1999 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
More Trouble Than My Three Kids!
By Samantha Rector on 10/11/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 60,000 miles. And in two weeks of owning the car the transmission went out. The car was under a 30 day warranty so the dealership paid for a rebuilt transmission to put into the car. Less than a year later the transmission that was put in went out. I had to pay $1,800.00 to have another transmission put in (this is the third transmission in this car). I had to take back 6 months later because my car would not go into reverse. The mechanic told me that the transmission in the Mazda's are consistently failing. A/C stopped working. Pulley is going out. Trading in for a Infiniti.

Another great Mazda
By Luv that Mazda on 08/15/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th 626 (1st one was in '79). In 175,000 miles only one problem - the heat gauge failed and had to replace the instrument cluster. At this point I get 28 - 31 mpg (with the 5-speed) and am driving 3000+ miles/month. The car still looks good, and like our others, I expect to drive it for 200,000+ miles. Still haven't replaced a clutch, or anything other than normal maintenance. Wish my van was as reliable.

bought new in 99 still driving fine
By deason on 08/11/05 22:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new in 1999. The first problem i had was in 2004 i replaced the front struts. then had to replace the front axle . after 100K miles i had to replace the drive belt along with the water pump. i consider this a good car... no problems at all till around 100K miles which i think is pretty standard or better than standard for most cars. will drive until it stops running

My sporty sedan
By Let's Go on 07/28/05 20:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

The professional reviews are pretty accurate. If you need the comfort and roominess of a sedan but like to drive on windy curvy roads you won't be disappointed. While you wouldn't compare it with a Porsche for handling, I drive frequently on 1 lane roads and the performance is good. With the fold down seats I have room for my stuff when I am enjoying the great outdoors.

buyer beware
By Dave on 12/31/04 00:08 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for almost 2 years, our 626 has been a decent vehicle for my wife until now. Suddenly the transmission has gone out and had to be replaced. The tranny shop told us that they see a LOT of these Ford transmissions and said most don't make it to 100k miles. I have a Honda and a Mitsubishi that both have over 165k and have had no problems whatsoever. No late model car should have transmission problems this soon (our 626 has about 105k on it). I am now finding that this is fairly common with the 626, so keep that in mind if you are considering buying one. If you do still buy one, go for the V6.

Debs626
By Bearair on 11/11/04 17:36 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

A good car with extras for the price. It has been dependable and gets about 30 mpg. No major repairs in 5 years. The only issue is the alternator does not appear to put out enough juice in the summer with the air on. My 1998 626 was the same way.

we like our 626
By C.A.M. on 10/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

We are very happy with this used car. It gives no trouble and is quiet. AC and heat are good. Handling excellent for a sedan. Really sticks to the road. Husband wasnt sure about car at first but he really likes it now that we have owned it for 2+ years. We do have to get the AC system worked on next Spring as it quit cooling. we plan to keep this car as long as possible.

Trouble from the beginning
By Nambi on 09/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought used from a cheat. Next month engine trouble; cost: $2800 3 months later transmission; cost:$2700 Few months later water pump and alternater belts-changed 3 time;cost:totally $1000. Always trouble with sensors; cost:$950 Overall disaster Thought it was from original Japanese company: turns out Ford bought it and ruined it.

Wanna Be Honda/Toyota
By nv888 on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car w/22K miles. Drove it from SF, to LA, San Diego, and back and forth from SF to Seattle 4 times. I never felt safe in this tin can. The fan belt broke on me, the pass.wind stopped working, the CD broke after 60K, and the transmission always made me nervous. I gave it to my sister 2 years ago and bought a LexusGS300 (which i've had problems) The car is reliable,cheap transportation, but I'd never concider it again.Turning radius SUCKS. Parking in dwntn Seattle and SF is embarassing. Go for the real thing. Accord or Camery This car leans so badly on turns, no ABS and brakes SUCK.Pwr Ant.broke. Problems after 60+K miles

a good buy
By Jim54 on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

A great college car for me until I recently plowed a deer and totalled the car and deer. Great for carrying 4-5 people with ample space. Nice pick up and smooth metal brakes. Lasted through many long hauls across the Nevada desert without the transmission problems that my 2000 626 had.