Used 2000 Mazda 626 LX V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Not a good over 120,000 vehichle
By dusnth

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My husband & I purchased this vehicle used with about 55,000 miles on it. Was very reliable with very few problems until it reached around 120,000 when we were constantly dealing with issues. From A/C issues that had to be fixed because they were needed for other systems, to main engine trouble, this car turned into a money pit with high miles. I noticed most reviews have been written with the cars still under 100,000 miles. If you are wanting a car that will last, get rid of your 626 before it hits 120,000. We wish we did. The repair man just told us it would be another $700 to fix the issues this time. We said forget it, and revived an older car we had. A much more reliable choice.

Favorite Features

Comfortable, plenty of leg room, roomy even for larger guys (like my husband)

Suggested Improvements

Oscillating vents seemed great, until 110 degree days when driver and passenger both wanted continuous air blown at them. CD player gave out long before it should have. Air conditioning not very cold, expensive to get parts and work on

A very good car
By x

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

We purchased this vehicle new and we have been very happy with it. It has never broken down. We have had very few repair issues, in fact the front brakes are still going strong after 106K miles. This has been a very good car for us. The v6 provides good pick-up and high cruising ability. It has a manual transmission and we have had no transmission or clutch problems.

Favorite Features

Reliability and the power moon roof. I don't think I'll ever buy another car without a moon roof. Also the exterior paint is still like new. The car still drives like it is new.

Suggested Improvements

It would be good if the alloy wheels didn't scratch as much. If this car had a little more torque it would be on par with a BMW 3 series.

ONE GREAT CAR!
By X

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new. It is a V6 with a manual transmission. After 6 years and 107K miles it has never stranded us. Very few problems (coolant expansion tank burst and the cable opening the hood broke). It still looks and drives like new. It has good giddy-up and is fun to drive with the power moon roof and CD player. I would recommend this car to everyone.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, even without a shield lets in very little wind so it can be used year-round (I live in New England).

Suggested Improvements

The alloy rims scratch too easy.

Fun with 5 speed, but materials/build okay
By boost4

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

This car is my 2nd 626 and 3rd Mazda. The others were turbo 4 cylinders which are still lasting longer than I imagined. My current 6's V6 is fun to drive and makes great high revving sounds, but is a bit low on torque. What I have found quality-wise leads me to believe it will not hold together like my circa 80's cars did. So far the coolant expansion tank has sprung a leak, so it was replaced. The driver's door power lock motor ate itself making a horribly loud noise while operating. Both are common issues for this model, and it did help that both parts were acquired from the dealer for around $50. I refuse to blame these quirks on US assembly, as my previous ones were both US & Japanese made and both were excellent.

Favorite Features

Smooth running, with 7k RPM redline. Decent fuel economy (about 22 avg.), handles well for size and comfort level. Space utilization, rear seat room and general seat comfort. Split folding rear. 4 wheel disc brakes. Slightly better than completely bland styling. Excellent pre-owned value.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of certain auxiliary parts. Stay away from FoMoCo supplied parts in the future please Mazda. Body hardware and trim could be attached better. Another 1/2 liter for the V6 engine, which was done on the later 6 courtesy of Ford. A 6th gear or taller ratios to aid highway comfort and economy.

Excellent car for the money
By Tex626

2000 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

My 2000 626 LX is coming up on 90,000 trouble free miles. All I have ever done is normal maintenance. Although some more horsepower might be nice, I like the great gas mileage, excellent handling, and excellent reliability. It is a fun car to drive. This was my first Mazda and I have already bought a 2nd Mazda. Great Car!