Used 1992 Mazda 929 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Mazda 929 - Consumer Reviews

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )

Best Car Ever Owned
By Barbara in Alabama

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought as a 2nd car used w/30K miles on it. The styling and handling sold it. Drives like a sports car, but is a family sedan as well. All the bells and whistles, well ahead of its time. Brakes superbly balanced for no-dip panic stops, independent 4-wheel suspension, amazing performance. I have another car but can't stand to let this one go. Only major repair was replacement of the A/C and fan-clutch assembly, etc. Dealer repairs very expensive as are parts, but thankfully few have been required. Quite enough trunk space for family vacations. I only have 165,000+ miles on it now, but it still cranks immediately, gets 21 mpg but now burns a quart of oil per 1000 miles. Small tradeoff.

Favorite Features

Styling, ease of handling, ride, braking ability, perfect mechanical balance of all systems, gas mileage, highly durable finish, quick starts, reliability. Among the 24 new full-sized/luxury American and import cars we've owned, this stands out as the most perfect on all counts.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps adding cupholders.

Beautiful and Reliable
By VW

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The 929 caught my eye in mid '92. Bought my first 929 in Dec '92. It was totalled in Feb '93 and replaced with 929 Premium March '93. This car was/is phenomenal. Body style and finish is incredible. Has better features than Lexus LS 400 of the same year (my husband had one). Vehicle has been low maintenance. Oil changes every 7.5K, repl radiator, water pump, air cond hoses in past 5 years. I have approx 155K miles after 14 years, 3 or 4 fender benders and it stills rides smoothly and looks awesome. I have never kept a car this long, but I can't let the 929 go! It's been good to me.

Favorite Features

Good handling, auto sun roof/tilt, lighted key entry/driver door, good weight distribution on car, quiet ride, timeless body style.

Suggested Improvements

The car is no longer made, but if it were still being manufactured I would suggested remote lock/unlock and cup holder(s) for the 92.

good car, needed more
By jbronsky

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car was a great design - very stylish, the interior is well laid out, and the rear wheel drive performance is adequate. It started out nice, but the build materials showed their quality over time and lots of pieces have broken. All four electric windows, the electric sunroof, numerous interior pieces, etc. If you buy a high mileage car expect it to go south quickly.

Favorite Features

V6 rear drive, leather seats, bubbly styling.

Suggested Improvements

Front engine cover is HORRIBLE for maintenance, defrost makes clicking noises, leather seats ripped after 5 years, plastic pieces all broke. Door handles, locks switches, cupholder, chrome flaked off. Only get 20MPG, sluggish performance, faulty security system, just poor long term stability.

Excellent Car
By Jay D.

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just hit 252k mi ALL original. Still runs like a champ, and idles silently! Has suffered from a lot of neglect yet it keeps on going and going. I seriously neglect it, for example I have not changed the timing belt, wires, or spark plugs in 7 years.Also,I JUST replaced the oil filter and transmission filter.The oil filter was so clogged NO oil was going through.Same story with trans filter.lol.Great car I love its looks and handling. EXCELLENT features also(solar roof,12 speaker audio, intelligent "fuzzy logic" cruise control,manually shiftable,the hold button,and trans can choose automatically power and shift modes.). I hear some have ride adjustable suspension.Japanese ones had MORE features!!

Favorite Features

bulletproof reliability. engine which sounds awesome! too too many features to list and ABSOLUTELY TIMELESS styling. Interior and exterior. Car is FAST and handles nimbly. SPEED SENSITIVE STEERING!! This feature just recently started showing up in this years luxury cars!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders for 92's. Maybe a bit more power.

Great car
By jbird

1992 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 929 used with over 150,000 miles on it. I have now over 180,000 miles with minimal replacement costs, (brakes, A/c conversion, belts, etc.). This car is great; gets around 26 mpg, very roomy interior, great power. So good that I prefer to drive it over my 2005 Chevy classic. I plan to keep this car until it quits on me; only thing I fear is the timing belt having to be replaced, big job, expensive labor and parts.

Favorite Features

Comfort, acceleration, interior design, sleek exterior, good gas mileage, lots of features for a '92 model.

Suggested Improvements

Only thing that i don't like is the security system, having to unlock the doors to deactivate the alarm. Mine has gone off falsely a couple of times in the middle of the night, not fun!