2000 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Not a good over 120,000 vehichle
By dusnth on 03/27/10 21:24 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My husband & I purchased this vehicle used with about 55,000 miles on it. Was very reliable with very few problems until it reached around 120,000 when we were constantly dealing with issues. From A/C issues that had to be fixed because they were needed for other systems, to main engine trouble, this car turned into a money pit with high miles. I noticed most reviews have been written with the cars still under 100,000 miles. If you are wanting a car that will last, get rid of your 626 before it hits 120,000. We wish we did. The repair man just told us it would be another $700 to fix the issues this time. We said forget it, and revived an older car we had. A much more reliable choice.

A very good car
By x on 03/29/07 18:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle new and we have been very happy with it. It has never broken down. We have had very few repair issues, in fact the front brakes are still going strong after 106K miles. This has been a very good car for us. The v6 provides good pick-up and high cruising ability. It has a manual transmission and we have had no transmission or clutch problems.

ONE GREAT CAR!
By X on 03/18/07 18:17 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new. It is a V6 with a manual transmission. After 6 years and 107K miles it has never stranded us. Very few problems (coolant expansion tank burst and the cable opening the hood broke). It still looks and drives like new. It has good giddy-up and is fun to drive with the power moon roof and CD player. I would recommend this car to everyone.

Fun with 5 speed, but materials/build okay
By boost4 on 07/10/06 17:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is my 2nd 626 and 3rd Mazda. The others were turbo 4 cylinders which are still lasting longer than I imagined. My current 6's V6 is fun to drive and makes great high revving sounds, but is a bit low on torque. What I have found quality-wise leads me to believe it will not hold together like my circa 80's cars did. So far the coolant expansion tank has sprung a leak, so it was replaced. The driver's door power lock motor ate itself making a horribly loud noise while operating. Both are common issues for this model, and it did help that both parts were acquired from the dealer for around $50. I refuse to blame these quirks on US assembly, as my previous ones were both US & Japanese made and both were excellent.

Excellent car for the money
By Tex626 on 02/28/05 20:59 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My 2000 626 LX is coming up on 90,000 trouble free miles. All I have ever done is normal maintenance. Although some more horsepower might be nice, I like the great gas mileage, excellent handling, and excellent reliability. It is a fun car to drive. This was my first Mazda and I have already bought a 2nd Mazda. Great Car!

good investment
By rajali2000 on 08/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Good car.Should buy Cruise,Auto seat ctrl,Swirl AC outlet,sunroof (tilt,slide) ,Bose System,Leather seats, mileage

626 - Everything but the transmission
By JohannDS on 05/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

The 626 has decent handling and good road feel for a midsize. Steering is crisp and braking excellent. The six cylinder is not exactly powerful, but adequate for passing trucks at highway speeds without shifting out of overdrive. You can get onto the highway and up to traffic speed safely. The transmission, however, is truly diappointing. It shifts rough through every gear, and the shift from first to second in stop-and-go traffic is jarring. It's been back to the shop 8 times for this, but I was told it was operating within specs! Worst shifting car I have ever driven. Because of this, I won't buy another one.

Best in price range
By SuperRevs on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I have my car for a 1.5 years and have had no problems. I had to replace freon which kind of annoyed me cause I really think the car came with it low. Car handles well, looks great and the V6 model is plenty fast. I do not like the downshift feature of the automatic sometimes it is a little rough. I have not noticed the engine noise like so many posting, but I play my music loud. I definately recommend this car over Camry and Honda. I am a previous Camry owner and this handles much better.

Too bad for wind noise!
By pcannon on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Rented 626 and thrilled to drive so bought one. Very elegent driftwood color and alloy wheels makes car look classy. So fun to drive hard to believe it's a sedan. Drives great and perfect for mid lifers. Get the V6 for today's driving. However, the actual vehicle I took delivery of had an annoying and unrepairable wind noise from rear upper cornet of driver's side window. Dealer did not spend a great deal of time and dismissed or minimized condition so I had to unload it and get another unit. Must have been a Monday or Friday car. Averaged 21 mpg. Caution, remote keyless entry will not unlock door if keys in ignition with vehicle running! Snowbirds beware!