2000 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
2000 mazda 6 with 281k miles and still running!
By tamoshanter on 04/19/11 09:27 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

i bought this car new in 5/00 with 16 miles. since then, i now have over 281,000 miles on it and it's still running strong. A/C replaced 2 yrs ago, front axles replaced last year and transmission is going out (5 sp man), but with almost all highway miles, i'm going to drive it into the ground. otherwise, runs smooth, good pick up, comfortableand gets me there and back reliably! happy enough that we bought a 2009 mazda 6 that my wife now drives around!

2000 mazda 626
By lorgan on 12/17/10 14:33 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

hi, i had a 1993 mazda 626 a few year ago, i have to say it was a brilliant car, i had it 2 years and i never had any trouble with it. I recently purchased a 2000 mazda 626 , which is about 10 year old. I didn't expect to get a perfect car second hand , i knew it needed some work, i got a set of spark plugs, rear right hand brake caliber and an altenator belt. I feel the same about this car as i did about my first one, its like a big tank, a big bird on the road, u really get noticed in it. lol. Its quiet, comfortable, and reliable. I always wanted another 626 after my first one.

Problems
By Hey882 on 02/21/10 16:36 PM (PST)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I recently bought this used car in February 3rd, and I drove till the 5th and the car broke down. Having no Acceleration when i was driving and when i pulled up to the side trying to re-start the vehicle it won't start. So i brought it to the Mechanics to repair the problem, they found out that the "Fuel Pump" was broken. So I got it repair and drive it for another 3 days the same problem appear. So I think this is not a good car unless you want to have as a back up. Right now if the car is fix, I'm still worry about driving this car around. Its like wasting money to buy a car that cannot drive.

my first car
By JD on 09/05/09 17:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This was my first car. My dad bought it new at the dealership and when he got a altima he gave this car to me. It is a very solid car. It has solid acceleration and good handling. I like to push this car to its limits. I have hit 120 in this car! Anyway the seats are very comfortable and supportive. The air conditioning works well and I think every single person that has been in my car has commented on the rotating air vents! The transmission is ok (I wish I had a manual). The design of this car is ok, I think its a little too round. The newer sixes look a lot nicer, but obviously this car is nine yrs old. Overall this is a good car

Almost 120,000 miles in 6 years!!
By CR on 08/09/08 21:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I've driven this car A LOT -- long road trips, extended periods of stop & go local driving, and commuting up a mountain and back 6 days a week for almost 2 years. It is very comfortable. The only downside is the tiny engine. I've maintained my car well and it now has 163,000+ miles. I am finally in need of a new one. The struts are shot and so are my motor mounts. I think these issues may have been caused, in part, by my driving around for a month with a broken sway-bar link (part of the suspension). I've never had a problem with my transmission, or engine. I'd get my car fixed, but with 163,000+ miles it is hard to say how much longer the transmission will last...I'll miss my car :-/

206,000 miles
By Aeromech99 on 06/07/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Replaced transmission (about $800.00 used) but bought car for $500.00, great exterior condition, black with excellent paint. Will install a tranny cooler since none on car from factory. I drive about 50-60 miles a day and get satisfactory mpg. Best used car I ever bought. Need to fix A/C. Looks like a slow leak. Transmissions are hard to come by used, expect about $900-$1400 rebuilt with warranty. Shifts hard into 2nd gear, also hard on the downshift to 1st. Most gear heads i speak to say this is fine. If motor goes I will replace with 6 cyl.

Best daily grind car
By Playfirst on 05/31/08 01:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Very comfortable, engine buzzy at 75 mph, slow pick up - don't even bother to rev it past 3500 rpms, handles great, avg. 27.5 mpg mostly city driving. Awesome car for a practical lifestyle. I love it - best beater, daily grind car!

Just bought
By Echo1 on 04/03/08 04:20 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I just bought my 626, used of course, but I think it's going to be a good investment. I love the body style and its running great except for the hiccup with first gear. Ive read some of the previous reviews and am worried about the transmission, but my dealer offers a warranty on it for 2 years. I think I will take one persons advice and install a tranny cooler as soon as possible. Thanks to everyone for their great reviews and heads up! I hope this car will take me pretty far.

Not satisfied
By Lori on 10/22/07 10:40 AM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

We were not satisfied with this vehicle at all. We have had nothing but problems with it and the parts and maintenance are expensive for this car. It has been in the shop several times for major work before it even hit 30,000 miles. It now has 65,000 miles and still nothing but trouble. We have decided to never own a Mazda or Ford due to the problems we have had.

Good car
By Chris on 06/19/06 17:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 626 July of 2004, and it has been a good car. I get 31 MPG on each tank so that is nice with gas prices on the rise. The only issue we have had is with the brakes wearing out too quickly, and the shop replaced them for free so that could have been the mechanic's error. Overall a great car. I had the 2000 Toyota Camry and the 626 isn't too far off. The 4 cylinder is a little weak on the pick up, but the gas mileage makes up for it a bit.