1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Mazda 626
By slinger on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

The overall car is a nice style and has a comfortable ride. We found the drivetrain to be unreliable. The head gasket blew at 72,000 miles because the coil pack went bad and check engine light came on. The transmission also went bad at 72,500 and had to be replaced twice (the first replacement kept leaking). We are very dissapointed in this vehicle for that.

My 626
By deonne on 01/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

The Mazda 626 is a popular vehicle. However, do not let this fool you. I have had problems with my Mazda and am currently replacing the transmission at 71,000 miles. Now, after much research, I've found that the 626 has a common transmission problem. Unfortunately, it is not on the current list of recalls - but you can find it with the Office of Defects from the National Transporation Highway Safety. Please also be aware that Mazda Corporation does not stand up for the consumer, but sell vehicles with known defects. I recommend you think about buying another car, before you buy a Mazda.

Love it, love it, love it.......
By TJW on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Very nice vehicle - comfortable, excellent ride, all the options without all the cash. Even though I bought used with 41k miles, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this vehicle.

I love my car
By krissy on 11/14/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I love my car. I had a 95 626 and traded it in for a 99. I could not find a vehicle that I liked as much as this one for the price.

Excellent alternative to Accord/Camry
By paulbl on 10/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Overall a vehicle that has exceeded my expectations. Very reliable, not a single problem, just routine maintenance. Excellent fuel economy with the 4cyl 5sp - 30-31 mpg in daily driving (in the horrible Seattle traffic), 36-38 on the hwy. Runs fine on regular unleaded and has adequate power for merging and passing. Great seats, more comfortable than the ones in my parents' Passat! Great leg room front and rear, 4 six-footers fit fine in this car. Could have less road noise, changing the tires helped here (to Yokohama Avid Touring radials), as did adding noise reducing material behind the front doors. Overall highly recommended.

Mazda doesn't suck
By on 10/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my 626, first Mazda I ever owned, with 52000 miles. Drives like new and have had no problems. Could use more power and better gas milage as well as a little more room. Would buy Mazda again. New Mazda 6 should solve most complaints everyone has of the 626.

My Mazda
By Farrell Williams on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I like this vehicle because it has had no mechanical breadowns or problems. In addition, I get good gas mileage

Sensible Buy
By technoguys on 09/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought this car as a used car from dealer. It is a 1999 with 24K miles, for about 13K on road. I have put about 11K miles on it. No probs so far, just regular oil change, 30K service & not a cent more. We did a 2000 miles in four days & it was cool.

cheap car
By master g on 08/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

the door seals came apart, it has no abs brakes so braking is bad, the power windows are really slow to close or open, radio is cheap, ride is smooth but turns are scary if speed is high, resale value is poor.

Excellent Car
By Bfar on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Have had car for three years and have not had any problems with any components. Taking ordinary care of maintenance was the only thing that was necessary. Dealership service was outstanding.