Used 2002 Mazda 626 LX V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Reliable and zippy family sedan
By Carcrazy10

2002 Mazda 626 LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my 99 626 V6 as a preowned with 84K miles on it and have driven over 22k miles since then. No major repairs other than spark plug wires. Regular oil changes and fuel additives like injector cleaners and gas treatment keeps the engine running smooth.Very reliable and friends riding in the backseat love the comfortable seats.

Favorite Features

Swinging A/C vents. Auto power off for the headlights. Decent factory installed stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Not made anymore so will skip this.

Sport Performance Commuter
By troyb

2002 Mazda 626 LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for $9,900 last June (2004). It had 10,800 miles on it then and currently has 22,500. I have had no mechanical problems. I am 6'4"+ so the vehicle gets a bit uncomfortable on 1-hour+ rides (leg room). There is not really ample room for adult passengers in the back seat, I think the '02 Protege has more space. The V-6/5-spd is quite peppy, especially on the highway. I average between 26-29 mpg. The interior is simple and functional. The exterior design is nice, but the paint scratches easier then other cars I have owned and the door molding paint is fading. The suspension is sporty, but can get uncomfortable on bumpy roads.

Favorite Features

The 5-speed manual is fantastic! The V- 6 engine performs very well. I like the interior and dash design and layout. It performs great on the highway. For the cost it is a great car and has been very reliable for me. I plan to keep it around for a while.

Suggested Improvements

There are hardly any aftermarket upgrades for the V-6 Mazda 626. I know the Mazda 6 has about the same driver leg room so that could be improved upon. I know the Accord and Camry are a lot more roomy & comfortable-but more expensive.

Fun for a first car
By Dr. Frito

2002 Mazda 626 LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We purchased this new a year ago for $15,000. Being our first new car we wanted to be careful. We looked at the Accord and Camry and really would have liked an Accord, however for the V-6 model we would have shelled out an additional 6-8 grand. We've had no troubles with it and really have had fun. We took off on a 2500 mile road trip not too long after purchase. Interior is clean and simple. Exterior is also clean and simple. No qualms with anything.

Favorite Features

Clean simple interior, everything labeled clearly and within easy reach. Sound system isn't too bad. Nice materials used, not all cheapy plastics like the Chevy and Fords were.

Suggested Improvements

This is a moot point since it is no longer being made, however the cup holders are in a dangerous place which hampers shifting our manual transmision. It isn't as quiet as the Accord either and has less power. Gas mileage could have been better. (got around 28-29 on the interstate.)

V6 Rulez
By vas

2002 Mazda 626 LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have 2002 626 LX V6 for about a year. Exterior look is very stylish, easy to recognize. Acceleration and handling are great, no need to slow down on highway turns. 626 V6 version has Japanese transmission, so go for it if you are afraid of Ford tranny. No mechanical problems so far (closing to 10K on it). The cost is 5-6 grand less than 6-liter Camry or Accord. Easy choice!

Favorite Features

Stylish exterior, roomy interior, turn handling

Suggested Improvements

More trunk space, heated seats

go with 6-cylinder
By zymur

2002 Mazda 626 LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Originally had a 4-cylinder and traded up to a 6- cylinder.Lots of pep and STILL get 26+ miles per gallon! ( Even when driving at 80MPH!) Have over 63,000 miles and my wife has over 83,000 miles on her same model with no problems on either car.