Used 1999 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

My sporty sedan
By Let's Go

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

The professional reviews are pretty accurate. If you need the comfort and roominess of a sedan but like to drive on windy curvy roads you won't be disappointed. While you wouldn't compare it with a Porsche for handling, I drive frequently on 1 lane roads and the performance is good. With the fold down seats I have room for my stuff when I am enjoying the great outdoors.

Fold down seats for extra room.

I have never liked the donut spare. I always replaced it with an original spare thus reducing my interior trunk space. I also have always gotten a flat. Since I am outdoors and miles away from any local service station, it is inconvenient. Dealers never have parts and it takes a few days to order.

buyer beware
By Dave

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for almost 2 years, our 626 has been a decent vehicle for my wife until now. Suddenly the transmission has gone out and had to be replaced. The tranny shop told us that they see a LOT of these Ford transmissions and said most don't make it to 100k miles. I have a Honda and a Mitsubishi that both have over 165k and have had no problems whatsoever. No late model car should have transmission problems this soon (our 626 has about 105k on it). I am now finding that this is fairly common with the 626, so keep that in mind if you are considering buying one. If you do still buy one, go for the V6.

Nice interior and comfortable ride.

Power, Power, Power! This car has none and that's fine if it makes up for that with gas mileage, but it doesn't. Honda and Toyota have much more power with much better gas mileage. Theres no reason Mazda can't do the same.

Debs626
By Bearair

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

A good car with extras for the price. It has been dependable and gets about 30 mpg. No major repairs in 5 years. The only issue is the alternator does not appear to put out enough juice in the summer with the air on. My 1998 626 was the same way.

Leather and all extras including the auto off on headlights.

More output on the electrical system, i.e., during the summer with air and lights on

we like our 626
By C.A.M.

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

We are very happy with this used car. It
gives no trouble and is quiet. AC and
heat are good. Handling excellent for a
sedan. Really sticks to the road.
Husband wasnt sure about car at first
but he really likes it now that we have
owned it for 2+ years. We do have to get
the AC system worked on next Spring as
it quit cooling.
we plan to keep this car as long as
possible.

Handles well and is very comfortable, even in the back seat. Radio sounds good (standard factory install) Electric windows/locks are a nice luxury. I like having clock in car too.

leaves and dirt accumulate around trunk seals and under hood/windshield area. Just takes a little extra cleaning. Horn button takes some finding and cant usually find it as quickly as desired, but havent hit any dogs or cats yet, luckily.

Trouble from the beginning
By Nambi

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Bought used from a cheat.
Next month engine trouble; cost: $2800
3 months later transmission; cost:$2700
Few months later water pump and
alternater belts-changed 3
time;cost:totally $1000.
Always trouble with sensors; cost:$950
Overall disaster
Thought it was from original Japanese
company: turns out Ford bought it and
ruined it.

nobody stole it from me-guess nobody wanted it!

Engine, transmission, computer, belts, etc etc