Used 2005 Mazda B-Series Truck Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Mazda B-Series Truck Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific B-Series Truck model:

Bummed with this truck
By mtgal2531

2005 Mazda B-Series Truck Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab B4000 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've driven many trucks over the years while delivering mail in a rugged, rural area and was told by the dealer this truck "would hold up" under the tough conditions I put them through. Not true! The mud flaps are long gone being attached with flimsy plastic fasteners and small screws, in addition to a mud holding pocket design. They put a fuel vent underneath the truck that plugs with mud/snow so it's next to impossible to fill it with fuel. When in deep snow the radiator gets covered with snow and the truck looses power & stops. Shifting has become very difficult, and the radio works poorly. I'm going back to a Toyota or Nissan 4x4 truck-- this one needs to stay on the highway!!

Favorite Features

Extended cab doors make easy access behind front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Bag the Ford Ranger and go back to a true Mazda design.

Disappointed with Truck
By Robin

As someone who puts a truck through its paces 6 days a week on rough, dirt roads, I have been somewhat disappointed with this vehicle. I've had one side mirror replaced that wouldn't hold its position, one headlight which was loose, the rear pinion seal replaced twice, the mud flaps on the rear replaced and modified (the lip on the bottom of the flaps hold mud and snow and the weight pulls the flap off since they are not attached except by one bolt and two screws), I am currently waiting for a replacement valve on the top of the fuel tank that sometimes prevents fuel from entering the fuel tank at a normal speed. Even the service manager is unhappy with this truck's number of problems!

Favorite Features

Ease of switching from 2WD to 4WD. Back swinging rear doors. Fairly smooth ride on rough roads.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch needs to be quieter when engaged. Rear-view mirror is too low and blocks line of vision. Redesign mudflaps--current ones are horrid. Improve overall quality--too many things going wrong with a truck that's still under warranty. Use same size spare tire as those on vehicle (mine is larger).

is this a Ford or Mazda
By bo

2005 Mazda B-Series Truck Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab B4000 SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mazda truck costs less than the sister look-a-like Ford; Mazda is a "A" series of the Ford Ranger, gives very poor fuel economy, very little comfort and very expensive to repair.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include the dependability of the air conditioner.and that is about it.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if Mazda and Ford would make their trucks more this century instead of changing grills and headlights to make their vehicles new and improved for the following year; face it, your bodystyle died 10 ten years ago.

my first new truck
By jones

I can't speak for everyone, but I love this truck. It's my first new truck, and for what I use it for, I'm very happy with my choice. The 4.0L engine hasn't let me down yet, and no one can argue with the price. I know that there are more modern choices out there, but pick-ups are for working, not for Sunday driving. I see lots of people out there with these $35,000 dollar trucks, but ask them to move some lumber or furniture, and all they are worried about scratching the bed or the liner! I would recomend this truck to anyone who is a weekend warrior, young, or a small business owner (like myself). You can't argue with the reliability.

Favorite Features

This truck has a basic, but functional interior. What do you expect for the price, leather and a muffin holder? You have a place for a coffee or two, a place to plug in your phone, and a half decent sound system. The seats aren't the best out there, but they aren't the worst.

Suggested Improvements

I would give the truck a more aggresive look, update the powertrain a bit (not too much, look whats happening to Volkswagen), add another cab selection, and change the seats.

Unimpressed
By mazda nut

Truck had some power for a mini pick-up but over all the quality of this Ranger rebadged as a Mazda is sad. Mazda had a good truck before Ford tinkered with it. I have been a loyal Mazda driver for many years now but this one I would have to pass on.

Favorite Features

Fender flares.

Suggested Improvements

Go back to a true Mazda platform and design, not a Ford clone.