Used 2000 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Not a good over 120,000 vehichle
By dusnth

2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

My husband & I purchased this vehicle used with about 55,000 miles on it. Was very reliable with very few problems until it reached around 120,000 when we were constantly dealing with issues. From A/C issues that had to be fixed because they were needed for other systems, to main engine trouble, this car turned into a money pit with high miles. I noticed most reviews have been written with the cars still under 100,000 miles. If you are wanting a car that will last, get rid of your 626 before it hits 120,000. We wish we did. The repair man just told us it would be another $700 to fix the issues this time. We said forget it, and revived an older car we had. A much more reliable choice.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, plenty of leg room, roomy even for larger guys (like my husband)

Suggested Improvements

Oscillating vents seemed great, until 110 degree days when driver and passenger both wanted continuous air blown at them. CD player gave out long before it should have. Air conditioning not very cold, expensive to get parts and work on

Problems
By Hey882

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this used car in February 3rd, and I drove till the 5th and the car broke down. Having no Acceleration when i was driving and when i pulled up to the side trying to re-start the vehicle it won't start. So i brought it to the Mechanics to repair the problem, they found out that the "Fuel Pump" was broken. So I got it repair and drive it for another 3 days the same problem appear. So I think this is not a good car unless you want to have as a back up. Right now if the car is fix, I'm still worry about driving this car around. Its like wasting money to buy a car that cannot drive.

Favorite Features

The Aircondition is good...it cools in a minutes.

Suggested Improvements

The car itself. The Machanics area.

my first car
By JD

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. My dad bought it new at the dealership and when he got a altima he gave this car to me. It is a very solid car. It has solid acceleration and good handling. I like to push this car to its limits. I have hit 120 in this car! Anyway the seats are very comfortable and supportive. The air conditioning works well and I think every single person that has been in my car has commented on the rotating air vents! The transmission is ok (I wish I had a manual). The design of this car is ok, I think its a little too round. The newer sixes look a lot nicer, but obviously this car is nine yrs old. Overall this is a good car

Favorite Features

rotating air vents, reliability, seats, engine noise above 4k

Suggested Improvements

more hp and torque!! obviously they did that in the new ones. i like the new design better too

Almost 120,000 miles in 6 years!!
By CR

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car A LOT -- long road trips, extended periods of stop & go local driving, and commuting up a mountain and back 6 days a week for almost 2 years. It is very comfortable. The only downside is the tiny engine. I've maintained my car well and it now has 163,000+ miles. I am finally in need of a new one. The struts are shot and so are my motor mounts. I think these issues may have been caused, in part, by my driving around for a month with a broken sway-bar link (part of the suspension). I've never had a problem with my transmission, or engine. I'd get my car fixed, but with 163,000+ miles it is hard to say how much longer the transmission will last...I'll miss my car :-/

Favorite Features

The interior design is fabulous -- comfortable seats, lots of storage spaces, a huge trunk, good cup holders, and oscillating air vents! I love that the radio antenna is built into the back window. I can listen to music while in the car wash :-)

Suggested Improvements

All cars should have radio controls in the steering wheel! This car could use a better sound system. It could also use a more powerful engine. It's reliable, but not very spunky! Also, it's seats fold down, but there's only a small space in the middle that extends all the way to the truck.

206,000 miles
By Aeromech99

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Replaced transmission (about $800.00 used) but bought car for $500.00, great exterior condition, black with excellent paint. Will install a tranny cooler since none on car from factory. I drive about 50-60 miles a day and get satisfactory mpg. Best used car I ever bought. Need to fix A/C. Looks like a slow leak. Transmissions are hard to come by used, expect about $900-$1400 rebuilt with warranty. Shifts hard into 2nd gear, also hard on the downshift to 1st. Most gear heads i speak to say this is fine. If motor goes I will replace with 6 cyl.

Favorite Features

Styling, easy reach of all features on dash. (6' 1" tall).

Suggested Improvements

Better suspension, feels like it drifts on high speed gradual turns. Get a tranny cooler if you get this car used.