2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
Cheap tires. Cheap Bose speakers.
By fayetteal on 06/11/14 14:28 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Yokohama tires at 27,000 miles are cupping and need new set. Bose speakers are not a true Bose. No pick up and go. Navigator update is not Mac Compatible.

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey on 01/20/14 07:30 AM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

Best Crossover
By armtech on 09/06/13 19:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around,

Not as expected
By datulip on 08/12/13 08:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So, I have had this car for about a year and my biggest complaint is the performance. If you don't drive on the freeway this may be the car for you. If you need to get moving quickly - don't even think about it. Secondary issue is the gas mileage. Advertised as 26 city and 32 highway. I have averaged 22 in the city; 28 highway; and 23 mixed. Not much of a consolation for the lackluster engine. Overall the design is pretty good and handling is fair. It does get quite a bit of wind noise. It has been reliable over this first year of ownership with no issues. Last issue - keyless entry isn't really keyless. Must have the key in hand to unlock the doors with this model.

cruise and gas problems
By rich186 on 03/29/13 17:30 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car last May, Great til Aug. On a trip when cruise went from 2400 to 6000 rpm. Happened 4 times. Thought the engine was going to blow. Highway gas mileage went from low 30s to upper 20s. Since 1-1-13 have avg. 31 in the city and 29 on hwy trips. Mazda says there is nothing wrong with the car. I live where its flat. Cruise goes into passing gear when going up the slightest incline. Again Mazda says thats normal and its saving gas by doing that. Service manager told me today that mpg hwy is only good up to 60. After that your mpg will decrease. Sky inactiv tech. Am going to try to see if Mazda USA can help but I guess it will be like hitting my head against a wall.

What car do these other people have?
By vitden21 on 02/17/13 13:11 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Have read other reviews of the CX5 and am wondering what I'm missing. I purchased the Touring model with the Bose/moonroof package. The Bose system is pretty awful. All the sound seems to come out of the center speaker. The vocals sound tinny and no adjustment of the treble and bass seem to make much difference unless bass is turned all the way up and treble all the way down. And the interior is so cheaply made! The floor carpeting pulls away every time I try to remove the floor mats to vacuum.The driver side cloth covered armrest is already showing some sign of wear and I've only had the vehicle for 30 days. Very disappointing. So is the bird chirping sound the engine started making.

Nice Car
By ikerry1 on 12/27/12 08:00 AM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I like my Cx-5. It doesn't have the get up and go my old explorer had, but it has excellent room in the front and back seats and plenty of room in the back when you drop the seats. It has better gas mileage than the Explorer. I like everything about my Cx-5 except the Tom-Tom GPS. It is overpriced and looks like a cartoon. It works most of the time. I have owned my Cx-5 for 4 months now and am happy with my purchase, except the gps. It recently told me to update the maps because the information is 14 months old. I contacted my local dealer and now they want to charge me $280. for an update disk. The GPS cost $500 initially now they want more than half to update it. Good car, bad gps.

After 6,500 miles I still love it
By sdpadsfan on 12/17/12 13:59 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

After months of research and more test drives than I can count, I purchased my CX-5 about 5 months ago. I have not regretted the decision. I am 6'5" tall and needed a family vehicle that was comfortable for me to drive and had room for car seats in the back. I also wanted a vehicle that got good mileage. The CX-5 is perfect for this role and is fun to drive too! I know a lot has been said about lack of power, but I have not had any issues where I thought it needed more power (Disclaimer, my previous car was a 2004 VW Jetta with the 2.0 engine).

Just bought - Love it!!
By sweetride4 on 11/21/12 09:03 AM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought for family of four. Shopped a lot! Once we decided we were okay with less seating capacity and overall size v. the Ford Explorer, Traverse, etc., the search continued for similar SUV feel on smaller scale, including lower price. Looked at Edge, really liked drive, but had to go with used and not so great gas mileage. So, on to the Equinox and Escape.. the Chevy just felt cramped.. even though good looking it just wasn't doing it for me on interior. The advertised prices led us to CX-5 v Escape.. The CX5 just felt right on interior roomy space, comfort and ease/simplicity of dash.Yet had enuf cool features to feel modern and plush. Awesome gas mileage too!! That alone should sell!

Towing with CX5 Touring Model (with 5000 miles)
By kokenfarm on 10/14/12 14:36 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I tow a Waverunner (1500lbs) with my CX5 and it does fine. Went from TN to WI round trip and got 24 miles per gal.while pulling. The SUV does fine pulling the Waverunner in and out of the water. With tow wiring installed the BSM does not work which is to bad. The tow wiring kit has been installed correctly. The Reese type 3 trailer hitch does not rattle while driving. The first hitch installed rattle terribly at 2300 RPMs. Initially my highway gas mileage was lower than expected when not towing (was around 30 mpg), but that is improving as I add mileage; currently getting 33 mpg. The CX5 has plenty of umph you just have to put your foot into it, especially when towing.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Suv in VA is:

$135 per month*