Used 2001 Mazda B-Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Mazda B-Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series model:

Somewhat Costly To own
By palmettophil

2001 Mazda B-Series 2dr Cab Plus B3000 SE 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had the car since it was new and now has 70000 miles on it. Had to replace the factory tires at 25000 miles and did not think much of it. I use this for light duty personal use with no off road or hauling. The original ball joints cracked at 40000 miles and were upgraded to better ones with grease fittings. The transmission was rebuilt at 69990 miles. The steering wheel cruise control was replaced due the disintegration of the original equipment (Common across ford and Mazda trucks).

The vehicle has always run well with about 17 MPG local and 22 MPG Highway except for the review issues stated. It is a comfortable truck with a nice interior and sound system.

The automatic electronic transmission is common across Mazda/Ranger and Ford Explorer vehicles. It has been efficient by I personally know many people who have had to rebuild the transmission prior to 70000 miles and I mean easy miles with no towing or off road use. They can definitely improve this with the Explorer since the Rangers and B series trucks are being phased out.

I Liked It
By Mojo

2001 Mazda B-Series 2dr Regular Cab B3000 DS 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I haven't had many problems. I had to get the ball joints on the front replaced and new rotors. I cemetric pabs on when I changed the rotors and new tires. I also have a hard shell cab on it. I avg my miles almost every time I get gas and it comes out to 19mpg combined which is fine with me, I knew when buying a truck I wouldn't get great gas mileage. I want a GMC Sierra 1500 ext cab now only b/c its bigger. I wouldn't mind keeping this as a daily driver though.

ext style

smoother ride I can feel every single bump in the road

B3000 DS SX Model
By frank

2001 Mazda B-Series 2dr Cab Plus B3000 DS 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the best truck I've had, better than a Ranger and cheaper. Handles well in all uses, hauls very well.

Great looking truck, lots of interior room, view is great when you sit high. Will haul anything well, has great power.

A little better gas mileage, rear mud guards need better design - they break off in cold weather.

dependable
By DAVE

2001 Mazda B-Series 2dr Cab Plus B3000 SE 2WD SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with 68k on the dash. Now the truck has 98,450 and still kicking hard like the day I bought it. Nothing has gone wrong with it; it has held up very well. expecting another 100k out of her.

The stock audio system is amazing. Lot of cab room, mine is an extended cab. VERY durable engine. Lots of torque for its displacement. Long service intervals.

Transmissions needs to be smoother. next better sensors. pinging issues.

B4000 is a great truck
By blackromeo

2001 Mazda B-Series 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've only had this truck a month; bought it used at 46,000 miles and it has been working well though the dashboard lights seem to come on sometimes when nothing is wrong - i.e. 'door ajar' when not ajar, etc. But overall this is a great truck.

Stereo is awesome. Interior room is great up-front, coffeholders are sweet as is the arm rest with change holders. Love the look and feel of the car. Car is 'high' for its size.

Mileage could use some work.