Used 1994 Mazda 929 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Mazda 929 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Still miss the nine
By totaljett

1994 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in the 2000 with 126, 000 miles on it. The car was like new, not lying. I love the size and room of this vehicle. It's the most interesting and best looking interior on car I've had, with chrome accents and light blue leather interior. I departed with this vehicle at 277, 000 miles in 2006. It was traded in for the 2000 Infiniti Q45t I still have. I still love that model 929 and express a moment of excitement when I see a well maintained one on the road.

Favorite Features

The design was timeless. I always thought the oem factory size tires were too narrow for such a wide body. I solved that not with new wheels but simply a wider tire. The 929 was ahead of it's time.

Suggested Improvements

Should've came with factory wider tires.

1994 Mazda 929
By Mark

1994 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm now going on seven years with this car and have thoroughly enjoyed it. At its time it was considered a luxury full-sized car. You sit lower than most in it - your legs go more forward than down. The styling is first rate - sometimes described as Japanese Jaguaresque. Very comfortable to ride in. As others have remarked there's no glove box or tilt steering wheel - minor inconveniences. I only wish Mazda would revisit this car and provide a technologically updated version.

Favorite Features

The "Hold" button on the auto transmission which drops the car back a gear for more torque...going uphill, passing, etc. Some have the solar cell sunroof option that trickle charges the battery and runs a fan out the trunk to reduce heat when the car sits. Definitely ahead of its time.

Suggested Improvements

Some quality control issues, particularly the window regulators that break all too frequently and the sunroof which is known to jam. As not many of these cars were sold and as it was designed from the ground up, parts are very rare and extremely expensive.

One of the best cars I've ever had.
By mazdacrazy

1994 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in the summer of '97 with only 28k on the odometer. I've just turned over 67k and runs like a top (yeah I know, super low miles whatya expect). It's been my "go to work car" mostly, with occasional road trips when my other rides are in use. Fantastic ride on the highway, reliable, economical, powerful and fast. What more could you want? Oh yeah, drop dead good looks. On the down side parts are hard to find and when you get 'em boy do you pay a price for them. I live in the southeast, my dealer has checked for used parts and they are not available. All the good parts have already been salvaged so I gotta bite the bullet and get factory new$$. In the long run it's worth it.

Favorite Features

Bullet proof reliability and durability. Comfort level, good gas mileage, power, classic style and good looks, and ummm did I mention fast?

Suggested Improvements

Larger trunk, needs a dash glove box, tilt wheel, other options that are on a new 2007 car. better availability of parts at lower cost. Wonder how fast it would be if they put a turbo on that V-6 motor?

A near classic
By anon.

1994 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought it used: absolutely no mechanical problems for last 40,ooo miles.(sunroof can be problematical. Not really spacious enough, and no glove box is an annoyance (as noted by others. Still one of the best looking cars on the road.

929 is Excellent
By McMath

1994 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought used and are second owners. The 929 is the most responsive car we have owned; you are riding in it not having to drive it. Reliable and mechanically sound; have owned for almost 2 years now and predict another 80K miles of life to go. Engine is perfect even after 12 years. Only repair is AC. Nice looking lines to car exterior. Leather seats in almost new condition and other interior parts in same almost new condition.

Favorite Features

Ease of drive -- practically drives itself. Very responsive. Great looking vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Glove box and tilt wheel.