Used 1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Pickup model:

12 years and still ticking!
By Lucy

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

We bought this PU new. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles we've ever owned. We have used it and abused it for 12+ years, it's still running and still looks great, with only routine maintenance. Just recently began having air conditioner issues and oil and transmission leaks. I'll have it repaired and keep driving it! The odometer stopped working four years ago, at that time it read 180k, so I'm sure we're well over the 200k mark. This little truck was so worth the money we spent on it!

Fun to drive, great for household and garden hauling.

Wish they made them like this today!

Best PU I ever owned
By aczjr

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned and driven this truck hard for 8 years. It has been a reliable, hard working tool and transportation for me. I can't remember how I got along before I bought this truck. I gave it regular oil changes (every 3000)and maintenance and it never had a major breakdown. Recently it did need an intake manifold seal, but that's about it. Not bad for 192K miles. And it has great styling. Real sharp looking. Not bad on gas for a PU and a useful space behind the front seats, but almost useless for passangers over 10 years old. Great truck, great value.

Great Truck
By Great Truck

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had my 98 mazda B4000 4x4 for about two years now and it has never let me down. The truck has just turned 140000 and have only needed to replace brakes. I off road all the time and the truck has only got stuck once. It is all stock other than a set of 31/10.5/15 mud tires. This truck handles great off road and the 4.0 has more than enough power to climb hills and get me through thick mud. Very happy with the truck's performance and would definitely recommend this truck to anyone.

Love the power of the 4.0 and the shape of the cab makes it very easy to see where your going while off road. The body style is by far my favorite.

Cab could be a litte bigger

Great value, okay truck
By beanpole

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Though an excellent value used (high depreciation), there are better choices available. Truck was bought used with 60k mi, has 129k today. It is a good looking truck, with good utility for a compact. However, despite some improvements for the '98 model, the chassis/underpinnings date back to the '83 Ford Ranger. This is a very crude truck. It rides smooth only on fresh asphault. Otherwise, the truck shudders, flexes, jiggles and jolts on even the smallest bumps. The clutch grabs very late, but since the 3.0 150 hp V6 is weak, I wouldn't want the automatic. Handling is okay, but the steering and brakes are numb/totally lifeless. High dash makes this truck unfriendly for shorter folks.

Styling, frigid A/C, jump seats make the extended cab useable for one adult (unlike forward facing seats in Nissan & Toyota extended cabs), decent sized bed, 4 x 4 like ride height.

This old platform needs to be put out of its misery - time for a complete overhaul to compete with Toyota and Nissan. The B-series/Ranger had ridiculous amounts of chassis flex. B3000 is underpowered; the B4000 is much better without costing much more at the pump.

B4000-2WD-Ext Cab
By nxner

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup Extended Cab B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new. Serviced every 3000 miles. Three kids used it as first car. No major problems...brakes, ac compressor, 1 seat release handle, oxygen sensor (@102k miles!) only items replaced, plus normal maintenance. Pulls a large pop-up pretty well; a small one like it isn't there (4.0L / V- 6). My third Mazda truck... figure it's good for at least another 25,000 miles at least. This one is actually a Ford Ranger but $3,000 lower cost and better warranty.

Performance, fun to drive, very dependable.

Sturdier seat-back releases (handles break), larger engine option, and a softer ride.