Used 1999 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Was good but now...
By Jessica

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 45K on it and never had any problems up until 3 months ago.(100K) It has been a snowball ever since the Altanator belt went. Now the Alt. is bad the O2 sensor (don't know which one) The is oil leaking into exhaust valve, piston ring, fuel injector, there is a vacuum leak. The antenna has been broke since a month after i bought it. Sway bar was broke never knew till we changed the brakes. The altinator is very hard to get at. I loved the car and now it is snowballing on down. I kept up on it and took care of it. But I am to poor to fix it all at once now.

Favorite Features

Swinging air vents. Handling in snow.

Suggested Improvements

POWER, better design of the engine.

I love my Mazda
By cari's car

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My car has over 110,000 miles on it; Yesterday I got almost 40 mpg, interstate driving @ 73 mph with AC, cruise when possible. My car needs a tune up too, but always gets regular oil changes. I added a spoiler, alloy wheels and a stripe at purchase giving the design a more finished look; people still remark at how sporty my car is. I would buy another same model or V6 when/if this one ever gives up. I have minor back problems and the seats are great even for long distances; the rotating fan is great for in between weather and saves AC. Good buy for my money.

Favorite Features

Good seats; rotating fan; fold down back seat open to trunk for hauling long stuff; great gas mileage on hwy; floor mats stay put front and back; nice big trunk; sound system pretty good; roomy interior; easy in and out even with handicap. Like grab bars above side windows. Stable ride; easy to handle!

Suggested Improvements

Add spoiler, wheels and stripes on sides for sportier look; worth extra money. Chronic probs with headlights short/switch putting corrosion on prongs of lights and going out; dash rattle annoying; 1 cup holder bigger for regular coffee mug. AC tied to car cooling system makes it expensive to repair.

I love it
By stanley stoykov

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable. Still running strong after 147000 miles. Around 27 mpg city, hwy 32 mpg. Broken AC at 130000. With good maintenance, gonna last til 200000.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable. Like the fuel economy and design.

Great Car to Own
By Tucker

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car since I bought it three and 1/2 years ago. Just regular maintenance. It has been a very reliable car. I bought the car used and have put 60,000 miles on it. It still drives very smooth and handles great on the road.

Favorite Features

Sway air vents, handling.

Reliable 626
By Kevin Bartosz

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased new when the dealership offered invoice price and Mazda had a $2,250 rebate, a no brainer to purchase a V6 sedan for $17,000. Now 120,000 mies and looking to double that. Terrific MPG's 28 to 30 with an automatic trans. commuting 50 miles one way through the southern NY roads (25 MPG with 4 snow tires). No major mechanical problems to mention. Minor problems- automatic antenna finally broke after 6 years and CD player needed to be replaced once. Very good handling and response. If still going strong at 200k with preventative maintainence and no more hit deer, I will replace the timing belt again (about $350) and shoot for 300K.

Favorite Features

V6 engine and gas mileage, swinging vents, stock stereo system is above average, good size trunk, comfortable driving position

Suggested Improvements

No anti-lock brakes on my car, manual temperature control, it is either hot or cold no in between. next vehicle will have anti lock brakes and automatic temperature control ( 02 Mazda Millenia with same engine). The new design Mazda 6 is more of a head turner than a 626.