2000 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Just bought
By Echo1 on 04/03/08 04:20 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 626, used of course, but I think it's going to be a good investment. I love the body style and its running great except for the hiccup with first gear. Ive read some of the previous reviews and am worried about the transmission, but my dealer offers a warranty on it for 2 years. I think I will take one persons advice and install a tranny cooler as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone for their great reviews and heads up! I hope this car will take me pretty far.

Not satisfied
By Lori on 10/22/07 10:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

We were not satisfied with this vehicle at all. We have had nothing but problems with it and the parts and maintenance are expensive for this car. It has been in the shop several times for major work before it even hit 30,000 miles. It now has 65,000 miles and still nothing but trouble. We have decided to never own a Mazda or Ford due to the problems we have had.

A very good car
By x on 03/29/07 18:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle new and we have been very happy with it. It has never broken down. We have had very few repair issues, in fact the front brakes are still going strong after 106K miles. This has been a very good car for us. The v6 provides good pick-up and high cruising ability. It has a manual transmission and we have had no transmission or clutch problems.

ONE GREAT CAR!
By X on 03/18/07 18:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new. It is a V6 with a manual transmission. After 6 years and 107K miles it has never stranded us. Very few problems (coolant expansion tank burst and the cable opening the hood broke). It still looks and drives like new. It has good giddy-up and is fun to drive with the power moon roof and CD player. I would recommend this car to everyone.

Fun with 5 speed, but materials/build okay
By boost4 on 07/10/06 17:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is my 2nd 626 and 3rd Mazda. The others were turbo 4 cylinders which are still lasting longer than I imagined. My current 6's V6 is fun to drive and makes great high revving sounds, but is a bit low on torque. What I have found quality-wise leads me to believe it will not hold together like my circa 80's cars did. So far the coolant expansion tank has sprung a leak, so it was replaced. The driver's door power lock motor ate itself making a horribly loud noise while operating. Both are common issues for this model, and it did help that both parts were acquired from the dealer for around $50. I refuse to blame these quirks on US assembly, as my previous ones were both US & Japanese made and both were excellent.

Good car
By Chris on 06/19/06 17:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 626 July of 2004, and it has been a good car. I get 31 MPG on each tank so that is nice with gas prices on the rise. The only issue we have had is with the brakes wearing out too quickly, and the shop replaced them for free so that could have been the mechanic's error. Overall a great car. I had the 2000 Toyota Camry and the 626 isn't too far off. The 4 cylinder is a little weak on the pick up, but the gas mileage makes up for it a bit.

Review:
By Shellee on 03/06/06 20:57 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I agree, I bought my car just by the look and test drive. I should have known that when I drove off the lot after signing papers something would go wrong. Since March last year I have had my car in the shop about 7 times, all to get the transmission replaced. When I bought the car I did not know about this site. I have finally gotten my car fixed right and it's wonderful.

Mazda 626
By Mike Bean on 01/26/06 18:38 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Mazda 626 back in Oct. 2001. I really wanted a 2000 Dodge Intrepid but was not pleased with the cornering of the vehicle (it leaned while turning corners). I drove the Mazda 626 and was impressed with its performance. About 70,000 miles later my tranny failed. At 89,000 it failed again. After intense investigations, I found out the trannys all overheated. Mazda did not install transmission coolers in these cars. ALL CARS HAVE THEM, EXCEPT THESE. I installed a $25 tranny cooler myself in about 15 minutes. This cooler could've saved me $4400. My Mazda has over 140k miles and runs like new. Why didn't the repair shop detect the root of the problem?

good car
By Jacquelyn Beaver on 04/14/05 16:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I found that it is a great, reliable car as long as you keep up with oil changes and tune-ups. It's not fancy, but if you're looking for a comfortable car for your passengers, it's nice and roomy. It doesn't get as good of gas mileage as I hoped but it's not as bad as my Bronco was. It's a great family sedan.

Excellent car for the money
By Tex626 on 02/28/05 20:59 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

My 2000 626 LX is coming up on 90,000 trouble free miles. All I have ever done is normal maintenance. Although some more horsepower might be nice, I like the great gas mileage, excellent handling, and excellent reliability. It is a fun car to drive. This was my first Mazda and I have already bought a 2nd Mazda. Great Car!