Used 1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 626 model:

Still my favorite car
By Courtney K

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This was my very first car at the age of 15 with my driver's permit. I learned how to drive in this car so you could say I have a biased opinion towards it but after driving many different models and owning a 2001 Chevy Lumina and a 2012 Ford Focus (absolute garbage, never buy a Focus or a Ford), this Mazda still wins hands down. For being over a decade old at the time of owning it, it felt very sporty and aesthetic compared to my peers' vehicles. It still looks nice compared to boxier models in the 90's and even early 2000's. My 2001 Chevy Lumina looks like an old granny car compared to the 1999 Mazda 626. It's a stunning car in candy apple red. The interior was also pleasing to the eye. Lots of plastic but it didn't feel cheap like my 2012 Ford Focus does. The controls were easy to change while driving. I can't comment on the stock radio because mine had a custom Pioneer installed when I got the car, but the sound from the stock speakers was much more "tinny" than my Lumina. If that isn't as important to you as the performance then I would absolutely still recommend this car. With a V6 I had no problems getting up to speed and maintaining that speed. I've yet to drive a car that could match my Mazda's power. And it still got pretty decent gas mileage, I averaged 20-22 on the highway and 15-18 in the city. The only downside to this car is its issue with belts and the transmission. I replaced the serpentine belt twice in one month and the alternator belt broke while I was driving home and I had no idea until the battery light came on and I literally rolled to a dead stop in my driveway. The alternator belt was only a couple months old when it snapped. The other issue is the transmission, Mazdas are notorious for trannys having short lifespans. Towards the end of my ownership, the transmission would buckle and jerk when upshifting. If I'd had the money at the time, I would have repaired it because I loved the car, but unfortunately I had to sell it as is and get a more reliable car. My 2001 Chevy Lumina gets great mileage and I have not spent a single dime on repairs in the 4 years I've owned it (WOW!) but I still miss my Mazda 626.

1999 Mazda 626 LX w/ 200,000 miles
By mlapompe

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in Nov 1999 with a $2,250 rebate at $16k. As of July of 2009, it has 200,000 miles. Around 68k (after warranty exp) miles, I replaced the rack & pinion. I have changed the timing belt & water pump twice as part of scheduled maintenance. No transmission problems (problems w/ 4cyl)! The car still drives good. I just purchased a 2000 Lexus GS w/ 124k miles on it and I'm looking forward to getting 400,000 miles out of that. The Mazda will be used as a spare car until it can't run anymore. The parts are a bit expensive though.

The ride is pretty good for this car with the amount of mileage that it has. I think this year(1999) was the last of the real Japanese build.

Engine pick-up! Improve the engine sensor, so the check engine light doesn't go on and off. I fixed it twice and it's still on!

Mazda 626 1999
By Bullfrogjw

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out at 155k, significant exhaust problems. Car was pretty reliable always started. o2 sensor needed to be changed once a year.

Could be better..could be worse
By kat

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I'm only 17 so when looking for a car my grandpa wanted me to get one little but Nice. So he picked it out. At first it was great but within a week it was a total pain. The back sway bar was broke, there was a little oil leak and the fuel pump went out. In total repairs where over $1000. Thats a lot for a girl in school and working a minimum wage job but I got it fixed and its a great car. Everything works good. Pretty good gas mileage and not too bad on insurance.

The nice trunk. big enough for a sound system and grocerys. really roomy. a/c and heat with the sway air thingy. cd player. its not too loud for a v6.

from what i hear the sway bar in the back goes out on everybodys. and the fuel pump does too.

Best one yet
By Rachel

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new and have no regrets. I have the car maintained regularly and it is garage kept. It has not broken down on me yet and the repairs have really only been maintainance items. Best car I have ever owned in terms of reliability.

Swinging vents, large trunk, fuel economy, fold down seats for through trunk storage.

Full size spare tire