2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CX-5 model:
CX-5 Grand Touring-(27,500 miles) Fun car but underpowered
By mnvpierson on 02/12/14 15:02 PM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I think I was the 2nd person to buy in MN because I was waiting for the cx-5 or the escape whichever came first. Bought the car in Feb of 2012 and have really enjoyed the car and now have 27,500 miles on the car. It is fun to drive. The tires are 19 in and were replaced at 23k and are expensive because they are not a popular size. The only problem is it is underpowered with the 2.0 especially pulling out into traffic or having the car loaded with 5 people, almost unsafe. Would not buy this again but would consider the 2014 which has the bigger engine. I get 32 mpg on the highway and 20 or 21 mpg in the city which is a stop light ever mile or so. For a suv we were happy with the mpg.

CX-5 4 Cylinder Base Model
By milljockey on 01/20/14 07:30 AM (PST)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Purchase a CX-5 4-Cylinder Base model on Jan 18, 2013. After one year of ownership, I am still happy with the purchase, no major issues have cropped up, and everything seems to be working fine. I purchased this car to replace a 1999 chevy venture that we had outgrown. Most of the reviews I have read complain of poor fuel economy and lack of engine performance. If you wanted performance then buy a sports car! This is a small SUV with a small engine, Most of our driving is done in town under 40 MPH on flat Kansas roads. After one year I only have 9,000 Miles on the car.

Best of the current breed
By tenfour on 10/31/13 19:44 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Doing as much research as possible on the current market led me to the CX-5. A long term RAV4 owner with friends who drive Subarus provided some first hand insight on my most likely competitor candidates. Yet a test drive--along with some nudging from style--made the decision an easy one. I settled on a Touring AWD with Sunroof and Bose. So far I'm pleased with the driving experience, style, value and comfort. Any negatives? Yes, for a dozen reasons, I wish I did NOT purchase the Bose audio system. What a waste of $ not to mention effort I'll expend to replace it with something less annoying.

BEWARE MAZDA! Bad!
By bluzone2 on 10/14/13 20:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Cross shopped all the high-efficiency small AWDs. Mazda was a little more expensive but "appeared" to have more amenities. Appearances are deceiving. I bought a fully loaded GT CX-5 with everything but a NAV, based on reviews of the NAV. After 6500 miles that pretty sky blue paint has more white zits than a teenager, the leather is like paper, the "Bose" speakers sound like a discount house box speaker, and I can't get the fuel efficiency higher than 26.0 on interstate driving. Mazda, by way of your dealer, will not stand behind its product.

Best Crossover
By armtech on 09/06/13 19:46 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

My salesman was right, Mazda has that Europian drive like feeling, I test drove the Rav4 and the Crv, but Mazda Cx5 was the winner, I am really impressed all the way around,

I Really Wanted to Like the CX-5
By redskins5926 on 09/03/13 08:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

The CX-5 is certainly the best-handling crossover on the market, with dynamics similar to the BMW X1/X3. The ride was stiff, which was good on smooth roads but uncomfortable on rough roads. Space was plenty for passenger comfort as well as cargo. But the big disappointment with the 2013 CX-5 was the engine and transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered for the car, I literally had to floor the gas pedal every time I merged onto the highway. The transmission was even more terrible as it lagged significantly whenever I floored the pedal to get more power. Fuel economy was good, though not significantly worth it with the underpowered engine.

One Year Later
By mary668 on 08/18/13 09:07 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Grand Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

One year later, no major problems. Runs well, still comfortable, decent sound system (I don't expect a studio experience), no new noises, rear door still occasionally resists latching once, closes the second time. My primary concern is getting on the interstate via a short ramp and 70mph plus speeds whizzing by, this car can be dangerous trying to get up to speed fast. It hesitates too long or is unpredictable in it's response. Hope future CX-5 engineers fix this danger.

Not as expected
By datulip on 08/12/13 08:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

So, I have had this car for about a year and my biggest complaint is the performance. If you don't drive on the freeway this may be the car for you. If you need to get moving quickly - don't even think about it. Secondary issue is the gas mileage. Advertised as 26 city and 32 highway. I have averaged 22 in the city; 28 highway; and 23 mixed. Not much of a consolation for the lackluster engine. Overall the design is pretty good and handling is fair. It does get quite a bit of wind noise. It has been reliable over this first year of ownership with no issues. Last issue - keyless entry isn't really keyless. Must have the key in hand to unlock the doors with this model.

Tire warning light problem
By mccreery on 08/06/13 14:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

Overall car is good, BUT, tire pressure light keeps coming on. Dealer has reset it, comes back on in less than 10 miles, dealer resets again and stays off for a month, back on again. I have done this dance 4+ times and is on again! No the tires are not low, no I have not pushed the reset button. I think this is a defect.

gas mileage
By robert_suv on 07/29/13 08:28 AM (PDT)

2013 Mazda CX-5 SUV Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I own a CX5 AWD with a hitch. I have reviewed this car when it was new and I am now reviewing it after one years worth of driving. The most impressive feature for me is the outstanding gas mileage in this car. I recently hyper- tested my mileage for about 100 miles over flat and/or gently rolling country roads with a fair amount of traffic and squeezed about 40 MPG from the car. I average 35mpg normally. The info gauge seemed slightly generous with a reading of about 45mpg. I set the info gauge to averaging mode which is a little confusing as to how it calculates it's figure but I'm not complaining too much. The handling is outstanding although over bumpy road conditions it is a bit harsh.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Mazda CX-5 Suv in NJ is:

$247 per month*