2004 Mazda B-Series Truck Cab Plus 4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Truck model:
Reliable but thirsty
By richard diggins on 12/04/08 11:16 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck Cab Plus 4 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 Dual Sport Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 4.0 litre V6 with auto transmission because it could tow 6500 lbs, 3000 lbs more than the 5 speed manual. I tow a 3500 lb RV, sometimes with a 15 ft boat in tandem. This puts me at maximum combined payload & towing capacity but the truck is up to the task, if I take it easy: about 60 mph on the flats, up to 75 mph downhill. Towing in a headwind, the tranny constantly downshifts but turning the overdrive off helps keep it in 5th gear. A manual tranny would have been better, or more power. Mileage is not the best: about 19 mpg highway, much less in the city. I drive like an old guy, easy on the gas, coasting not braking, and at the speed limit. The truck is great otherwise.

Great Truck
By Vicki on 08/26/06 09:12 AM (PDT)

Perfect reliability, 18 to 20 mpg, this truck was a good deal when I bought it and has been everything I could ask for since. I traded in a 3 liter Ford Ranger I called the turtle because the motor (and transmission) was such a slug but the 4.0 is a much better powerplant and the mated automatic transmission is a world better as well. It tows a trailer quite well and has now been across country and back twice. Not plush but a great workhorse truck.

Million Mile Truck
By gwr50 on 08/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I wouldn't own any othe truck. No one is putting more than 200 horse power in a compact 4d4 truck and offering a manual transmission and a tow package for less than $20,000. My 2001 is going strong after 650,000 miles with no major problems. Engines runs as good as new and has never been worked on.