Used 1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific B-Series Pickup model:

Great Truck
By Great Truck

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had my 98 mazda B4000 4x4 for about two years now and it has never let me down. The truck has just turned 140000 and have only needed to replace brakes. I off road all the time and the truck has only got stuck once. It is all stock other than a set of 31/10.5/15 mud tires. This truck handles great off road and the 4.0 has more than enough power to climb hills and get me through thick mud. Very happy with the truck's performance and would definitely recommend this truck to anyone.

Love the power of the 4.0 and the shape of the cab makes it very easy to see where your going while off road. The body style is by far my favorite.

Cab could be a litte bigger

Great value, okay truck
By beanpole

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Though an excellent value used (high depreciation), there are better choices available. Truck was bought used with 60k mi, has 129k today. It is a good looking truck, with good utility for a compact. However, despite some improvements for the '98 model, the chassis/underpinnings date back to the '83 Ford Ranger. This is a very crude truck. It rides smooth only on fresh asphault. Otherwise, the truck shudders, flexes, jiggles and jolts on even the smallest bumps. The clutch grabs very late, but since the 3.0 150 hp V6 is weak, I wouldn't want the automatic. Handling is okay, but the steering and brakes are numb/totally lifeless. High dash makes this truck unfriendly for shorter folks.

Styling, frigid A/C, jump seats make the extended cab useable for one adult (unlike forward facing seats in Nissan & Toyota extended cabs), decent sized bed, 4 x 4 like ride height.

This old platform needs to be put out of its misery - time for a complete overhaul to compete with Toyota and Nissan. The B-series/Ranger had ridiculous amounts of chassis flex. B3000 is underpowered; the B4000 is much better without costing much more at the pump.

B4000-2WD-Ext Cab
By nxner

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new. Serviced every 3000 miles. Three kids used it as first car. No major problems...brakes, ac compressor, 1 seat release handle, oxygen sensor (@102k miles!) only items replaced, plus normal maintenance. Pulls a large pop-up pretty well; a small one like it isn't there (4.0L / V- 6). My third Mazda truck... figure it's good for at least another 25,000 miles at least. This one is actually a Ford Ranger but $3,000 lower cost and better warranty.

Performance, fun to drive, very dependable.

Sturdier seat-back releases (handles break), larger engine option, and a softer ride.

My 1998 Mazda B4000
By Becky Rogers

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My husband bought this truck for me for my birthday in August of 1998. We have driven it for over 125,000 miles with very few problems - a broken heater and cruise control are the only things that we have had go wrong. We once took it Christmas tree hunting - all the other vehicles got stuck in the snow, but not my little Mazda! I love this truck and hate to part with it, but I need more room. :(

The whole thing is great!

Not an improvement - I just wish I had gotten it with 4 doors.

Electrical Storm
By jllo

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

First pickup I've owned which I refer to as my toy truck. Fuel pump had to be replaced then techs twisted neck behind cap; unable to pump any gas in. It was 2 years before techs were able to diagnose electrical problem. Installed 2 new different batteries as truck would be dead if it sat for 2 days. Replacement of running light relay switch, ABS module plus the door switch. Still have electrical ghosts that haunt the truck. Sluggish for a 6 cylinder drives more like a 4 cylinder.

B3000 may be a toy truck but definitely rides like a 1/2 ton.

FIX the electrical problems that haunt the B Series trucks!

• SUV