1999 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
165,000 miles and still running
By Rita on 04/29/09 07:16 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

My 1999 626, manual transmission (we bought it new) has 165,000 miles on it. It is now a "college car" for my son. The engine went out a few weeks ago and we opted to put a used one in (100,000 miles on this one). $1,800.00 later and the car is running great. We could not find a used car for the price of repairing this one. The body and interior on this car still looks great. Only problems..antenna won't go down, one power window doesn't work (back seat) other than that this car has been almost repair free. I hope we can get another few years on the new engine.....

I love it
By darrellkirby888 on 04/03/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love my 1999 Mazda 626! I drove it home 100 miles the first night I owned it and fell in love with it! I purchased it to replace my 1992 Accord that bit the dust. My friends love the swinging air vents. The car runs great and looks decent for Mazda styling. I never expected to be so satisfied with it!

Could be better..could be worse
By kat on 03/15/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I'm only 17 so when looking for a car my grandpa wanted me to get one little but Nice. So he picked it out. At first it was great but within a week it was a total pain. The back sway bar was broke, there was a little oil leak and the fuel pump went out. In total repairs where over $1000. Thats a lot for a girl in school and working a minimum wage job but I got it fixed and its a great car. Everything works good. Pretty good gas mileage and not too bad on insurance.

Best one yet
By Rachel on 12/13/08 08:02 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new and have no regrets. I have the car maintained regularly and it is garage kept. It has not broken down on me yet and the repairs have really only been maintainance items. Best car I have ever owned in terms of reliability.

A good car
By NRI on 12/10/08 12:13 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I love this car for following reasons 1. Comfort. I love the interior comforts and the features that it has like Swing Vents 2. Driving. The acceleration was good. Pick up was not comparable to Chrysler V6 but not bad either. 3. I have driven this car over the NH mountains and never had issues. 4. Had to recharge the AC at about 97kmiles and timing belt replaced and after that the AC is fine without issues Regular oil changes , 90000 service, done. Recently had to replace the transmission hose as it had some problems.

Great car for me
By jazzy on 08/23/08 22:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in 2004. It had over 100 thousand miles on it. I have not had any Major car problems until this year 2008 at 166,147 miles. I have put in a transmission and a timing belt in it. It rides very well. No other maintenance problems, regular maintenance upkeep. Very good value for the money for me.

Time to trade it in I guess
By grathy on 08/08/08 06:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I'm at 66,700 for this 1999 beauty, but I guess it's time to trade her in. In the past year, I've put over $1800 into the car, and I'm nervous to continue driving her long distances, should something else go wrong. It's kind of like having an elderly cat or dog. You love them, but you know it's just a matter of time. So, reluctantly, I will be saying goodbye to my sage-green gal, and hope that she finds another good home, swinging vents and all!

Not bad for the money
By tharry8 on 06/08/08 06:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used in 2006 for $4900 and had 60,000 miles on it. Now have 104,000 miles. No real problems, just normal maintenance. 4cyl has very little power, and gas mileage isn't that good (22 mpg) considering the lack of performance. I can see the Ford influences, what a shame. Thought I was getting a Japanese car. Should have done my homework. Bought for daughter to train on, kind of a bumper car if you know what I mean.

Fun to drive, plenty of power, reliable
By Chuck W on 05/21/08 12:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Miata which has been bulletproof and a blast to drive. When looking for a family car, the 626 seemed like a logical choice. It's a great highway cruiser, the handling is fantastic for a mid priced 4 door sedan, and it's been reliable. The gas mileage could be a little better, but it is a v6. From the research I've done and the posts on this site, it looks like the Mazda made v6 engine and tranny are the way to go.

Never Again
By Very Confused on 01/10/08 06:09 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 06 from a private owner. The car was in great condition and had 62k miles on it. 6 months after buying the car my the cd player decided it no longer wanted to play cds, the antenna will not go down and it makes this horrible noise whenever I put the radio on, now the AC doesnt work anymore I was told that the entire dash board needs to come out for the problem to be fixed $$$$$, also the power door locks doesnt work any more that too is making an awful loud noise that I cant stand This car is more of a headache than anything else. I wish i would have done more research on these types of cars and i only have 83,246 miles imagine what will happen at 40,000 save your money