2013 Mazda CX-5 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great SUV
By jgc1995

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We have had this car since 2012 and it has been great! It is just the right size for getting around town but with lots of space. AWD gets through the snow without a problem. As many, had to replace the tires at 27,0000 miles.

Favorite Features

Keyless start, gas mileage, back up camera, AWD system, Articulating headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Little snug for someone whom is 6' 3", but comfortable. Possibly a Power-liftgate

Cheap tires. Cheap Bose speakers.
By fayetteal

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Yokohama tires at 27,000 miles are cupping and need new set. Bose speakers are not a true Bose. No pick up and go. Navigator update is not Mac Compatible.

Favorite Features

Back up lights.

Suggested Improvements

Quality tires. True Bose speakers.

CX-5 Grand Touring-(27,500 miles) Fun car but underpowered
By mnvpierson

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I think I was the 2nd person to buy in MN because I was waiting for the cx-5 or the escape whichever came first. Bought the car in Feb of 2012 and have really enjoyed the car and now have 27,500 miles on the car. It is fun to drive. The tires are 19 in and were replaced at 23k and are expensive because they are not a popular size. The only problem is it is underpowered with the 2.0 especially pulling out into traffic or having the car loaded with 5 people, almost unsafe. Would not buy this again but would consider the 2014 which has the bigger engine. I get 32 mpg on the highway and 20 or 21 mpg in the city which is a stop light ever mile or so. For a suv we were happy with the mpg.

Favorite Features

It's cool and sporty looking. It will zoom zoom for you as long as you only have one person in the car. Leather and quality of the car is good. Seating is spacious.

Suggested Improvements

Need to get more power. It is almost unsafe with the way it is. I am glad to hear the new ones have a bigger engine. Transmission seems to downshift funny especially when you stop quickly

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

Favorite Features

The seats were more comfortable that the seats in the Chevy Equinox, not as pricey as a Rav 4, or Equinox. I didn't consider trying a Ford Escape, I didn't even give for a try, their quality usually is inferior. I am not happy with the layout for the window wipers, headlights, and cruise control. Then again I am used to the Chevy layout for these! I settled on Mazda for price, comfort, and quality. Time will tell if I made the correct choice for a new car. This is my first time for owning a brand new car, I have always owned used cars. I kept my Chevy Van for 10 years it had 210K miles on it when sold, and it was 4 years old when I bought it, it will be nice to see how long I keep this one.

Suggested Improvements

Make the Cruise control, and windshield wiper control more like those found on the Chevy's. have automatic headlights on, not just the running lights.

Best of the current breed
By tenfour

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Doing as much research as possible on the current market led me to the CX-5. A long term RAV4 owner with friends who drive Subarus provided some first hand insight on my most likely competitor candidates. Yet a test drive--along with some nudging from style--made the decision an easy one. I settled on a Touring AWD with Sunroof and Bose. So far I'm pleased with the driving experience, style, value and comfort. Any negatives? Yes, for a dozen reasons, I wish I did NOT purchase the Bose audio system. What a waste of $ not to mention effort I'll expend to replace it with something less annoying.

Favorite Features

Skyactive MPG, style, driving characteristics, control layout, safety, value, form/function. I'm hopeful that Skyactive also means high reliability for the long term. Appears that real engineers/car guys were given free reign to design and build it--nice!

Suggested Improvements

For any audiophile or music lover, the upgraded audio system by Bose is an insult. Mazda did most everything right, why blow it with this annoying and artificial audio system? It's so offending with some audio sources I had to just turn it off; stock would have been better. The style of the vehicle's front is attractive yet the lower lip may take something away from off-road capability. This is very minor to me but may be less so to some Subaru owners.

BEWARE MAZDA! Bad!
By bluzone2

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

Favorite Features

The Sky Blue was a pretty color before the clear coat gave away in the first six months. Now it is all pocked marked and scaly as a lizard. My fingernail accidentally left a permanent groove.

Suggested Improvements

Worst Paint I Have Ever Seen On A Vehicle. Mazda does not accept responsibility for it and You Are Hosed. Mazda: Do Not Advertise 32 highway and 28 city. That is fraudulent. You Will Not get that fuel efficiency. Even with cruise control and a granny foot, good luck. I just cracked 26.0 and I primarily drive interstates and throughway. Mazda: do the right thing and Fix Your Rotten Paint. Improve the quality of your leather as it is crappy compared to its competitors. The Bose speakers: they sound like knock-offs. Very tinny. I have Bose in my house and These Are Not My Bose. Do Not Buy This Vehicle for the posted and Erroneous Fuel Efficiency, Paint, the Leather, or the Speakers.

Best Crossover
By armtech

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around,

Favorite Features

Blind spot monitoring system, Made in Japan, rearview camera, most MPG in the category. it looks as an SUV but drives like a car,

Suggested Improvements

Diesel version it will be awesome in the states,

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3. The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads. Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo. But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway. The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power. Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

Favorite Features

Layout of controls, smartkey system, HID headlights

Suggested Improvements

Engine (though this seems to have been remediated for 2014 with the more powerful 2.5 engine option). Transmission lag. The LCD display for the audio and nav is too small.

One Year Later
By mary668

2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems. Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time. My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast. It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.

Not as expected
By datulip

2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So, I have had this car for about a year and my biggest complaint is the performance. If you don't drive on the freeway this may be the car for you. If you need to get moving quickly - don't even think about it. Secondary issue is the gas mileage. Advertised as 26 city and 32 highway. I have averaged 22 in the city; 28 highway; and 23 mixed. Not much of a consolation for the lackluster engine. Overall the design is pretty good and handling is fair. It does get quite a bit of wind noise. It has been reliable over this first year of ownership with no issues. Last issue - keyless entry isn't really keyless. Must have the key in hand to unlock the doors with this model.

Favorite Features

Good price point, but perhaps an example of getting what you pay for...

Suggested Improvements

Be honest and up front about the car. Don't advertise it as having keyless entry if it doesn't. Don't advertise mileage that it will never achieve (yes, I've tried it with AC off and consistent level driving with few accelerations and it comes close to the advertised amount, but who does this in real life long term?) By all means, ensure that all potential buyers take it on the freeway during a test drive. Buyers be ware! Pay close attention to the acceleration or lack thereof. Last, but certainly not least - fix the headrests! They are terrible. They put the head at a very uncomfortable position if you are a person who sits upright (both my husband & I hate this).