Used 1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 Sedan Consumer Reviews - 9 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Best car I've owned.
By CJE

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

This car is great IF it's been taken care of and the maintenance has been done on it when scheduled. I bought the car from my grandma who bought it from brand new and only had 30,000 miles on the odometer. Now I've doubled it plus some. It's been great on trips and has never let me down. Drives very smoothly for the most part, and is really comfortable this side of a luxury car. The seats are amazing (I have the leather seats) both front and back, though weirdly the back seat does not have cup holders at all. Interior is nice enough for a high end mainstream brand, but nothing that is extravagant.

The power is fine... just have to tap into it. Compared to similar cars (Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, etc) it is less power, but for normal drivers who just commute and don't speed all over it does the job just fine. Transmission works well enough, though it's not the smoothest transmission it's still working. I'm not sure if the transmission issues affect the V6 versions compared to the I4 cars. Gas mileage is only so-so, I get about 20 in the city off a tank, and 25 with a small bit of city and mostly highway. I did see close to 29 mpg driving across country to visit a friend several states away, on interstate going 75. It does recommend premium fuel (which these mileage figures are based on) however it is not REQUIRED. The ignition system can adjust itself to take advantage of higher octane fuel or run on regular. Does great in the snow though! Plows through snow great and doesn't get stuck unless it's a lot of snow.

Like I said before nothing really to leave me stranded. I've had the valve cover gasket replaced once due to leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold, a small leak fixed in the coolant system, some light bulbs in the dash, the drive belts replace (not the timing belt), and the negative battery terminal that had rusted to the breaking point. I don't see these as a reliability issue (besides the gasket which is but its a common problem with this engine; also the gasket isn't cheap according to my mechanic,) but as normal wear on cars of this age. I am taking care of this car the best I can and doing regular maintenance when it's called for in the owners manual. I know there were some things done before I got the car but as far as I am aware the work done was due to the low mileage it had seen (radiator was replaced, front rotors replaced though this was due to my grandma's driving style).

TL;DR: It's a great car if it's taken care of and properly treated, gets decent/ ok gas mileage depending on driving style, and is extremely comfortable.

Good car
By Ray

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our red Mazda hot rod used off of a two year lease with about 36,000 miles. Now have 184000. Normal maintenance, no unusual problems, continues to run like a champ. Looks great, but there now is corrosion underneath the car around suspension components and gas tank. My trusted mechanic recommended that my daughter not drive it 250 miles to university considering it could break down far from home. This car which has taken my family on trips across the US is now in semi retirement shuttling my youngest son to school and back (10 miles). Although it's now our "beater" it still looks good with its red, rust free exterior, leather seats and still shiny aluminum wheels.

Solid, spirited handling. Swing vents. Reliability

Better gas mileage. Better undercarriage rust mitigation.

Time to trade it in I guess
By grathy

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I'm at 66,700 for this 1999 beauty, but I guess it's time to trade her in. In the past year, I've put over $1800 into the car, and I'm nervous to continue driving her long distances, should something else go wrong. It's kind of like having an elderly cat or dog. You love them, but you know it's just a matter of time. So, reluctantly, I will be saying goodbye to my sage-green gal, and hope that she finds another good home, swinging vents and all!

Swinging air vents, Bose stereo system, jade green color. Love the rounded styling, which has remained timeless to me.

Wish it was more reliable after 60,000 miles. Leather in the seats could be a bit more plush.

Fun to drive, plenty of power, reliable
By Chuck W

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Miata which has been bulletproof and a blast to drive. When looking for a family car, the 626 seemed like a logical choice. It's a great highway cruiser, the handling is fantastic for a mid priced 4 door sedan, and it's been reliable. The gas mileage could be a little better, but it is a v6. From the research I've done and the posts on this site, it looks like the Mazda made v6 engine and tranny are the way to go.

The smooth V6, the Bose sound system, the oscillating vents, huge trunk, leather interior is lush.

I think its called the Mazda 6.

Great Car to Own
By Tucker

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car since I bought it three and 1/2 years ago. Just regular maintenance. It has been a very reliable car. I bought the car used and have put 60,000 miles on it. It still drives very smooth and handles great on the road.

Sway air vents, handling.