2001 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Piece of junk never buy a 626
By miami3055 on 04/09/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Ok where do I start I bought the car for 4500 and I have put that much into repairing the darn thing. Tranny went out at 117,000 water pump and timing belt at 118,000 2 radiator resivours had bad seals and coolant leaked through. Brakes needed to be done @ 115,000. The car just fell apart right after I bought it and I would never even consider Mazda again for a future car in any model at all. They are cheeply made and also the tranny is a Ford tranny. Umm Mazda car with Ford tranny? tranny has been known to fail in these cars but Mazda says nothing about it and has no recalls on it. Ford and Mazda will never receive any future purchases from me ever

Good family/professional car
By jordao on 10/04/05 12:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Other than the nice features below, the leather seats are really comfortable. It has a very smooth drive, but the V6 has plenty of pick up and go when I need it. I am 6 foot 2, and the Hondas and Toyotas I tried are not comfortable. The Mazda has a great roomy interior with a real professional feel, easy to get in and out.

Falling Apart
By Peddler281 on 07/07/05 15:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Thank goodness for extended warranties! At 35000, but over the 3 years, the rack and pinion was replaced. At 38000 the transmission was replaced. Air conditioner has been making a noise for the past 18 months, but not broken so not repairable under the warranty. Struts are shot even though driving only on good paved roads. Planning on selling as soon as possible.

Transmission Problem
By Jill Sevastianos on 11/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My experience with the Mazda 626 was that the transmission went out at 46,000 miles (4 months past warranty) and Mazda refused to help with any after warranty repair. The dealership helps Mazda determine whether they should extend help and there is no escalation point. Mazda has a severe quality control problem with their transmissions and I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone.

Zoom-Zoom-Zoom
By pcannon on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Second Mazda 626 LX V6. Gets 21 mpg on average. Elegant style and acceptable craftsmanship so far. Added simulated wood grain trim really makes car look classy. Very nimble for sedan hard to believe! Fun to drive, great for midlifers and above! A very happy Mazda Owner. Only complain so far is paint around fog lamp plastic bezzel peeled off when I power washed car to get bugs off in coin operated power bay at 3500 miles. Dealer agreed to fix after consulting with regional service manager.

2001 626LX
By bogeyman on 04/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My Mazda has 45K miles. No problems. It has the standard 4 cylinder motor. Plenty of power for town and interstate driving. Styling is a little dated, but so am I. Comfort is pretty good, except for drivers arm rest. I do not like the ignition key...it it very long and jabs my side during the day while it is in my pocket. I change my own oil. This is one of the hardest vehicles to change the oil on(the filter is super small and in a hard place to reach). Most of the time I go to Jiffy Lube instead. I have owned 4 Honda Accords in the past. This auto is as good overall as a Honda, and a little bit cheaper to purchase. Defects have been zero so far.

good value for the $$$
By vhsmbg on 03/14/02 13:51 PM (PST)

2001 Mazda 626 Sedan LX-V6 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This one is a nice V6 4 door midsize sedan. Nice design, not too fancy, has all you need. Performance is very good with the V6. gas milage might need some improvement. Seem to be pretty reliable. You won't go wrong if you get one