1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
Good car
By Ray on 10/24/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

Bought our red Mazda hot rod used off of a two year lease with about 36,000 miles. Now have 184000. Normal maintenance, no unusual problems, continues to run like a champ. Looks great, but there now is corrosion underneath the car around suspension components and gas tank. My trusted mechanic recommended that my daughter not drive it 250 miles to university considering it could break down far from home. This car which has taken my family on trips across the US is now in semi retirement shuttling my youngest son to school and back (10 miles). Although it's now our "beater" it still looks good with its red, rust free exterior, leather seats and still shiny aluminum wheels.

Time to trade it in I guess
By grathy on 08/08/08 06:45 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I'm at 66,700 for this 1999 beauty, but I guess it's time to trade her in. In the past year, I've put over $1800 into the car, and I'm nervous to continue driving her long distances, should something else go wrong. It's kind of like having an elderly cat or dog. You love them, but you know it's just a matter of time. So, reluctantly, I will be saying goodbye to my sage-green gal, and hope that she finds another good home, swinging vents and all!

Fun to drive, plenty of power, reliable
By Chuck W on 05/21/08 12:52 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I own a 1990 Miata which has been bulletproof and a blast to drive. When looking for a family car, the 626 seemed like a logical choice. It's a great highway cruiser, the handling is fantastic for a mid priced 4 door sedan, and it's been reliable. The gas mileage could be a little better, but it is a v6. From the research I've done and the posts on this site, it looks like the Mazda made v6 engine and tranny are the way to go.

Great Car to Own
By Tucker on 10/29/06 18:33 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I have had no problems with this car since I bought it three and 1/2 years ago. Just regular maintenance. It has been a very reliable car. I bought the car used and have put 60,000 miles on it. It still drives very smooth and handles great on the road.

Worst car you could buy
By A H on 11/01/05 16:10 PM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

This is by far the most unreliable car you could purchase. This car has racked up over $8 grand in repairs, every other month something goes wrong. The quality of the vehicle is beyond horrible. In addition to top it off Mazda USA headquarters are the rudest and most unprofessional people to ever work with. They don't back their vehicles at all and don't care what is going on. This car gives a new meaning to a lemon. I have had the steering rack, boots, oil leaks, hoses, fan, motor, radiator, thermostat, O2 sensor, EGR service, and much more done to this. Mazda is the worst company to do business with and this is the last Mazda I would ever purchase or recommend take your money elsewhere.

Great Car
By Adam on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my 626 a couple of years ago and have decided that it is the best car I have owned. I believe that the ES is much nicer than the LX even if they are small differences, and I think that they are worth the money. Additionaly the car is pretty quick and has been very reliable on long cross country trips. I would prefer a 626 ES over a Corrolla any day.

Gotta love the growl
By MJR on 07/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

Solid car. 2.4L V-6 GROWLS...and I love it! Lots of room inside, fun to drive 5-speed, simple but sharp styling.

Great Car
By CCRAY on 03/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 ES V6 4dr Sedan

I am very pleased with my decision. I had a '93 MX-6 with the same engine (2.5 V-6) and it is terrific. Wasn't sure what to expect with the automatic but it provides good power. The interior layout is very good, I'm a big guy 6'3" 280 and have no problems. If it had the Honda nameplate it would've won every award, but I like Mazda because you can usually get a good deal and their build quality is good.