Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Cheap tires. Cheap Bose speakers.
By fayetteal

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Yokohama tires at 27,000 miles are cupping and need new set. Bose speakers are not a true Bose. No pick up and go. Navigator update is not Mac Compatible.

Back up lights.

Quality tires. True Bose speakers.

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

The seats were more comfortable that the seats in the Chevy Equinox, not as pricey as a Rav 4, or Equinox. I didn't consider trying a Ford Escape, I didn't even give for a try, their quality usually is inferior. I am not happy with the layout for the window wipers, headlights, and cruise control. Then again I am used to the Chevy layout for these! I settled on Mazda for price, comfort, and quality. Time will tell if I made the correct choice for a new car. This is my first time for owning a brand new car, I have always owned used cars. I kept my Chevy Van for 10 years it had 210K miles on it when sold, and it was 4 years old when I bought it, it will be nice to see how long I keep this one.

Make the Cruise control, and windshield wiper control more like those found on the Chevy's. have automatic headlights on, not just the running lights.

Best Crossover
By armtech

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around,

Blind spot monitoring system, Made in Japan, rearview camera, most MPG in the category. it looks as an SUV but drives like a car,

Diesel version it will be awesome in the states,

Not as expected
By datulip

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So, I have had this car for about a year and my biggest complaint is the performance. If you don't drive on the freeway this may be the car for you. If you need to get moving quickly - don't even think about it. Secondary issue is the gas mileage. Advertised as 26 city and 32 highway. I have averaged 22 in the city; 28 highway; and 23 mixed. Not much of a consolation for the lackluster engine. Overall the design is pretty good and handling is fair. It does get quite a bit of wind noise. It has been reliable over this first year of ownership with no issues. Last issue - keyless entry isn't really keyless. Must have the key in hand to unlock the doors with this model.

Good price point, but perhaps an example of getting what you pay for...

Be honest and up front about the car. Don't advertise it as having keyless entry if it doesn't. Don't advertise mileage that it will never achieve (yes, I've tried it with AC off and consistent level driving with few accelerations and it comes close to the advertised amount, but who does this in real life long term?) By all means, ensure that all potential buyers take it on the freeway during a test drive. Buyers be ware! Pay close attention to the acceleration or lack thereof. Last, but certainly not least - fix the headrests! They are terrible. They put the head at a very uncomfortable position if you are a person who sits upright (both my husband & I hate this).

cruise and gas problems
By rich186

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car last May, Great til Aug. On a trip when cruise went from 2400 to 6000 rpm. Happened 4 times. Thought the engine was going to blow. Highway gas mileage went from low 30s to upper 20s. Since 1-1-13 have avg. 31 in the city and 29 on hwy trips. Mazda says there is nothing wrong with the car. I live where its flat. Cruise goes into passing gear when going up the slightest incline. Again Mazda says thats normal and its saving gas by doing that. Service manager told me today that mpg hwy is only good up to 60. After that your mpg will decrease. Sky inactiv tech. Am going to try to see if Mazda USA can help but I guess it will be like hitting my head against a wall.