1999 Mazda 626 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Great Car
By salty1211 on 12/02/11 18:01 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my 1999 Mazda back in May , It has 207,000 Plus miles all I have done to it is Oil Change and Lub . I like all the extra features which are to many to disribe . After owning a Ford -150 4 X 4 I enjoy the Gas Milage I get on The Mazda .

Wish I had gotten more out of her.
By yakobemil on 09/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I was really excited when I got my 626. The oscillating AC was the coolest thing. I got it a year ago with 130,000 miles on it, seeing as I was a high school student, I didn't need anything fancy. Sadly, things started going wrong as soon as I got it. The o2 Sensor had to be replaced twice. The transmission started having major problems after two weeks, and the fuel pump went out. I ended up spending more on repairs than I did on the actual car. I did love it, though. One morning on my way to school the transmission went out going up a hill. 138,000 Miles. That was the last time I drove it. I sold it for 500 for parts. The transmission is known to go out on these models, though.

This is a quality vehicle
By traben on 09/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

i got this Mazda used! Granted it doesnt have any power but other then that i love this car!!! it now has nearly 200,000 miles on it and it runs great!!!!!!!

Used and Abused but still rolling along
By BudMech on 07/30/10 17:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

My dad bought me this car in February of 2010 for my sophomore year in high school. We knew it had problems but we got it for only $1,180 and 129,000 miles on the odometer. After having it inspected the next day I discovered that it was a hunk of junk basically. It still needs its driver's side steering control arm replaced,a new catalytic converter, a new muffler and eventually the transmission. The car is working its way down the shifter and is unstable in Park and Reverse gears. The minor stuff is the power antenna and driver's power door locking mechanism and discs and drums. He uses it to drive to work and it hasn't killed him yet so maybe it will give out before I "officially get it."

My Awesome 626. Love her to death.
By Javes on 05/11/10 15:39 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

Alright, so I bought this great piece of engineering my sophomore year of high school. I am now a sophomore in college. I love this vehicle! Small but, "quick" 2 liter engine coupled with the five speed manual is great to drive. Don't buy an auto, LOL. No fun, at all (and unreliable), great interior, clean, with a decent sound system. (I remember, it was decent. Lost the cd player at about. 145,000 miles.) power antenna is great! People just don't take care of them (grease) and say that it's mazdas fault. (sorry, its yours.) clutch is still going, at 165,000 miles! As the reliability reports says, the intake gasket does go, I replaced mine at 135,000. No major problems since.

Good car
By Ray on 10/24/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our red Mazda hot rod used off of a two year lease with about 36,000 miles. Now have 184000. Normal maintenance, no unusual problems, continues to run like a champ. Looks great, but there now is corrosion underneath the car around suspension components and gas tank. My trusted mechanic recommended that my daughter not drive it 250 miles to university considering it could break down far from home. This car which has taken my family on trips across the US is now in semi retirement shuttling my youngest son to school and back (10 miles). Although it's now our "beater" it still looks good with its red, rust free exterior, leather seats and still shiny aluminum wheels.

Falling Apart
By ann on 09/07/09 23:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

My 626 was my first vehicle. This was a great started car, very reliable. However, as soon as it neared 80,000 miles things started snowballing. I had belt problems causing acceleration problems, to the point that it was unsafe to drive. This was a minor repair compared to the transmission I had to replace at 95,000 miles. It was running smoothly then just gave out one day. I was told by a local mechanic this is a very common issue. Mine was the third '99 Mazda 626 the shop had seen this year for the same issue. Since the transmission was replaced I've had major problems with the a/c and battery. The car just shut off going 40 mph down the highway today. I am officially retiring this vehicle

1999 Mazda 626 LX w/ 200,000 miles
By mlapompe on 07/14/09 07:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in Nov 1999 with a $2,250 rebate at $16k. As of July of 2009, it has 200,000 miles. Around 68k (after warranty exp) miles, I replaced the rack & pinion. I have changed the timing belt & water pump twice as part of scheduled maintenance. No transmission problems (problems w/ 4cyl)! The car still drives good. I just purchased a 2000 Lexus GS w/ 124k miles on it and I'm looking forward to getting 400,000 miles out of that. The Mazda will be used as a spare car until it can't run anymore. The parts are a bit expensive though.

Mazda 626 1999
By Bullfrogjw on 07/09/09 06:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan LX V6 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out at 155k, significant exhaust problems. Car was pretty reliable always started. o2 sensor needed to be changed once a year.

More than what I bargained for
By impressed on 07/02/09 21:41 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 Sedan ES 4dr Sedan

We bought this demo car in 2000. I liked the leather seats and deserts colors.It has a very roomy back seat. Lots of head room. We were concerned after the purchase that the transmission seemed to snap. After several visits to the dealer we ended up having the motor mounts replined, which was under warranty. The radio quit working under warranty. The anntena has failed not under warranty and we have replaced a visor. Other than that the car just keeps going now at 138,000 miles. We replaced the brakes, tune ups, the timing belt at the right mileage, recently a new battery. The car feels solid and strong. Can't believe it didn't fall apart after warranty. I'll drive it until it dies.