Class problem with auto trans
By Goopie on
2001 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
We bought this car out of the Hertz fleet with 26K on the clock. It was reliable early on, needing only a plug wire set and fuel pump (both replaced under warranty). Now at 100K mi the transmission failed to the tune of $2000, even though I have had it flushed twice and have been running Amsoil synthetic ATF since about 50K mi. Perhaps it would have failed sooner if I hadn't been proactive about the service and premium ATF. It is a Ford CD4E trans and is infamous for failing in this car. Mazda is apparently not standing behind it; there are no recalls and of course now it is out of warranty. The engine has been reliable but due to the trans failure Mazda has lost a customer forever.
Favorite Features
Roomy and handles relatively well though I would not describe it as "fun to drive". The 4-cyl engine is noisy and lacks torque, but gets reasonable fuel economy. Nice looking body style still holds up.
Suggested Improvements
Why list any? They don't make the 626 any more. We just bought a Honda. Now that I have paid to have the Mazda trans repaired it will be my daily driver and I will run the sucker into the ground, then junk it.