Used 2002 Mazda 626 ES V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

I like my 626 :-)
By skeezers

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 626 for about 6 months now. We bought the car used but I have to say that we have really enjoyed the car. Although the exterior is a little boring the performance and comfort more than makes up for it. The car is quiet and has a very sturdy feeling to it. It also has great get up and go. We've had no problems. We took the car on a long road trip and it was very comfortable and handled well on steep and mountainous roads. We love it!

Favorite Features

Swing fans, very comfortable seats, huge trunk, fold down back seats, no awkward blind spots, good stereo system. Great heater and AC, we live in an extreme hot and cold climate and it has performed well.

Suggested Improvements

When the seats fold down the opening is made smaller by panels on back of trunk. Transmission is a little touchy, when going from reverse to drive you must stop completely (recommended anyway for any car) or car "jumps".

good car
By KKURT

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great car for the bucks. I purchased it new in 2002. Seats are comfortable, good head and leg room even at 6'3". V-6 has plenty of get up and go. In two years the 626 has been trouble free. I had a Mazda GLC 20+ years ago and it was a great car, oil changes, brakes and tires where about the extent of repairs. Two years with the 626 oil changes are all the service it has required Never will understand why the 626 did not compete better as far as number of units sold. The ES V6 with leather, CD, traction control, fog lights etc was a great bargin as compared to similar cars.

Favorite Features

Leather interior and reliabilty at an afordable price

Suggested Improvements

Bring the 626 model back--it looks better and was priced more competatively than the new model 6's or 3's.

good car for the price
By hydro21

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

i bought this car 2 months ago and so far i love it. the v6 gives you a lot of power though it seems a little sluggish in city driving. the leather seats makes the car look and feel a lot more luxurious then it is. id get the V6 because the 4 cyclinder doesnt have any power. the ride is smooth but i wish the steering was a little tighter it has more of a big car feeling. its spacey and the interior looks plain but nice. This is a really good car.

Favorite Features

Leather, traction control system, and the rims that come with the es model

Suggested Improvements

needs to look more sporty especially in the front, tranny is kinda of rough. keeps me up at nights worrying that the tranny is going to go soon

Lots of band for the dollar
By kawnow

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the 626 and a protege 5, which today I get rid of the protege 5. Stylish comfort. I see complaints about the leg room, which i could see if i was over 6 feet tall, but I'm not, so no complaints. Excellent stero. Tansmission is usually smooth, a little, and I mean just a little, rough on cold mornings. Average gas mileage. It's my thoughts that Mazda made basic seem cool.

Favorite Features

Stero, Swing fan, heated side mirrors, plenty trunk room, comfortable leather seats

Suggested Improvements

heated seats.. but they don't make the 626 anymore :(

Like the luxury
By Joseph-WWJD

2002 Mazda 626 Sedan ES-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Mazda 626 ES is a stylish and good- looking car. Good handling. Fair gas millage. Rough transmission. Excellent price. The swing fan is so cool. Heated mirrors are the standard. Good CD player. Radio has great reception. Hidden antenna. Trunk-open remote control. Two 12V outlets and one of them is under the front console for cell phone, MP3 player, or palm pilot.

Favorite Features

Stylish looking. Swing fan. 12V outlet under the front console. Trunk-open remote control. Hidden Antenna. Good handling. EXCELLENT price.

Suggested Improvements

Fair gas millage. Poor horse power. Rough transmission.