1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Puff Ball
By rosco on 09/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Not enough power. Poor transmisson.

Excellent Mid-grade Car
By flysandy72 on 07/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

My 626 has been an excellent car. I found this model with a comfortable leather interior that feels much more expensive. My 4 cylinder could use a bit more power so go for the V6 if you can (later years only offer leather with V6). Only other complaints are road noise and turn radius, two issues I can live with for the price.

good car
By chrissy on 07/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

the ride and handleing is amazing

1999 Mazda 626V6LX
By Donaldavid on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This has been a great car, it has not cost one cent in repairs, handles very well, has plenty of power, and is very quiet. I am a Mazda fan, as this is my 3rd Mazda and I have no complaints about any of them. Just as good as an Accord or Camry for a lot less money (although the resale value is not as good). I can't wait to buy the new 6, but will have to wait till this one is paid for.

Best Kept Secret
By MAZDA Dude on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought my green 626 LX-V6 right off the showroom floor...traded out of a "Quality number 0" Ford Taurus. The car has been spot on reliable...all the time. Just replaced my timing belt (yes, you better go do this too) at ~ 74,000 and the mechanic reported the timing and engine were absolutely perfect as new. Good news. Can't wait to buy Mazda's little sports car, the Miata.

Mazda lemon
By BadgerXX3 on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Since the date of purchase this car was in the shop. Built on a sunny Friday afternoon. Problems with the Climate control system and a noisy back end. Transmission repair due to excessive vibration. Drive belts were also an issue. Left me stranded twice, I would not recommend the 626.

1999 Mazada ES
By Doug Turner on 05/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Liked the car. The 4 cyl lacked power. Main complaint is road noise at any speed.

Disappointed in 626 transmission issues
By Disappointed 626er on 05/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 626 new and had no problems until recently. I only have 42,000 miles on a 4 year car and the dealership says I have to pay for an external cooler for my transmission to "preserve" the transmission because it WILL go out early.

Great Car - 103,000 Miles So Far
By vramirez on 04/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new. It currently has 103,000 miles and so far I've only had to pay for routine maintenace..with the exception of the door seals. It did have a couple of repairs while under warranty: Clock spring in steering wheel and CV joints. Mazda auto shops were a pain to work with. Had to take car back several times with both problems before they were fixed. Different Mazda shops.

Transmission Problems on a 99'
By Unhappy Mazda Driver on 03/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I should have been a smart buyer...I thought I was when I first fell in love with my 96' 626. I loved that car...but it was a lease and I wanted to try the newer 626, so I bought the 99'. Why at 60,000 miles I had to get a new transmission! 1,500 dollars!!! OUCH! With the way the economy is going...I had to use all I had and some...just finished paying on the stupid thing. My brain just could not understand why I was getting a new transmission...to what should have been a decent and new car and great condition. Oh well...now I know...and hopefully you will too before you think about purchasing a 626. Hopefully, they're making them better!