Used 1999 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Debs626
By Bearair

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

A good car with extras for the price. It has been dependable and gets about 30 mpg. No major repairs in 5 years. The only issue is the alternator does not appear to put out enough juice in the summer with the air on. My 1998 626 was the same way.

Favorite Features

Leather and all extras including the auto off on headlights.

Suggested Improvements

More output on the electrical system, i.e., during the summer with air and lights on

we like our 626
By C.A.M.

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We are very happy with this used car. It gives no trouble and is quiet. AC and heat are good. Handling excellent for a sedan. Really sticks to the road. Husband wasnt sure about car at first but he really likes it now that we have owned it for 2+ years. We do have to get the AC system worked on next Spring as it quit cooling. we plan to keep this car as long as possible.

Favorite Features

Handles well and is very comfortable, even in the back seat. Radio sounds good (standard factory install) Electric windows/locks are a nice luxury. I like having clock in car too.

Suggested Improvements

leaves and dirt accumulate around trunk seals and under hood/windshield area. Just takes a little extra cleaning. Horn button takes some finding and cant usually find it as quickly as desired, but havent hit any dogs or cats yet, luckily.

Trouble from the beginning
By Nambi

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought used from a cheat. Next month engine trouble; cost: $2800 3 months later transmission; cost:$2700 Few months later water pump and alternater belts-changed 3 time;cost:totally $1000. Always trouble with sensors; cost:$950 Overall disaster Thought it was from original Japanese company: turns out Ford bought it and ruined it.

Favorite Features

nobody stole it from me-guess nobody wanted it!

Suggested Improvements

Engine, transmission, computer, belts, etc etc

Wanna Be Honda/Toyota
By nv888

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car w/22K miles. Drove it from SF, to LA, San Diego, and back and forth from SF to Seattle 4 times. I never felt safe in this tin can. The fan belt broke on me, the pass.wind stopped working, the CD broke after 60K, and the transmission always made me nervous. I gave it to my sister 2 years ago and bought a LexusGS300 (which i've had problems) The car is reliable,cheap transportation, but I'd never concider it again.Turning radius SUCKS. Parking in dwntn Seattle and SF is embarassing. Go for the real thing. Accord or Camery This car leans so badly on turns, no ABS and brakes SUCK.Pwr Ant.broke. Problems after 60+K miles

Favorite Features

Gas saver. Body style not bad! I had maroon w/dark tint. It looked great/I always used prem.gas and it ran much better.Otherwise it was a slug w/pass. Driving alone not that bad!

a good buy
By Jim54

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

A great college car for me until I recently plowed a deer and totalled the car and deer. Great for carrying 4-5 people with ample space. Nice pick up and smooth metal brakes. Lasted through many long hauls across the Nevada desert without the transmission problems that my 2000 626 had.

Favorite Features

interior, sporty look, trunk space, and backseat room for adults

Suggested Improvements

Bad fan belt and spark plugs, junky cd player that quits after 70,000.