Used 1999 Mazda B-Series Pickup Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific B-Series Pickup model:

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned
By myb2500

1999 Mazda B-Series Pickup Regular Cab B2500 SX 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have a website dedicated to my year 2000 Mazda B2500 SX, and the reason is because this truck is simply unbeatable in terms of reliability, affordability, and durability. I've put some money into getting things fixed, but I've largely been able to do all the fixes myself, from a clutch to U-joint, to an alternator, to a starter. At this point, if I had to put $1500 into it to get the transmission rebuilt, for instance (which I won't have to because it's 5-speed tranny is bulletproof), I'd spend the money. Sure I could buy a new vehicle at that point, but why? I have one of the best little trucks the world has ever seen!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, simplicity, cheap parts when I need to replace something, its ability to simply eat up the road mile after mile! All sorts of people were telling me not to drive it from NC to ND for my job, but I took the risk because I believed in it, and sure enough, it proved to be the little truck that could and can.

the little truck that could
By chatammann

1999 Mazda B-Series Pickup Regular Cab B2500 SX 2dr Regular Cab SB

My dad bought this truck used 9 yrs ago as light general duty truck. It was the most reliable vehicle we ever owned. It became my first car in 09 when i was 16. In 9 years the only problems were a bad ignition and leaking roof, that's it! The thing was tougher than any truck Ive ever seen, a bumpy gravel road at 60 mph was a walk in the park. I cant believe a truck could get 24 mpg and it may not have much power but that's why its light duty. The 5 spd manual had perfect gear ratios. My truck was mazda ZOOM ZOOM fast but not really haha, topped out at 80. it was eventually rear ended by a truck going 70 mph but i was okay, it got annihilated but saved my life.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, hilariously basic interior, reliability, fun to driveness

Suggested Improvements

idk if mazda still makes 4 cyl trucks but if so an optional turbo for extra hp

B2500 Mazda pu SE
By james klinefelter

1999 Mazda B-Series Pickup Regular Cab B2500 SE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Purchased this new in 1999 and it has been a perfect utility vehicle. No problems at all and has been in shop only for routine maintenance which is minimal. Still all the original systems including brakes. Just replaced the original tires. Rides smooth for a small truck and handles well in all conditions for a two wheel drive. Good gas mileage and simple systems and controls. It's a 4 cylinder (which I recommend for reliability) and a manual transmission. Paint and trim are still like new.

Favorite Features

Carries a heavy load well, fun to drive, nimble and easy to park, looks great with better lines than the close cousin, Ranger. Simple systems and not much to break down, always reliable. The longest I have ever kept a vehicle with the lowest maintenance costs.

Suggested Improvements

none

99 Mazda B2500 best truck ever bought
By Steve

1999 Mazda B-Series Pickup Regular Cab B2500 SE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought my 99 Mazda B2500 new (12 miles) April of 1999. Truck has 195,000 on it, replaced orginal tires at 79K, alternator replaced at 145K and replaced started at 187K, those are the only things have replaced. Had Oil + filter changed every 3,500 miles. Original clutch, manual transmission no problems. Paint was excellent, no peeling no rust up in harsh New England winters/weather, having to sell it because of left knee problems, can no longer drive standards.

Favorite Features

B2500 stance, platenium paint, alum alloy wheels, great truck, washed well, maintained good shine after wash/wax.

Suggested Improvements

the 2.5 Litre needed more power, could have used a little more cab room, another foot or so.

My truck
By Lane

1999 Mazda B-Series Pickup Regular Cab B2500 SX 2dr Regular Cab SB

Since purchase new I haven't had one single mechanical problem with this truck. If your truck shakes at highway speeds check your tires and alignment. If your engine is too loud, get a muffler or repair your exhaust system.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that it's got no special features. It's a 4 cylinder, 5 spd manual, gets good mileage. It's easy to change the oil and filter.

Suggested Improvements

None.