 engine option). Transmission lag. The LCD display for the audio and nav is too small.

One Year Later
By mary668

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems. Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time. My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast. It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.