Used 2004 Mazda B-Series Truck Cab Plus 4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck Cab Plus 4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Truck model:

Reliable but thirsty
By richard diggins

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck Cab Plus 4 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 Dual Sport Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 4.0 litre V6 with auto transmission because it could tow 6500 lbs, 3000 lbs more than the 5 speed manual. I tow a 3500 lb RV, sometimes with a 15 ft boat in tandem. This puts me at maximum combined payload & towing capacity but the truck is up to the task, if I take it easy: about 60 mph on the flats, up to 75 mph downhill. Towing in a headwind, the tranny constantly downshifts but turning the overdrive off helps keep it in 5th gear. A manual tranny would have been better, or more power. Mileage is not the best: about 19 mpg highway, much less in the city. I drive like an old guy, easy on the gas, coasting not braking, and at the speed limit. The truck is great otherwise.

Opening rear doors, torquey 4.0 litre. Smaller size for parking that full size pickup.

Full 6ft box, not 5 ft 8 inches, to allow full sheets of drywall to be loaded with the tailgate closed. Better fuel economy. A stronger manual transmission. Cruise control available in 2 wd model, without having to buy the full 4 wheel drive to get cruise.

Great Truck
By Vicki

Perfect reliability, 18 to 20 mpg, this truck was a good deal when I bought it and has been everything I could ask for since. I traded in a 3 liter Ford Ranger I called the turtle because the motor (and transmission) was such a slug but the 4.0 is a much better powerplant and the mated automatic transmission is a world better as well. It tows a trailer quite well and has now been across country and back twice. Not plush but a great workhorse truck.

4.0 motor, turning radius.

Interior upgrades, leather availability, better radio.

4WD 4Dr B4000
By metz

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck Cab Plus 4 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had an 01 for 3 years without any compaints. Had this one for 2 months and could not be more pleased with its performance.

Gas Mileage

Million Mile Truck
By gwr50

I wouldn't own any othe truck. No one is putting more than 200 horse power in a compact 4d4 truck and offering a manual transmission and a tow package for less than $20,000. My 2001 is going strong after 650,000 miles with no major problems. Engines runs as good as new and has never been worked on.

Power and comfort. I use my truck in my business and drive 3,000 miles per week, every week.

Increase bed width between the wheel wells from 42" to 48". There is plenty of room to make the change, and with the 48" width, the bed could accomodate a full size pallet.