Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews - 23 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Great SUV
By jgc1995

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We have had this car since 2012 and it has been great!
It is just the right size for getting around town but with lots of space.
AWD gets through the snow without a problem.

As many, had to replace the tires at 27,0000 miles.

Keyless start, gas mileage, back up camera, AWD system, Articulating headlights.

Little snug for someone whom is 6' 3", but comfortable. Possibly a Power-liftgate

CX-5 Grand Touring-(27,500 miles) Fun car but underpowered
By mnvpierson

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I think I was the 2nd person to buy in MN because I was waiting for the cx-5 or the escape whichever came first.
Bought the car in Feb of 2012 and have really enjoyed the car and now have 27,500 miles on the car.
It is fun to drive.
The tires are 19 in and were replaced at 23k and are expensive because they are not a popular size. The only problem is it is underpowered with the 2.0 especially pulling out into traffic or having the car loaded with 5 people, almost unsafe.
Would not buy this again but would consider the 2014 which has the bigger engine. I get 32 mpg on the highway and 20 or 21 mpg in the city which is a stop light ever mile or so. For a suv we were happy with the mpg.

It's cool and sporty looking. It will zoom zoom for you as long as you only have one person in the car. Leather and quality of the car is good. Seating is spacious.

Need to get more power. It is almost unsafe with the way it is. I am glad to hear the new ones have a bigger engine. Transmission seems to downshift funny especially when you stop quickly

BEWARE MAZDA! Bad!
By bluzone2

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

The Sky Blue was a pretty color before the clear coat gave away in the first six months. Now it is all pocked marked and scaly as a lizard. My fingernail accidentally left a permanent groove.

Worst Paint I Have Ever Seen On A Vehicle. Mazda does not accept responsibility for it and You Are Hosed. Mazda: Do Not Advertise 32 highway and 28 city. That is fraudulent. You Will Not get that fuel efficiency. Even with cruise control and a granny foot, good luck. I just cracked 26.0 and I primarily drive interstates and throughway. Mazda: do the right thing and Fix Your Rotten Paint. Improve the quality of your leather as it is crappy compared to its competitors. The Bose speakers: they sound like knock-offs. Very tinny. I have Bose in my house and These Are Not My Bose. Do Not Buy This Vehicle for the posted and Erroneous Fuel Efficiency, Paint, the Leather, or the Speakers.

Great Car but climate Control does not work correctly
By newowner10

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My only real complaint is the Automatic Climate Control is not automatic. If the outdoor temperature is 85 Degrees and the temperature is set to 62F on the automatic temperature control the blower will run at 50% and slow down in 5 minutes to 25%. After 30 minutes of driving the temperature in the car is 78 degrees.
The dealer said this is normal. I sent an E-Mail to customer care, a week later they repeated what the dealer said and would not take any further action on behalf. This causes me to have to manually maintain the temperature by varying the fan speed and switching the air intake. I can only assume all of the CX-5's (Possibly all Mazda's)will operate the same way. Be AWARE of this.

The Transmission shifts perfectly, Nice Interior, Great gas Mileage (29.5 around town). Key-less ignition is something I did not think would be useful I was wrong. Nice Bose Radio, could use a real "Sub-Woofer" for better sound.

Fix the Climate Control. Improve customer Care.

Detailed Review of my new2014 CX-5
By nkrishna

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I practically researched the following small SUV's before settling down for the CX-5:
1. Mazda CX-5
2. 2013 Rav 4 Limited Edition 4WD
3. 2013 Honda CRV EX-L with Navi - 4WD
4. Acura RDX 2WD with Tech Package
5. Infiniti EX 37
6. Ford Escape

I test drove all the above, some even multiple times to cross compare.

There were others on my list which I did not test drive:
1. Buick - Encore
2. Chevy - Traverse
3. Jeep - Grand Cherokee. (The new small version was still not out)

Finally, settled for CX-5 more from a value for money, fun to drive aspect. I have a blue color CX-5, AWD, GT, Tech Pack.

Most Favorite features are: 1. Blind Spot Monitor - It is really the best I tested among the others. RAV4 has it. Honda CRV and Acura RDX have forgotten about it 2. Fantastick Handling on the road 3. Fun to drive even in the city. Great handling on the freeway and fantastic steering response. It is really far better than the RAV4 sport mode. 4. Rear Seat space - When compared to the others in the list, the seats are flat 5. Rear Seat belt position for center installation of car seat 6. Simple and nice instrument cluster and center console design 7. Bose Audio system - It rocks 8. The Engine and Transmission is simply superb.

1. Power Liftgate - High time that Mazda considers this to compete against the escape and rav-4 2. Smart City Brake - I wonder whether it really works. I dont think i can risk to rear end another vehicle to test if this works 3. Add a Mode Button to the steering wheel to change between different audio sources. How did Mazda forget this? 4. A mirror to watch the kids at the back - Honda CRV has this 5. Seat Memory - RAV-4 Has this. 6. Bigger Sunglass Holder. Wonder which sunglass fits in this small space. 7. Bluetooth does not list songs from the phone. A SW upgrade should be able to do this.