2002 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Reliable and zippy family sedan
By Carcrazy10 on 06/07/05 18:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my 99 626 V6 as a preowned with 84K miles on it and have driven over 22k miles since then. No major repairs other than spark plug wires. Regular oil changes and fuel additives like injector cleaners and gas treatment keeps the engine running smooth.Very reliable and friends riding in the backseat love the comfortable seats.

Sport Performance Commuter
By troyb on 04/10/05 11:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for $9,900 last June (2004). It had 10,800 miles on it then and currently has 22,500. I have had no mechanical problems. I am 6'4"+ so the vehicle gets a bit uncomfortable on 1-hour+ rides (leg room). There is not really ample room for adult passengers in the back seat, I think the '02 Protege has more space. The V-6/5-spd is quite peppy, especially on the highway. I average between 26-29 mpg. The interior is simple and functional. The exterior design is nice, but the paint scratches easier then other cars I have owned and the door molding paint is fading. The suspension is sporty, but can get uncomfortable on bumpy roads.

Good for commuting
By commuterdriver on 12/07/04 13:31 PM (PST)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it when it was a year old and it has been a good commuter car. Nothing really bad about it. The horsepower is a little weak when going up big hills though. Last 10,000 miles or so, the engine has developed this buzz that has not gone away. Someday I will take it to the Mazda dealer to analyze.

I like my 626 :-)
By skeezers on 11/11/04 01:49 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 626 for about 6 months now. We bought the car used but I have to say that we have really enjoyed the car. Although the exterior is a little boring the performance and comfort more than makes up for it. The car is quiet and has a very sturdy feeling to it. It also has great get up and go. We've had no problems. We took the car on a long road trip and it was very comfortable and handled well on steep and mountainous roads. We love it!

good car
By KKURT on 10/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great car for the bucks. I purchased it new in 2002. Seats are comfortable, good head and leg room even at 6'3". V-6 has plenty of get up and go. In two years the 626 has been trouble free. I had a Mazda GLC 20+ years ago and it was a great car, oil changes, brakes and tires where about the extent of repairs. Two years with the 626 oil changes are all the service it has required Never will understand why the 626 did not compete better as far as number of units sold. The ES V6 with leather, CD, traction control, fog lights etc was a great bargin as compared to similar cars.

good car for the price
By hydro21 on 09/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this car 2 months ago and so far i love it. the v6 gives you a lot of power though it seems a little sluggish in city driving. the leather seats makes the car look and feel a lot more luxurious then it is. id get the V6 because the 4 cyclinder doesnt have any power. the ride is smooth but i wish the steering was a little tighter it has more of a big car feeling. its spacey and the interior looks plain but nice. This is a really good car.

Good for a temporary car
By Memphishold on 08/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My girlfriend and I shopped around till she found this 626. She wanted something else, but nothing else seem to offer greater value for similar price. At first, we liked it a lot and she talked about keeping it for a lot longer. However, now there's a problem with the intake manifold, and three seperate repair shop can't seem to fix it. It's still running okay, but she can't help but wonder when the car would give her troubles. It's a good car, just that it disappointed us quite a bit after just two years. Getting this car at a low price allowed my girlfriend to save up for another car, so we'll be shopping for another Mazda, maybe Mazda 3 to replace this

college students car
By moodswinger on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

good for a second car

Fun for a first car
By Dr. Frito on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased this new a year ago for $15,000. Being our first new car we wanted to be careful. We looked at the Accord and Camry and really would have liked an Accord, however for the V-6 model we would have shelled out an additional 6-8 grand. We've had no troubles with it and really have had fun. We took off on a 2500 mile road trip not too long after purchase. Interior is clean and simple. Exterior is also clean and simple. No qualms with anything.

V6 Rulez
By vas on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have 2002 626 LX V6 for about a year. Exterior look is very stylish, easy to recognize. Acceleration and handling are great, no need to slow down on highway turns. 626 V6 version has Japanese transmission, so go for it if you are afraid of Ford tranny. No mechanical problems so far (closing to 10K on it). The cost is 5-6 grand less than 6-liter Camry or Accord. Easy choice!