1990 Mazda 929 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 929 model:
Overall
By jim on 05/26/10 14:29 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

I've only put 15,000 mi on in 3 yrs. But have enjoyed every mile. Lots of power and comfort. It has 2.85 gears in rear end and 32 mpg highway w/ summer time gas is a constant! So far I've replaced brakes and $60 starter from e- bay. Nice car and reliable so far .

Well balanced performer
By Good performer on 09/27/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a second car. I use it as my daily driver for my 48 mile roundtrip commute. I bought the car from an elderly gentleman who had taken very good care of the car. It was in very good shape and even had a fresh paint job. There was one problem that he was unable to figure out. The car had very rough shifts generally from 1st to 2nd gear. He said he'd tried several shops but to no avail. I took the car to a transmission specialist who said the problem was the throttle positioning sensor. I had it replaced for about $200. No more rough shifts or smoke. The car has a very good ride. It's very comfortable for me at 6'2" and about 270 lbs.

a great first car
By danny83 on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan 4dr Sedan

my white 88 929 was my first car. i had it for two years. it had 97000 miles when i bought it. i just traded it in on a newer mazda millenia, but it will be missed. it was everything i wanted in a car and then some. extremely good for long trips. not the most stylish for young people, but anyone who ever rode in it appreciated its quality and design. it wasn't new, but it really was the nicest car in my high school parking lot...way better than a '99 cavalier or '96 jetta (honestly). but toward the end, it started needing more oil than gas, and i had to say goodbye, but all good things must end.

Champagne drive,beer budget
By burtie on 11/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

Well I've got to tell you, this is a well made car, my 929 DOHC hardtop is a 1990 model, it's done 114000km's on some pretty rough outback Australian roads and it has'nt got a rattle or squeek at all, now that's got to say some thing about the build quality!The engine runs like a swiss watch and the seats are as comfy as they come, it could do with more head room but thats my only gripe with an otherwise exellent car that can be picked up for a steal!

Pleasure to drive this car
By njordan on 09/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

This car is an exceptional vehicle. The ride, comfort, space, power and fuel economy is great. It's time to sell it and I'm finding a hard time locating a car that compares. Mazda should have been given more credit for this vehicle.

Blue Car
By jim harrison on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

A working man's BMW--the 929S is sporty, sleek, nimble and very reliable. All that for ~$20K (vs BMW5 series $30+K). I regret that I must think about "moving on" after 12 years. If I had the time I would do a complete restoration but, alas, I am still a working man who needs a car for the daily commute.

Great for the most part
By PoLoGT3 on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

After 13 yrs its having some problems but just some things that can't be avoided with time except the brakes wearing so often.

Not quite a lemon
By tired on 07/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Mazda 929 Sedan S 4dr Sedan

Ok when new, after 4 years many repairs needed. Brakes always wear out. Car sits in garage put interior plastic falls off. Rubber stripping around door comes off, light in radio dim, maintenance extremely high. Do not buy this car it dry rots.