Reliable but thirsty
By richard diggins on
2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 Dual Sport Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
I bought the 4.0 litre V6 with auto transmission because it could tow 6500 lbs, 3000 lbs more than the 5 speed manual. I tow a 3500 lb RV, sometimes with a 15 ft boat in tandem. This puts me at maximum combined payload & towing capacity but the truck is up to the task, if I take it easy: about 60 mph on the flats, up to 75 mph downhill. Towing in a headwind, the tranny constantly downshifts but turning the overdrive off helps keep it in 5th gear. A manual tranny would have been better, or more power. Mileage is not the best: about 19 mpg highway, much less in the city. I drive like an old guy, easy on the gas, coasting not braking, and at the speed limit. The truck is great otherwise.
Favorite Features
Opening rear doors, torquey 4.0 litre. Smaller size for parking that full size pickup.
Suggested Improvements
Full 6ft box, not 5 ft 8 inches, to allow full sheets of drywall to be loaded with the tailgate closed. Better fuel economy. A stronger manual transmission. Cruise control available in 2 wd model, without having to buy the full 4 wheel drive to get cruise.