Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport SUV Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

LOVE
By Christina

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I absolutely loved this car. I didn't know how much I loved it until I totaled it and had to get a different car. Everything about it was great. I wish more car manufacturers made cars that had blind side monitors. They added an extra sense of security. Great sound system also. When I totaled it, it had about 105,000 miles on it (I bought it brand new) and it never needed any repairs. The only negative that I will have to say is that the key battery drained quickly and never had time to go get it charged. I could still start the car just without the convenience of the keys being anywhere in the car. I had to hold the key up to the button and push it. But a small price to pay for such a great car. There's so many more positive things I could say about this vehicle but mum tired of typing lol

Zoom Zoom
By Carol

Reliable, comfort driving!

New transmission at 41K miles
By Julie

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle as a certified used vehicle from a dealer @39K miles. The engine had a whine while driving that was always present and not dependent on conditions. The salesman claimed not to be able to hear it. During the test drive. I purchased the vehicle and drove it a little less than 2K miles. I recently received a recall notice about another component and when I brought it back I asked them to road test it to check on the whine. After having the car for a day the service manager called and said the whine was due to a faulty transmission and they have to replace it. With the certified warranty the work is covered so I am not out of pocket, but it doesn't exactly instill confidence in the quality of this vehicle.

Nice handling, little else
By djd123

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for something with a little more cargo capacity than my old rsx last year, and was really taken by how well the cx-5 handled during the test drive.
I did not think the low-powered engine would be much of a problem.
I was wrong.
Going up hills with a single passenger and two dogs in the back, the car made a lot of noise with very little movement.
It also felt cheaply put together.
After about a month of ownership, the driver's seat squeaked like an old mattress.
The stock radio and speakers are utter trash.
Lots of little rattles and vibrations that I didn't notice during the test drive.

Like many others have stated, this car handles really well for what it is. It can be a lot of fun to drive as long as you stay on flat land. Cargo capacity and fuel economy are also good. I think it looks ok, though I don't think it will age well.

More power. They have added this for 2014, but it's a shame that they're keeping the same engine for the sport/manual model. Better quality control. No excuse for squeaky seats so soon after purchase. An improved sound system would also be nice. Mazda must have paid next to nothing for something that sounds so terrible.

Buzzing with acceleration; ? electrical issue?
By pgkuma

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Just bought a silver Sport manual 1 month ago.
One COLD night, the car wouldn't start (1 week old!).
AAA noted battery had lost a minimal amount of charge (windows and lights worked fine).
Then all the warning lights came on at once when tried to start.
He reprogrammed something by using the key in the door.
Started right after that, but seemed to run a bit more sluggishly.
Next day, the dealer looked it over.
Erased and reprogrammed the computer and replaced the battery.
No problems since then.
Wife noted a REALLY subtel buzzing ("cricket-like") from driver dash area, when pushing the gas.
Have to turn radio off to hear it.

Gas mileage (31+mgp in ~70/30 hwy/city). Handling.

Manual in all trims. Add the extra hp in 2014 Sport level. Leather and other more luxury options for Sport level. Make more Manuals available (there were only about 3 manuals avail in 7 state region). More color options for manuals.