1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific B-Series Pickup model:
12 years and still ticking!
By Lucy on 07/28/10 07:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

We bought this PU new. It has been one of the most reliable vehicles we've ever owned. We have used it and abused it for 12+ years, it's still running and still looks great, with only routine maintenance. Just recently began having air conditioner issues and oil and transmission leaks. I'll have it repaired and keep driving it! The odometer stopped working four years ago, at that time it read 180k, so I'm sure we're well over the 200k mark. This little truck was so worth the money we spent on it!

Old Faithful
By Patersg on 09/14/09 14:41 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SX 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Had the 3.0L V6 regular cab for several years now, 225000k, still going strong. This is a real basic, no frills vehicle, nothing spectacular in performance. However, has never NOT started, has only let me down once when alternator finally went at 210000 mark...no biggie. Sure, I've had lots of little repairs, but all were done quickly. This truck has done lots of harsh-duty driving, so repairs are no surprise. She's showing no signs of trouble, will last forever. Recommended if you need something basic and steady, not hard on gas.

dreamy, dependable truck
By The Pro on 04/10/09 04:03 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B2500 SE 2dr Regular Cab SB

I have had this truk a very long time, I own three vehicles and this is the one auto that is still moving with finesse!

Best PU I ever owned
By aczjr on 05/15/08 17:57 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have owned and driven this truck hard for 8 years. It has been a reliable, hard working tool and transportation for me. I can't remember how I got along before I bought this truck. I gave it regular oil changes (every 3000)and maintenance and it never had a major breakdown. Recently it did need an intake manifold seal, but that's about it. Not bad for 192K miles. And it has great styling. Real sharp looking. Not bad on gas for a PU and a useful space behind the front seats, but almost useless for passangers over 10 years old. Great truck, great value.

Great Truck
By Great Truck on 05/05/08 14:09 PM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have had my 98 mazda B4000 4x4 for about two years now and it has never let me down. The truck has just turned 140000 and have only needed to replace brakes. I off road all the time and the truck has only got stuck once. It is all stock other than a set of 31/10.5/15 mud tires. This truck handles great off road and the 4.0 has more than enough power to climb hills and get me through thick mud. Very happy with the truck's performance and would definitely recommend this truck to anyone.

Great value, okay truck
By beanpole on 11/17/07 07:08 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Though an excellent value used (high depreciation), there are better choices available. Truck was bought used with 60k mi, has 129k today. It is a good looking truck, with good utility for a compact. However, despite some improvements for the '98 model, the chassis/underpinnings date back to the '83 Ford Ranger. This is a very crude truck. It rides smooth only on fresh asphault. Otherwise, the truck shudders, flexes, jiggles and jolts on even the smallest bumps. The clutch grabs very late, but since the 3.0 150 hp V6 is weak, I wouldn't want the automatic. Handling is okay, but the steering and brakes are numb/totally lifeless. High dash makes this truck unfriendly for shorter folks.

B4000-2WD-Ext Cab
By nxner on 10/10/06 11:07 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

Bought this truck new. Serviced every 3000 miles. Three kids used it as first car. No major problems...brakes, ac compressor, 1 seat release handle, oxygen sensor (@102k miles!) only items replaced, plus normal maintenance. Pulls a large pop-up pretty well; a small one like it isn't there (4.0L / V- 6). My third Mazda truck... figure it's good for at least another 25,000 miles at least. This one is actually a Ford Ranger but $3,000 lower cost and better warranty.

My 1998 Mazda B4000
By Becky Rogers on 05/22/06 11:04 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B4000 SE 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

My husband bought this truck for me for my birthday in August of 1998. We have driven it for over 125,000 miles with very few problems - a broken heater and cruise control are the only things that we have had go wrong. We once took it Christmas tree hunting - all the other vehicles got stuck in the snow, but not my little Mazda! I love this truck and hate to part with it, but I need more room. :(

Electrical Storm
By jllo on 03/18/06 06:25 AM (PST)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B3000 SE 2dr Extended Cab SB

First pickup I've owned which I refer to as my toy truck. Fuel pump had to be replaced then techs twisted neck behind cap; unable to pump any gas in. It was 2 years before techs were able to diagnose electrical problem. Installed 2 new different batteries as truck would be dead if it sat for 2 days. Replacement of running light relay switch, ABS module plus the door switch. Still have electrical ghosts that haunt the truck. Sluggish for a 6 cylinder drives more like a 4 cylinder.

Amazing
By swcejk2002 on 09/03/05 10:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Mazda B-Series Pickup B2500 SE 2dr Regular Cab SB

Amazing small truck. I put A LOT of miles on this baby. Drove it up from the deep South to New England, then drove it all over New England. I pulled a trailer many a times (the thing thinks it's a 6 cylinder). I NEVER had a problem with it. It seemed to be ALIVE and always wanted to run. Until recently, but after 160,000 one would expect the steering rack and clutch to go. But the engine is spotless and runs GREAT!