2002 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
The most reliable car I ever owned
By mazdamom6 on 09/13/11 14:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda 626 2002 used in 2003 with 1500 miles, ran the heck out of it from state to state for three years with no problems what so ever. It was such a great car that when my daughter needed a safe car I gave her my Mazda because it was safe, reliable and perfect for her. She is still driving it today with no problems other than regular maint. It has well over 100,000 and will likely last another ten years. I have looked and looked to purchase another one for myself and can not find one for sale (I suspect they have stayed in families, just like mine.) Excellent car! FYI mine was not a manual

Reliable all the way
By mazdamontrealer on 08/10/10 08:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was highly recommended by a consumer publication in Canada provided it did not come with the automatic transmission. My car is a 2002 with the 4 – cylinder and manual transmission. The engine is definitely underpowered but if you don’t mind shifting down and revving a bit, you can use the ample torque at about 3000 rpm to supply a fun driving experience. The car currently has 200,000 km (120,000 mi) on it. I keep it very well maintained, even changing the shocks and springs which give it a better ride than when new. This also helped preserve the suspension components, which take a pounding on the winter-ravaged streets in Montreal.

Lots of extras
By Mike from East Islip on 07/09/10 13:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like driving Mazda 626 and the dealer was good to deal with. This car has a zippy 4 cyl. engine and is good on gas. The car is comfortable and has some nice extras like the headlights turn off automatically. The engine is a bit loud for a sporty effect and I replaced the radio because the display wasn't work most of the time but the radio I put in it has a I-pod jack. I have 98,000 miles on her as is still running good. I hope to have this car for a while.

Mazda 626 2002 (4 Cyl. 5M)
By e44 on 06/24/09 08:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have absolutely no problems with this car. I follow the maintenance schedule faithfully. I have read reviews that say the manual transmission is no good. I find it shifts like a dream. My car has +100 000 miles on it and it runs perfectly. The clutch has absolutely no wear on it. If you maintain these cars they will be dependable and very economical. I would advise staying away from the automatic transmission. This is a Ford product. The car is fun to drive, has responsive steering and connects the driver well to the road.

Fun, affordable sedan
By larzmac on 03/20/09 13:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Still running like a champ at 130,000 miles. This car has (still) a nice pick-up. It's a blast to drive with its rigid chassis and sporty suspension. Fuel economy for me has always been just sub-30, which is great. I live in an extreme climate, and the climate controls are very impressive. It handles (very) sub-zero temperatures well, just as it cools well in over 100 temperatures.

Dull but very reliable
By Dependable on 08/22/08 09:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had the car since it had 25K miles. Now four years later and at 104K miles it has hardly any problems. Extremely reliable car. As others said, new passengers always find the swinging air vent interesting.

over 101000 miles and no breakdowns!
By RLC on 08/06/08 15:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 02 626 (4 cyl) just reached its 101000 mile. I am writing a review only to say that I have owned this car since it had 20,000 miles and have NEVER been let down! the engine runs great and all mechanics have run normally. This would make a great used car if you are considering a purchase. Also, the swinging air vents are always a conversation piece.

2002 626 LX - 4 cylinder / Automatic
By Dan on 07/06/06 17:53 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased 2002 626 in May 2006 with 57,000 miles. Car is in good to excellent shape. Getting about 23 MPG in mixed driving. Car has been very reliable and is a good comfortable road trip car for 4 people and plenty of luggage. 4 cylinder motor isn't all that powerful (the 2002 Altima has a much more powerful motor) and road noise is sometimes very noticeable.

Pretty good little car for the money
By Jason on 03/29/06 11:05 AM (PST)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I like it; could use a little more power, but it is fun to drive and has decent acceleration. I only get about 22-25 miles/gallon with the 2.0 litre inline four so fuel economy is suffering a bit with age. All in all it is a good car for the money if you can get around the non-sporty looks of the outside. I added a K&N air filter, a tornado air management system and superflo exhaust system to my car so it is slightly peppier than some of the stock 626's around.

Mazda 626 - not worth the money
By kristywahoo1 on 07/25/05 23:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Mazda 626 because I've always thought of Mazda as a company like Toyota or Honda - a company that stands behind its quality cars. I was wrong. I bought my 626 a year ago, and already it needs a transmission. The interior is spacious and borderline elegant, and the exterior is solid and the exterior, sturdy. Mine is only 3 years old, and had a full inspect upon purchase. The car jerks when shifting gears, and it's unreliable. Mazda used the same transmission as the 2002 Ford Probe that year, which also was faulty. Beware....Mazda will not take responsibility and provide and extended warranty. They apparently don't want to pay for their mistakes, so their customers have to