2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
CX-5 Grand Touring-(27,500 miles) Fun car but underpowered
By mnvpierson on 02/12/14 15:02 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I think I was the 2nd person to buy in MN because I was waiting for the cx-5 or the escape whichever came first. Bought the car in Feb of 2012 and have really enjoyed the car and now have 27,500 miles on the car. It is fun to drive. The tires are 19 in and were replaced at 23k and are expensive because they are not a popular size. The only problem is it is underpowered with the 2.0 especially pulling out into traffic or having the car loaded with 5 people, almost unsafe. Would not buy this again but would consider the 2014 which has the bigger engine. I get 32 mpg on the highway and 20 or 21 mpg in the city which is a stop light ever mile or so. For a suv we were happy with the mpg.

BEWARE MAZDA! Bad!
By bluzone2 on 10/14/13 20:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

Great Car but climate Control does not work correctly
By newowner10 on 06/19/13 18:43 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My only real complaint is the Automatic Climate Control is not automatic. If the outdoor temperature is 85 Degrees and the temperature is set to 62F on the automatic temperature control the blower will run at 50% and slow down in 5 minutes to 25%. After 30 minutes of driving the temperature in the car is 78 degrees. The dealer said this is normal. I sent an E-Mail to customer care, a week later they repeated what the dealer said and would not take any further action on behalf. This causes me to have to manually maintain the temperature by varying the fan speed and switching the air intake. I can only assume all of the CX-5's (Possibly all Mazda's)will operate the same way. Be AWARE of this.

Detailed Review of my new2014 CX-5
By nkrishna on 05/29/13 00:15 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I practically researched the following small SUV's before settling down for the CX-5: 1. Mazda CX-5 2. 2013 Rav 4 Limited Edition 4WD 3. 2013 Honda CRV EX-L with Navi - 4WD 4. Acura RDX 2WD with Tech Package 5. Infiniti EX 37 6. Ford Escape I test drove all the above, some even multiple times to cross compare. There were others on my list which I did not test drive: 1. Buick - Encore 2. Chevy - Traverse 3. Jeep - Grand Cherokee. (The new small version was still not out) Finally, settled for CX-5 more from a value for money, fun to drive aspect. I have a blue color CX-5, AWD, GT, Tech Pack.

Some problems I've had so far
By lj9 on 05/08/13 09:12 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have a fully loaded 2013 model. KMs not as promised, I do have all wheel drive and don't live on flatlands though. I have had to change so far: GPS - old one turned off for no reason and was always searching for a signal, changed driver mirror, vibrated over 100 km, back up camera, went blank after one week. Current problem - anti lock brakes kicks in at low speed on dry road. Mazda dealer cannot find problem, would no show up on test drive with mechanic. Mirror sensor flashes on left turns, passenger side sensor does not detect sudden lane change from other cars. A/C takes forever to cool car.

Mazda cx-5
By chels_moore on 04/28/13 22:56 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Awesome car, lots of fun to drive.

Update to driver from Salt Lake City
By utahdriver on 03/21/13 20:47 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After 2,600 miles everything is going great. The performance is better after the 2,000 mile mark. No problems to date. The last three gas fill-ups used 33 gallons with 921 miles driven, 27.9 miles per gallon in mixed city/highway. This car is very tight and drives like a dream on the highway. I really like the blind spot monitor system and the center rear seat fold down is handy for long items. For you owners with the auto I found that by shifting to Neutral and pressing the engine off button the radio/blue tooth says on, and engine is off. Then shift into park and finish the phone call or radio until you exit. Just push the engine run button twice to completely turn off the car.

Caution to CX-5 buyers
By zoomed_out on 03/01/13 16:50 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Hold your horses. We have a 2013 CX-5 that had the transmission go out. The dealer has had it for a month and replaced parts in the transmission twice now with no success. They can't get the vehicle started. They have been in contact with Mazda, with no success so far. We have attempted to contact Mazda USA, with no success do to their website being down. ...?... We bought all of the options that were available for a total of 40K and now we are driving a rental car from Enterprise with a threat that if anyone dings it, we will have to pay $500 no questions asked. Thank you Alan Webb. We have never heard from Mazda Care to date.

Great looking comfortable CUV
By glennm76 on 02/03/13 13:09 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the cx5 over 3 months ago and it has almost 3,000 miles. I am only getting about 24 miles per gallon, but i do have the 4wd and mostly city driving. I like the looks of the car. My prior car was a 2010 rav4 limited v6 AWD. I have test drove almost all of the CUVs out there. I liked the CX5 the best. It handles great on the road, takes corners like a sports car and very comfortable. It can use more power, but has enough for everyday driving. The leather seats are very comfortable. Nice and roomy inside. I got the nav, which does kinda suck. But the bluetooth is great and the Bose stereo sounds excellent. I love the blind spot detection. My very first Mazda. No problems so far.

Didn't buy a new care to use the warrenty
By ssgoverbey on 01/31/13 12:10 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have owned my Mazda CX5 since May 2012. I keep having problems almost since I bought. The very first thing was the GPS said it was out of date. I tried to update the memory card like it said with TomTom online. Was a big pain. Then was trying to get my trial of satellite radio which didn't work well. Could use some more power. At around 9,000 miles all the warning lights came on, cruse control wouldn't work. Bad battery. Then this last week at around 16,000 miles all warning lights came on again and would not shift. Waiting on some transmission part now. I do not have faith in taking the car on any long road trip now.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$130 per month*