Used 1999 Mazda 626 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Mazda 626

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

More Trouble Than My Three Kids!
By Samantha Rector

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 60,000 miles. And in two weeks of owning the car the transmission went out. The car was under a 30 day warranty so the dealership paid for a rebuilt transmission to put into the car. Less than a year later the transmission that was put in went out. I had to pay $1,800.00 to have another transmission put in (this is the third transmission in this car). I had to take back 6 months later because my car would not go into reverse. The mechanic told me that the transmission in the Mazda's are consistently failing. A/C stopped working. Pulley is going out. Trading in for a Infiniti.

Favorite Features

Seats are comfortable. Spacious. Love how the vents sway.

Suggested Improvements

Need to get all the engineers together and start from scratch.

Another great Mazda
By Luv that Mazda

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th 626 (1st one was in '79). In 175,000 miles only one problem - the heat gauge failed and had to replace the instrument cluster. At this point I get 28 - 31 mpg (with the 5-speed) and am driving 3000+ miles/month. The car still looks good, and like our others, I expect to drive it for 200,000+ miles. Still haven't replaced a clutch, or anything other than normal maintenance. Wish my van was as reliable.

Favorite Features

It just GOES! Problem free.

Suggested Improvements

Add a navigation system.

bought new in 99 still driving fine
By deason

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1999. The first problem i had was in 2004 i replaced the front struts. then had to replace the front axle . after 100K miles i had to replace the drive belt along with the water pump. i consider this a good car... no problems at all till around 100K miles which i think is pretty standard or better than standard for most cars. will drive until it stops running

Favorite Features

i love the way the air vents move. the keyless entry of course.

Suggested Improvements

not a lot of power...

My sporty sedan
By Let's Go

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

The professional reviews are pretty accurate. If you need the comfort and roominess of a sedan but like to drive on windy curvy roads you won't be disappointed. While you wouldn't compare it with a Porsche for handling, I drive frequently on 1 lane roads and the performance is good. With the fold down seats I have room for my stuff when I am enjoying the great outdoors.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats for extra room.

Suggested Improvements

I have never liked the donut spare. I always replaced it with an original spare thus reducing my interior trunk space. I also have always gotten a flat. Since I am outdoors and miles away from any local service station, it is inconvenient. Dealers never have parts and it takes a few days to order.

buyer beware
By Dave

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for almost 2 years, our 626 has been a decent vehicle for my wife until now. Suddenly the transmission has gone out and had to be replaced. The tranny shop told us that they see a LOT of these Ford transmissions and said most don't make it to 100k miles. I have a Honda and a Mitsubishi that both have over 165k and have had no problems whatsoever. No late model car should have transmission problems this soon (our 626 has about 105k on it). I am now finding that this is fairly common with the 626, so keep that in mind if you are considering buying one. If you do still buy one, go for the V6.

Favorite Features

Nice interior and comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Power, Power, Power! This car has none and that's fine if it makes up for that with gas mileage, but it doesn't. Honda and Toyota have much more power with much better gas mileage. Theres no reason Mazda can't do the same.