1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Was good but now...
By Jessica on 01/09/08 09:28 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 45K on it and never had any problems up until 3 months ago.(100K) It has been a snowball ever since the Altanator belt went. Now the Alt. is bad the O2 sensor (don't know which one) The is oil leaking into exhaust valve, piston ring, fuel injector, there is a vacuum leak. The antenna has been broke since a month after i bought it. Sway bar was broke never knew till we changed the brakes. The altinator is very hard to get at. I loved the car and now it is snowballing on down. I kept up on it and took care of it. But I am to poor to fix it all at once now.

I love my Mazda
By cari's car on 09/17/07 19:21 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

My car has over 110,000 miles on it; Yesterday I got almost 40 mpg, interstate driving @ 73 mph with AC, cruise when possible. My car needs a tune up too, but always gets regular oil changes. I added a spoiler, alloy wheels and a stripe at purchase giving the design a more finished look; people still remark at how sporty my car is. I would buy another same model or V6 when/if this one ever gives up. I have minor back problems and the seats are great even for long distances; the rotating fan is great for in between weather and saves AC. Good buy for my money.

I love it
By stanley stoykov on 05/25/07 22:35 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

Very reliable. Still running strong after 147000 miles. Around 27 mpg city, hwy 32 mpg. Broken AC at 130000. With good maintenance, gonna last til 200000.

Great Car to Own
By Tucker on 10/29/06 18:33 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car since I bought it three and 1/2 years ago. Just regular maintenance. It has been a very reliable car. I bought the car used and have put 60,000 miles on it. It still drives very smooth and handles great on the road.

Reliable 626
By Kevin Bartosz on 10/12/06 16:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased new when the dealership offered invoice price and Mazda had a $2,250 rebate, a no brainer to purchase a V6 sedan for $17,000. Now 120,000 mies and looking to double that. Terrific MPG's 28 to 30 with an automatic trans. commuting 50 miles one way through the southern NY roads (25 MPG with 4 snow tires). No major mechanical problems to mention. Minor problems- automatic antenna finally broke after 6 years and CD player needed to be replaced once. Very good handling and response. If still going strong at 200k with preventative maintainence and no more hit deer, I will replace the timing belt again (about $350) and shoot for 300K.

626 experience
By Ken Jordan on 07/22/06 01:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

The 626 I bought new has performed well except for the air conditioning which I had problems with from week one. I experienced some belt trouble after 100,000 miles. It was caused by the harmonic balancer. Overall it has been a good car. The engine is a v6 and is a little loud.

Good affordable car
By shannon on 04/19/06 08:27 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2001. Had 35K miles on it. It now has 125K miles on it. It's a good car to get you from point A to B, and it looks nice if you keep it cleaned up. But its life span probably won't exceed far past 150K. I haven't had a wreck, and I've kept up the maintenance. At 100K, a/c vents started spewing plastic filter pieces (just annoying, swivel still works, but slowly). CV boots cracked, twice (clicking when turns). At 120K, the oil started leaking, engine began vibrating, a/c pulled too much power (engine vibrates when it's on, computer timing is off). Lots of problems, but at 125K, what can you expect from this quality of car.

Nice car, bad transmission
By spg on 11/12/05 16:21 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES 4dr Sedan

Very nice and comfortable family sedan. Gets over 30mpg. Down side, auto transmission failed at 80,000 miles and cost $3500 to replace at dealer and still is not right. Due to possible design flaw, transmission overheats during extended highway use causing failure. Don't buy unless it has a transmission cooler in front of radiator.

Worst car you could buy
By A H on 11/01/05 16:10 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This is by far the most unreliable car you could purchase. This car has racked up over $8 grand in repairs, every other month something goes wrong. The quality of the vehicle is beyond horrible. In addition to top it off Mazda USA headquarters are the rudest and most unprofessional people to ever work with. They don't back their vehicles at all and don't care what is going on. This car gives a new meaning to a lemon. I have had the steering rack, boots, oil leaks, hoses, fan, motor, radiator, thermostat, O2 sensor, EGR service, and much more done to this. Mazda is the worst company to do business with and this is the last Mazda I would ever purchase or recommend take your money elsewhere.

worse value loss; cheaply made
By shana on 10/26/05 23:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX 4dr Sedan

This car blew its engine at 116,000 miles; you be the judge of if that's good or not. It was very well maintained. I work in appraisals of cars and the Mazdas lose value very quickly and are not the best engineered vehicles by any means. Looks of the car lead me to it and also purchased it before I entered my career of knowing now what holds value better than other vehicles and which vehicles have a better track record on performance than others. Looks cute, drives okay. No value and cheaply made.