2004 Mazda B-Series Truck - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Truck model:
Not getting another one...
By Serena on 11/11/09 23:21 PM (PST)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Cab Plus B3000 Dual Sport Rwd SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This truck ran great the first year and a half I had it. Then it started idling very rough. Then the engine light came on. It took a while for the mechanic to figure out what the problem was because of how few miles were on it. I ended up having to replace the entire top end, (heads, valves, ect...) at 78000 miles. I did not overheat it or abuse it. Also, I found out that is is just a re-badged Ranger. Many parts that I have replaced are not for a Mazda B3000 but for a Ford Ranger. I reliably get 18 mpg out of it. The doors rattle and the rear end tends to hop alittle unloaded on rough dirt roads.

Reliable but thirsty
By richard diggins on 12/04/08 11:16 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 Dual Sport Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 4.0 litre V6 with auto transmission because it could tow 6500 lbs, 3000 lbs more than the 5 speed manual. I tow a 3500 lb RV, sometimes with a 15 ft boat in tandem. This puts me at maximum combined payload & towing capacity but the truck is up to the task, if I take it easy: about 60 mph on the flats, up to 75 mph downhill. Towing in a headwind, the tranny constantly downshifts but turning the overdrive off helps keep it in 5th gear. A manual tranny would have been better, or more power. Mileage is not the best: about 19 mpg highway, much less in the city. I drive like an old guy, easy on the gas, coasting not braking, and at the speed limit. The truck is great otherwise.

Solid, Fun Drive
By Bill on 04/21/08 22:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Cab Plus B2300 SE Rwd SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little truck. I bought it used with 60K miles and it still feels very tight with no squeaks or rattles. The 5 speed and clutch are smooth with good spacing between the gears. ABS brakes are excellent. The 4 cylinder is more than adequate for normal driving and gets decent mileage. While far from plush, the interior is very livable. Seating is firm with good support and is comfortable on long trips. Controls, A/C and ventilation are excellent and there's plenty of leg room for six footers. A practical truck that's also lots of fun to drive.

Gas saving hauler!
By Paul on 06/13/07 10:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 Rwd SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I really can't complain, it always starts in the coldest weather. It gets over 30 mpg on the highway. It gets a lot of looks. I think it is better looking than the Ford Ranger that it is based on. It has an awesome A/C system. It does sit up almost as high as some other marques 4x4s.

LEMON
By Terry W. on 03/17/07 12:28 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 Rwd SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle has left me stranded over and over. It is on its third fuel pump; the service dept has been appalling. The cab makes it difficult to back up because poor visibility. I would not recommend this product to anyone. As a consumer I am dissatisfied with the lack of concern Mazda corp. has shown. Can you say Lemon!

Great!
By Great!! on 10/29/06 08:04 AM (PST)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 Rwd SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This little truck will get you from A to B with no problems. That is what I bought it for...that's what it does. It was pre-owned but sure looks and feels like new!

A good value
By Slavic on 10/27/06 22:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Cab Plus B4000 SE 4WD SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I paid $18,300 for this truck brand new. There are probably better small trucks out there, but not at this price. For what I paid, I'm quite happy.

Great Truck
By Vicki on 08/26/06 09:12 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 4dr Cab Plus 4 B4000 Dual Sport Rwd SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Perfect reliability, 18 to 20 mpg, this truck was a good deal when I bought it and has been everything I could ask for since. I traded in a 3 liter Ford Ranger I called the turtle because the motor (and transmission) was such a slug but the 4.0 is a much better powerplant and the mated automatic transmission is a world better as well. It tows a trailer quite well and has now been across country and back twice. Not plush but a great workhorse truck.

B2300
By Paul on 06/23/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 Rwd SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my truck online. I researched several brands, including the sibling Ford Ranger XL. I did not care for the Chevy or GMC/Colorado/Canyon. The Mazda had an excellent warranty and a $3000.00 cash back incentive. It works for me!

A Winner
By Tony on 08/09/05 12:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Mazda B-Series Truck 2dr Regular Cab B2300 Rwd SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This truck is affordable, reliable, and a blast to drive. The performance is great and this little truck is powerful for its class. Exterior and interior design is fantastic and stylish. I can't say enough good things about this truck!