1999 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Used and Abused but still rolling along
By BudMech on 07/30/10 17:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

My dad bought me this car in February of 2010 for my sophomore year in high school. We knew it had problems but we got it for only $1,180 and 129,000 miles on the odometer. After having it inspected the next day I discovered that it was a hunk of junk basically. It still needs its driver's side steering control arm replaced,a new catalytic converter, a new muffler and eventually the transmission. The car is working its way down the shifter and is unstable in Park and Reverse gears. The minor stuff is the power antenna and driver's power door locking mechanism and discs and drums. He uses it to drive to work and it hasn't killed him yet so maybe it will give out before I "officially get it."

Falling Apart
By ann on 09/07/09 23:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

My 626 was my first vehicle. This was a great started car, very reliable. However, as soon as it neared 80,000 miles things started snowballing. I had belt problems causing acceleration problems, to the point that it was unsafe to drive. This was a minor repair compared to the transmission I had to replace at 95,000 miles. It was running smoothly then just gave out one day. I was told by a local mechanic this is a very common issue. Mine was the third '99 Mazda 626 the shop had seen this year for the same issue. Since the transmission was replaced I've had major problems with the a/c and battery. The car just shut off going 40 mph down the highway today. I am officially retiring this vehicle

More than what I bargained for
By impressed on 07/02/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this demo car in 2000. I liked the leather seats and deserts colors.It has a very roomy back seat. Lots of head room. We were concerned after the purchase that the transmission seemed to snap. After several visits to the dealer we ended up having the motor mounts replined, which was under warranty. The radio quit working under warranty. The anntena has failed not under warranty and we have replaced a visor. Other than that the car just keeps going now at 138,000 miles. We replaced the brakes, tune ups, the timing belt at the right mileage, recently a new battery. The car feels solid and strong. Can't believe it didn't fall apart after warranty. I'll drive it until it dies.

626 experience
By Ken Jordan on 07/22/06 01:43 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

The 626 I bought new has performed well except for the air conditioning which I had problems with from week one. I experienced some belt trouble after 100,000 miles. It was caused by the harmonic balancer. Overall it has been a good car. The engine is a v6 and is a little loud.

Nice car, bad transmission
By spg on 11/12/05 16:21 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

Very nice and comfortable family sedan. Gets over 30mpg. Down side, auto transmission failed at 80,000 miles and cost $3500 to replace at dealer and still is not right. Due to possible design flaw, transmission overheats during extended highway use causing failure. Don't buy unless it has a transmission cooler in front of radiator.

More Trouble Than My Three Kids!
By Samantha Rector on 10/11/05 16:19 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 60,000 miles. And in two weeks of owning the car the transmission went out. The car was under a 30 day warranty so the dealership paid for a rebuilt transmission to put into the car. Less than a year later the transmission that was put in went out. I had to pay $1,800.00 to have another transmission put in (this is the third transmission in this car). I had to take back 6 months later because my car would not go into reverse. The mechanic told me that the transmission in the Mazda's are consistently failing. A/C stopped working. Pulley is going out. Trading in for a Infiniti.

buyer beware
By Dave on 12/31/04 00:08 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

After owning this car for almost 2 years, our 626 has been a decent vehicle for my wife until now. Suddenly the transmission has gone out and had to be replaced. The tranny shop told us that they see a LOT of these Ford transmissions and said most don't make it to 100k miles. I have a Honda and a Mitsubishi that both have over 165k and have had no problems whatsoever. No late model car should have transmission problems this soon (our 626 has about 105k on it). I am now finding that this is fairly common with the 626, so keep that in mind if you are considering buying one. If you do still buy one, go for the V6.

Debs626
By Bearair on 11/11/04 17:36 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

A good car with extras for the price. It has been dependable and gets about 30 mpg. No major repairs in 5 years. The only issue is the alternator does not appear to put out enough juice in the summer with the air on. My 1998 626 was the same way.

a good buy
By Jim54 on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

A great college car for me until I recently plowed a deer and totalled the car and deer. Great for carrying 4-5 people with ample space. Nice pick up and smooth metal brakes. Lasted through many long hauls across the Nevada desert without the transmission problems that my 2000 626 had.

Great second-hand car!
By kingsubbu on 10/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a used car dealership about 2 months back. Its been simply great! I bought the car with abt 50K miles on it...have already put on close to 6K miles in less than 2 months and I must say its been pure joy all the way!