2001 Mazda B-Series Consumer Review: Pretty truck, great price, ave

2001 Mazda B-Series - Consumer Review

Pretty truck, great price, average mpg.
By Bryan Jones on

2001 Mazda B-Series 2dr Cab Plus B3000 SE 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

A good-looking, tough truck at a better price and warranty than a Ranger(same truck). 3.0 needs better mpgs. Engine has periodic rough idle and engine pings easily (many posts in forums regarding these so they are common and can be fixed). Rides stiff but handles very well. Good brakes. Check interior/exterior build quality and paint before buying VERY CAREFULLY- mine had trash and runs that needed to be fixed (never as good as factory paint). Chrome around windows causes wind noise for looks only (to be dif than Ranger).

Favorite Features

Auto-dimming rear view mirror with compass- love it! standard four wheel abs. Stiff suspension leans very little in the corners. Vulcan 3.0s have excellent rep for reliability. Like the semi-flareside exterior style.

Suggested Improvements

Refine the Vulcan 3.0 to be smoother and get better gas mileage. Bring back the SE ex-cab(not everybody wants a dual sport). I would like a bigger reg cab, so I can fit my 6ft 5 body in (the only reason I got an ex cab). Improve assembly of interior and paint.