Used 2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:

Nice handling, little else
By djd123

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I was looking for something with a little more cargo capacity than my old rsx last year, and was really taken by how well the cx-5 handled during the test drive. I did not think the low-powered engine would be much of a problem. I was wrong. Going up hills with a single passenger and two dogs in the back, the car made a lot of noise with very little movement. It also felt cheaply put together. After about a month of ownership, the driver's seat squeaked like an old mattress. The stock radio and speakers are utter trash. Lots of little rattles and vibrations that I didn't notice during the test drive.

Favorite Features

Like many others have stated, this car handles really well for what it is. It can be a lot of fun to drive as long as you stay on flat land. Cargo capacity and fuel economy are also good. I think it looks ok, though I don't think it will age well.

Suggested Improvements

More power. They have added this for 2014, but it's a shame that they're keeping the same engine for the sport/manual model. Better quality control. No excuse for squeaky seats so soon after purchase. An improved sound system would also be nice. Mazda must have paid next to nothing for something that sounds so terrible.

Buzzing with acceleration; ? electrical issue?
By pgkuma

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Just bought a silver Sport manual 1 month ago. One COLD night, the car wouldn't start (1 week old!). AAA noted battery had lost a minimal amount of charge (windows and lights worked fine). Then all the warning lights came on at once when tried to start. He reprogrammed something by using the key in the door. Started right after that, but seemed to run a bit more sluggishly. Next day, the dealer looked it over. Erased and reprogrammed the computer and replaced the battery. No problems since then. Wife noted a REALLY subtel buzzing ("cricket-like") from driver dash area, when pushing the gas. Have to turn radio off to hear it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage (31+mgp in ~70/30 hwy/city). Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Manual in all trims. Add the extra hp in 2014 Sport level. Leather and other more luxury options for Sport level. Make more Manuals available (there were only about 3 manuals avail in 7 state region). More color options for manuals.

Great Surprise
By karqueen

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased my CX-5, 9,000 miles ago. It's the base model 6 speed manual. I love it, much more responsive than the automatic I test drove. The 6 speed and clutch are better than my old Honda Accord. I have a lead foot and avg. 30.5 MPG overall, and my brothers just hate me for that. I love the cloth material they used, the stock radio sounds very good. Great handling for for an SUV, a bit slow, but not that bad if you get the 6 speed manual. I get 415 miles between fill ups in the Los Angeles traffic.

Favorite Features

One of the very last SUV's with a 6 speed manual transmission. I love the smooth clutch and the transmission's short throws are so smooth. We also love the this car because it keeps the brakes on when you are on a hill and prevents the car from rolling back. My wife loves that feature the most, and will now drive in San Francisco confident that she will NOT roll back. Did I mention the gas millage this thing get with ME behind the wheel? When my wife drives it she get 38.9 MPG, we love that. Handles like my old Mazda 6 but with the ground clearance of a Subaru Outback. Big inside space for a small SUV. Our new camping ride.

Suggested Improvements

Keep the 6 speed manual option available on the 4 wheel drive and models with sun roofs. I was upset I didn't get my sun roof.

Fun but gutless
By shierwarter

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my CX-5 since June, and have had fun driving this car with the 6-speed manual transmission. While it is gutless going uphill, mostly I don't notice the lack of power. I tend to get around 31mpg overall, and I'm pretty happy with that. Two things... I wish that the great blue color was available on the 6-speed (my choices were black, silver and grey) and I wish that there was better accessibility in the back seat. My mom rides back there sometimes, and it's hard for her to get in and out.

Favorite Features

the 6-speed transmission, the stylish exterior, and the START button.

Suggested Improvements

better color choices for the 6-speed vehicles, and that nifty auto opening gate that Ford just introduced would be killer!

Gas Mileage not as high as advertised
By schuylkillsa

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Sport 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

My highway gas mileage is supposed to be close to 35 MPG. I have over 5000 miles on the car and have taken several long road trips and I've yet to hit 31 MPG. Are others finding the same thing?

Favorite Features

I love the manual transmission! Why won't Mazda offer the Manual in other models such as the Sport AWD or the Touring? I was dissapointed that b/c I wanted the manual shift, I was not able to buy any other features such as bluetooth or back mirror. Why punish manual drivers?

Suggested Improvements

I think the back window is very small and make visibility difficult. I think the side mirrors need magnifiers to help reduce the blind spot.