2000 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Money Pit!
By chuckcb66 on 11/30/13 12:27 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Bought the 4 cylinder with about 30k miles on it. Once I hit 100k every major system started breaking down. Replaced the transmission, everything on the front end from the sway bar to the tie rods and ball joints. Electrical problems. I think I put more money in this car than I paid for it. I will never buy a Mazda product again. Not built to last. Drove daily 80 miles a day all highway. The worst car I ever owned.

Totally Disappointed
By mr_misled on 03/10/11 14:01 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Purchased the 626 used at 60k mi. Now have around 173k and on the 3rd transmission, which is now going out after 31k miles. That's $2,200 for the transmission that lasted less than 2yrs. Beyond that, I've went through many a hot months without AC, after spending 800 to repair it. But hey, it has an oscillating vent that still works!! Truly a bad piece of machinery.

a lot for a little
By value conscious on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

When we got the letter that our 1997 626's lease was going to expire, I drove the Honda, Toyota , VW & the new 626. and quite frankly I couldn't tell that much difference, so price became an important factor. We have always liked the moonroof and ABS brakes, and for our new one we wanted leather seats, which added a week or so to find what we wanted, The transmission does shift hard once in awhile but the car has only had one little recall and seen the shop only for perodic services. The Mazda company has been outstanding when dealing with them

Comes up short but ...
By cadjocky on 03/24/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

My 2000 626ES was purchased instead of the Honda or Toyota based on price. The car handles great, rides nice, but the engine is too buzzy and quite underpowered. I thought I could get used to that, but I long for more power without seeing the tach at 6000 rpm. The interior looks like a million bucks and I don't think anybody makes a better one in this price range. The transmission is easily the worst feature of the car with rough shifts and an annoying tendancy to slam into gear after coasting. I thought I may have just gotten a bad transmission but after it failed and was replaced by an equally bad shifting transmission I think it is just a bad design.