Used 1999 Mazda 626 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Great car for me
By jazzy

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2004. It had over 100 thousand miles on it. I have not had any Major car problems until this year 2008 at 166,147 miles. I have put in a transmission and a timing belt in it. It rides very well. No other maintenance problems, regular maintenance upkeep. Very good value for the money for me.

Favorite Features

Interior nice and roomy. Seats very comfortable. Large trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Dressy rids would help.

Time to trade it in I guess
By grathy

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I'm at 66,700 for this 1999 beauty, but I guess it's time to trade her in. In the past year, I've put over $1800 into the car, and I'm nervous to continue driving her long distances, should something else go wrong. It's kind of like having an elderly cat or dog. You love them, but you know it's just a matter of time. So, reluctantly, I will be saying goodbye to my sage-green gal, and hope that she finds another good home, swinging vents and all!

Favorite Features

Swinging air vents, Bose stereo system, jade green color. Love the rounded styling, which has remained timeless to me.

Suggested Improvements

Wish it was more reliable after 60,000 miles. Leather in the seats could be a bit more plush.

Not bad for the money
By tharry8

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2006 for $4900 and had 60,000 miles on it. Now have 104,000 miles. No real problems, just normal maintenance. 4cyl has very little power, and gas mileage isn't that good (22 mpg) considering the lack of performance. I can see the Ford influences, what a shame. Thought I was getting a Japanese car. Should have done my homework. Bought for daughter to train on, kind of a bumper car if you know what I mean.

Favorite Features

Swing vent.

Suggested Improvements

Either more power or better mileage.

Fun to drive, plenty of power, reliable
By Chuck W

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Miata which has been bulletproof and a blast to drive. When looking for a family car, the 626 seemed like a logical choice. It's a great highway cruiser, the handling is fantastic for a mid priced 4 door sedan, and it's been reliable. The gas mileage could be a little better, but it is a v6. From the research I've done and the posts on this site, it looks like the Mazda made v6 engine and tranny are the way to go.

Favorite Features

The smooth V6, the Bose sound system, the oscillating vents, huge trunk, leather interior is lush.

Suggested Improvements

I think its called the Mazda 6.

Never Again
By Very Confused

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 06 from a private owner. The car was in great condition and had 62k miles on it. 6 months after buying the car my the cd player decided it no longer wanted to play cds, the antenna will not go down and it makes this horrible noise whenever I put the radio on, now the AC doesnt work anymore I was told that the entire dash board needs to come out for the problem to be fixed $$$$$, also the power door locks doesnt work any more that too is making an awful loud noise that I cant stand This car is more of a headache than anything else. I wish i would have done more research on these types of cars and i only have 83,246 miles imagine what will happen at 40,000 save your money

Favorite Features

Very roomy. Looks nice.