2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926 on 09/03/13 08:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3. The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads. Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo. But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway. The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power. Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

One Year Later
By mary668 on 08/18/13 09:07 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems. Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time. My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast. It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.

CX-5 PROBLEMS
By ubaldovarela on 04/08/13 13:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had this car for 3 month 10,000 miles So far many problems showing up Excessive gas consumption is not as dealers told me from 11.0l/km to 11.0km/h in the city without AC an only driver In emergency situation you can go over 160km/h only down hill you can get 180km/h although limit in the car is 190km/h The battery will discharge after couple hrs. when you're in music and you will need AAA to restart your car A lot of noises inside of the car seems like old car and the noise of the engine is like a oil issue The blind spot monitor is not good to trust because sometimes can not detect a big truck in one side of you or sometimes stay active all time without cars in the sides & more.

3,000 miles and counting....
By dwbinnwa on 02/09/13 16:44 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

As a 6 foot 4 inch man, I was worried about this vehicle. However a test drive proved I had nothing to fear. I can easily get in and out with plenty of room once nestled in the soft leather seat. The styling is impressive, with an aggressive looking nose and a well done interior. The sun roof, reverse camera, Bose sound system, and easy to collapse rear seats are also positives. This SUV isn't going to throw you back in your seat when accelerating, but it is quick enough for my purposes and haven't found myself wanting more.

21005 miles so far
By monicacath on 10/29/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned this vehicle since April. It now has 21005 miles on it. The following is my experience with this CX5 Grand Touring FWD. Mazda, the Tom Tom navigation system is a HUGE disappointment. I've updated the maps (twice) using Tom Tom home (which one must be able to do on their own home computer- you out of luck if you’re not tech savvy), and it factory reset 4 time ( based on the recommendation of the Tom Tom support staff) This hasn’t helped. The GPS has lead me down dead end roads, constantly lost the GPS signal in the middle of a route, routed traffic the absolutely longest route possible, instructed me to turn with no road, jumped off the route into neighborhoods along the interstate and navigated thru neighborhoods I’d rather have not visited. The navigation system has limited ability to zoom out so one could see a “short cut” or the way to the nears main road. Once zoomed out, it loses the small roads. It has been in the Mazda shop twice. Today, they are putting a new antenna on the vehicle. I no longer trust the navigation system, (which is one reason I bought this vehicle) . I keep my Droid phone available and a paper map. This was never an issue when I owned a Honda Touring Van- with maps on it from 2007. Next, when programing the GSP ( BECAUSE OF SAFETY LOCK IT CAN ONLY BE PROGRAMED WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NOT IN MOTION) this is a HUGE safety issue for me. At times, I just want to get out of a neighborhood, as a home health nurse. I’ve learned don’t keep driving somewhere I don’t know, however, stopping is not such a good plan either. While programing the GPS, the air conditioner vent freezes my hand. There is no back air, so people sitting in the back seat are forced to sweat while the air is turned off, or the one programming the GSP must take breaks to warm their hands to keep them from freezing. The driver’s seat has clips which are supposed to hold the leather material clipped to the underneath side of the seat. These clips continually come unattached causing the seat material to slide around. This will have to be replaced. There is no arm rest for the driver’s seat right side. The left arm can use the door. I’ve had to use a pillow to support my arm on long trips. Obviously I have driven quite a bit since late April with 21005 miles. A back light at the hatchback would be MOST helpful while loading and unloading at night. The little lights in the front and middle do not offer enough light for the rear of the car. My tire sensor has gone off, indicating a low tire. Which one?? Who knows! There is no indication of which tire, so each and every tire must be checked. The mechanic who checked it in a small town in northern Arkansas said each tire had exactly the specified air. Mazda hooked it up to the computer and I was told that my tire was low, however it was fine now. I added no air, and did not have the tires rotated (which may cause a problem I’ was told). But now, miraculously, the air has been restored. I wonder if there is a faulty sensor? Gas mileage has been between 26 and 30 in the city (I have lots of hills here) and 30 – 33 on the highway. It takes a little umph to get this car moving to pass. These are all little things – except the navigation system-. I love my heated seats, automatic garage door opener, the sporty style, the amazing rocking sound system and the overall drive. Would I buy it again…. Maybe Update: Mazda dealership bent over backwards, lending me a Garmin to attach to the dashboard and after several attempts, including replacing the GPS system and antenna, the GPS is working. It occasionally loses signal and goes into the searching for GPS signal mode, however this is rare. The Tom Tom system isn’t as user friendly as the Honda system, Google maps or a Garmin, however using Tom Tom and Google maps, I have an accurate map.

Fun Fun Mazda CX5
By miz_mas on 08/12/12 05:54 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Since last year, I've researched, tested-drive compact SUVs include RAV4, CRV, X3, Rogue. When CX5 was available, made my trip to the delarship, tested drive a Touring and I was hooked on CX5. I ended buying the Grand Touring with Tech package, which is ideal for a busy working professional like me, with weekend drive-around with my two dogs. The driving is smooth, love the look, love the rear view camera, the BSM is awesome, the drive is smooth and the price is a steal! This is my fun ride! Zoom zoom.

Exemplary vehicle - Mazda sets the standard again.
By govind_nair on 07/27/12 14:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Its hard to come by a crossover SUV which gives exceptional mileage combined with excellent sports-car like driving dynamics and styling all at a competitively great price. Its just a practical and fun to drive car with a brand new Skyactiv engine & 6-speed transmission along with impressive interior space & wheelbase. The tactile steering feedback is excellent. I really like the blind spot monitoring feature. The interior is simple and elegant with high quality materials. The GT Technology package is not necessary in my opinion. Even though it only has 155HP power, you can feel what the Mazda engineers have tried to achieve in this vehicle with the SkyActive engine and suite of technologies

Faithful Honda owner Switch to Mazda
By sasha4life on 06/29/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

For many years I have been a faithful honda owner. I recently purchase the Mazda CX-5 FWD with tech pckg. It was a very difficult decison for me because I owned a 2006 Honda Civic. The decision was difficult because with the Civic I got 40 mpg. And with the CX5 in my research it only get 32 mpg. I switch because I use to own a Honda CRV and I missed having the CRV. I looked at Kia, Honda, Hyundai. None of those came close to the mileage or additional options you get with the CX5. I've only had the car for 3 days. So far it's a great vehicle to drive. It could be the bells n whistle of a new car that I'm liking. Taking it on 4th july vacation. Will update comments

Great with some small annoying stuff
By mary668 on 05/20/12 13:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I have had the car for three weeks. Great! Smooth drive. Quiet and though I know about the driver mirror vibrating over 60mph, not a big problem for me. Fits me well, it is comfortable.

From a Mazda 3S to a CX-5
By jb03 on 05/11/12 16:22 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I was in the market for about a year considering various makes of automobiles. i was actually settling on a sporty sedan to eventually replace my 3S when I came across the new CX-5. I had heard about the new drive train and was initially concerned about the small 2.0L, high compression engine. I contact my dealer and decided to test drive before adding the CX-5 to my list. I was pleasantly surprised. The Skyactive G engine loves to rev and has good pick-up when driving in manual mode where I have control of the shift points. In automatic mode, the transmission logic is designed for fuel economy and need some coaching of the fuel peddle to accelerate. I bought a Mica Red GT with Tech.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$154 per month*