Used 2001 Mazda B-Series B3000 Dual Sport Cab Plus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda B-series - Consumer Reviews

2001 Mazda B-Series Cab Plus

View reviews for a specific B-Series model:

B3000 DS SX Model
By frank

2001 Mazda B-Series Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 DS 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best truck I've had, better than a Ranger and cheaper. Handles well in all uses, hauls very well.

Favorite Features

Great looking truck, lots of interior room, view is great when you sit high. Will haul anything well, has great power.

Suggested Improvements

A little better gas mileage, rear mud guards need better design - they break off in cold weather.

Worst Performance ever for truck
By William Bartusek

2001 Mazda B-Series Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 DS 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Often cannot go more than 35-45 mph city, 55 mph highway driving. Against 15-20 mph wind on interstate, max speed is 65-72 mph. Dynomometer test shows 27% power/torque (109.7 hp, 135 ft-lb torque--35% greater drive train inefficiency than competive trucks. Fuel consumption is 12-17 mpg, averaging 14-15 in winter and 15-16 in summer. Mazda notified me that fuel consumption sticker values were determined by mathematical algoritms and had no empirical evidence to support the fuel consumption claims. Mazda claims that the vehicle "performs according to specifications", which is the only answer that I ever get from them.

Favorite Features

Tie-downs in bed are hard to reach with a bed cover. Sway is excessive over bumps. Interior and other component features are pretty typical of other manufacturers' equivalent trucks.

Suggested Improvements

Ford/Mazda Automatic Over-drive transmission is the most inefficient on the market. The drive-train computer does not appear to have effective algoriths based upon the dynomometer test or the engine is just simply under- powered for this vehicle with such an inefficient drive train.

My B3000
By Johnha

2001 Mazda B-Series Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 DS 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has been quite good to me. Comfortable and quiet, the 3.0 Liter V6 seems bulletproof. Everything still works as new after 2+ years and 34000 miles. I like this truck.

Favorite Features

The four speaker CD system is quite good. The cab is well laid out.

Suggested Improvements

My only desire would be for a bit roomier rear in the extended cab.

Damn good truck
By Happy Zoomer!

2001 Mazda B-Series Cab Plus 2dr Cab Plus B3000 DS 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The truck is tall! I like being up just a little bit in a pickup that is sold as 'small.' I find the truck is a smooth ride with the michelins that replaced the FS that were on it when I bought it.The transmission is smooth, and the power is enough for me (I traded in a 95 Isuzu Pup) I haven't done any off road stuff and proably wont since that isn't my life style.

Favorite Features

Extended cab. two coffee holders within reach. comfortable seats. good visability, pretty quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

Better millage.