1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Pickup model:
Great value, okay truck
By beanpole on 11/17/07 07:08 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Though an excellent value used (high depreciation), there are better choices available. Truck was bought used with 60k mi, has 129k today. It is a good looking truck, with good utility for a compact. However, despite some improvements for the '98 model, the chassis/underpinnings date back to the '83 Ford Ranger. This is a very crude truck. It rides smooth only on fresh asphault. Otherwise, the truck shudders, flexes, jiggles and jolts on even the smallest bumps. The clutch grabs very late, but since the 3.0 150 hp V6 is weak, I wouldn't want the automatic. Handling is okay, but the steering and brakes are numb/totally lifeless. High dash makes this truck unfriendly for shorter folks.

Electrical Storm
By jllo on 03/18/06 06:25 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

First pickup I've owned which I refer to as my toy truck. Fuel pump had to be replaced then techs twisted neck behind cap; unable to pump any gas in. It was 2 years before techs were able to diagnose electrical problem. Installed 2 new different batteries as truck would be dead if it sat for 2 days. Replacement of running light relay switch, ABS module plus the door switch. Still have electrical ghosts that haunt the truck. Sluggish for a 6 cylinder drives more like a 4 cylinder.

Not Bad
By Genob on 03/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck new in 98.Its the extended can V-6. I found out very early that i had to put premium grade fuel in this truck, or it would knock and ping terribly. Thats a bit of a bummer, because i bought a smaller truck to save $ on gas. I need to have the fuel intake changed out $700.00, and not covered in warranty. Overall i cant be too disappointed in this truck. The accelaration needs to be improved. A 4 cyl. Toyota or Nissan blows my doors off.

I asked for a Mazda and I got a Ford
By DBRYANT on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

This truck after 90000 miles would rate about an average from me.After about 50000 miles I had to get my steering rack replaced,Which was covered by my extended warranty.The dome light switches in the doors would not turn off,which I went back twice for repair. And off and on I did have slight problems with my clutch. Until now which the entire assembly needs replacement(not covered by my warranty).So I can tell you that this truck is not the same quality of the same MFG. that I had bought in 1992.