Used 1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Pickup model:

12 years and still ticking!
By Lucy

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

We bought this PU new. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles we've ever owned. We have used it and abused it for 12+ years, it's still running and still looks great, with only routine maintenance. Just recently began having air conditioner issues and oil and transmission leaks. I'll have it repaired and keep driving it! The odometer stopped working four years ago, at that time it read 180k, so I'm sure we're well over the 200k mark. This little truck was so worth the money we spent on it!

Fun to drive, great for household and garden hauling.

Wish they made them like this today!

B4000-2WD-Ext Cab
By nxner

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new. Serviced every 3000 miles. Three kids used it as first car. No major problems...brakes, ac compressor, 1 seat release handle, oxygen sensor (@102k miles!) only items replaced, plus normal maintenance. Pulls a large pop-up pretty well; a small one like it isn't there (4.0L / V- 6). My third Mazda truck... figure it's good for at least another 25,000 miles at least. This one is actually a Ford Ranger but $3,000 lower cost and better warranty.

Performance, fun to drive, very dependable.

Sturdier seat-back releases (handles break), larger engine option, and a softer ride.

Solid truck
By Jim Springer

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great small truck. AC replaced under warranty the only problem in 113,000 miles. Brakes last 50K, factory shocks replaced at 60K. Cups tires on front but current Michelin's have 60K and should last another 15K. Brakes are weak, probably a result of the 31x10 tires. Still gets 16mpg in city and 20 on highway, same as when new. I have been very satisfied with this vehicle.

Very good off road, have driven in heavy sand and thick woods, never had a problem. Tows boat and camper well and can put the boat in on just about any ramp. Comfortable seats, make long trips very well.

Stronger brakes. Better access to the extended cab area, third door.

I love to drive it
By R. Turner

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Mazda made a very nice pickup. It's a truck that I would buy again. I've only had it for 4 months, but I love driving it.

The stereo sounds great, and the way it handles is great. But I like the body the best

It's kinda rough riding. If it was a little more soft riding, it would a real joy to drive. But over all, I like my truck.

No problems after 53k
By Ynotraft

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

After year of buying Japanese cars I was leary of an American-made truck. But Mazda/Ford offered the 4 door option, and I really wanted the extra doors. I have very pleasently surprised with the quality and ease of use, and lack of problems with this truck after 53,000 miles!

There is no A/C button! The A/C comes on automatically ONLY when specific choices are made for the direction of air circulation!