Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3. The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads. Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo. But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway. The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power. Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

Favorite Features

Layout of controls, smartkey system, HID headlights

Suggested Improvements

Engine (though this seems to have been remediated for 2014 with the more powerful 2.5 engine option). Transmission lag. The LCD display for the audio and nav is too small.

One Year Later
By mary668

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems. Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time. My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast. It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.

CX-5 PROBLEMS
By ubaldovarela

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I had this car for 3 month 10,000 miles So far many problems showing up Excessive gas consumption is not as dealers told me from 11.0l/km to 11.0km/h in the city without AC an only driver In emergency situation you can go over 160km/h only down hill you can get 180km/h although limit in the car is 190km/h The battery will discharge after couple hrs. when you're in music and you will need AAA to restart your car A lot of noises inside of the car seems like old car and the noise of the engine is like a oil issue The blind spot monitor is not good to trust because sometimes can not detect a big truck in one side of you or sometimes stay active all time without cars in the sides & more.

Favorite Features

Look like the BMW

Suggested Improvements

Improve the Traction control in the FWD because is not good for the snow and goes really bad The suspension is really hard Is not really saving gas Fix all the noise coming from the inside panels Reduce the noise coming from the engine to the inside Bigger side mirror to have better view Best quality for the Blind spot monitor And fix all the problems that I had with this new model just described

3,000 miles and counting....
By dwbinnwa

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

As a 6 foot 4 inch man, I was worried about this vehicle. However a test drive proved I had nothing to fear. I can easily get in and out with plenty of room once nestled in the soft leather seat. The styling is impressive, with an aggressive looking nose and a well done interior. The sun roof, reverse camera, Bose sound system, and easy to collapse rear seats are also positives. This SUV isn't going to throw you back in your seat when accelerating, but it is quick enough for my purposes and haven't found myself wanting more.

Favorite Features

I must admit I didn't give much attention to the blind spot detector when researching this vehicle. However, it has been a tremendous feature that truly has saved me from disaster a couple of times. The bluetooth and SIRIUS has been handy as well. As to MPG, I've been happy with a combined 29 miles according to the in dash display. Compared to the truck I had (18 mpg) I'm in heaven.

Suggested Improvements

A special note to Mazda. You must, repeat must, design future CX-5's with lighting in the back hatch area. There is no way, without using my cell phone flashlight app, to see what in the heck I'm doing back there at night. Also, the less than amazing GPS system is something that could be upgraded. Also noticing that when letting off the gas when going down hill, the engine will ramp up the rpm for some reason....gonna watch that. Those are the only things I can think of that need attention. Overall, quite happy with my first Mazda purchase.

21005 miles so far
By monicacath

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I've owned this vehicle since April. It now has 21005 miles on it. The following is my experience with this CX5 Grand Touring FWD. Mazda, the Tom Tom navigation system is a HUGE disappointment. I've updated the maps (twice) using Tom Tom home (which one must be able to do on their own home computer- you out of luck if youíre not tech savvy), and it factory reset 4 time ( based on the recommendation of the Tom Tom support staff) This hasnít helped. The GPS has lead me down dead end roads, constantly lost the GPS signal in the middle of a route, routed traffic the absolutely longest route possible, instructed me to turn with no road, jumped off the route into neighborhoods along the interstate and navigated thru neighborhoods Iíd rather have not visited. The navigation system has limited ability to zoom out so one could see a ďshort cutĒ or the way to the nears main road. Once zoomed out, it loses the small roads. It has been in the Mazda shop twice. Today, they are putting a new antenna on the vehicle. I no longer trust the navigation system, (which is one reason I bought this vehicle) . I keep my Droid phone available and a paper map. This was never an issue when I owned a Honda Touring Van- with maps on it from 2007. Next, when programing the GSP ( BECAUSE OF SAFETY LOCK IT CAN ONLY BE PROGRAMED WHEN THE VEHICLE IS NOT IN MOTION) this is a HUGE safety issue for me. At times, I just want to get out of a neighborhood, as a home health nurse. Iíve learned donít keep driving somewhere I donít know, however, stopping is not such a good plan either. While programing the GPS, the air conditioner vent freezes my hand. There is no back air, so people sitting in the back seat are forced to sweat while the air is turned off, or the one programming the GSP must take breaks to warm their hands to keep them from freezing. The driverís seat has clips which are supposed to hold the leather material clipped to the underneath side of the seat. These clips continually come unattached causing the seat material to slide around. This will have to be replaced. There is no arm rest for the driverís seat right side. The left arm can use the door. Iíve had to use a pillow to support my arm on long trips. Obviously I have driven quite a bit since late April with 21005 miles. A back light at the hatchback would be MOST helpful while loading and unloading at night. The little lights in the front and middle do not offer enough light for the rear of the car. My tire sensor has gone off, indicating a low tire. Which one?? Who knows! There is no indication of which tire, so each and every tire must be checked. The mechanic who checked it in a small town in northern Arkansas said each tire had exactly the specified air. Mazda hooked it up to the computer and I was told that my tire was low, however it was fine now. I added no air, and did not have the tires rotated (which may cause a problem Ií was told). But now, miraculously, the air has been restored. I wonder if there is a faulty sensor? Gas mileage has been between 26 and 30 in the city (I have lots of hills here) and 30 Ė 33 on the highway. It takes a little umph to get this car moving to pass. These are all little things Ė except the navigation system-. I love my heated seats, automatic garage door opener, the sporty style, the amazing rocking sound system and the overall drive. Would I buy it againÖ. Maybe Update: Mazda dealership bent over backwards, lending me a Garmin to attach to the dashboard and after several attempts, including replacing the GPS system and antenna, the GPS is working. It occasionally loses signal and goes into the searching for GPS signal mode, however this is rare. The Tom Tom system isnít as user friendly as the Honda system, Google maps or a Garmin, however using Tom Tom and Google maps, I have an accurate map.