1999 Mazda 626 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 626 model:
1999 Mazda 626 LX w/ 200,000 miles
By mlapompe on 07/14/09 07:36 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in Nov 1999 with a $2,250 rebate at $16k. As of July of 2009, it has 200,000 miles. Around 68k (after warranty exp) miles, I replaced the rack & pinion. I have changed the timing belt & water pump twice as part of scheduled maintenance. No transmission problems (problems w/ 4cyl)! The car still drives good. I just purchased a 2000 Lexus GS w/ 124k miles on it and I'm looking forward to getting 400,000 miles out of that. The Mazda will be used as a spare car until it can't run anymore. The parts are a bit expensive though.

Mazda 626 1999
By Bullfrogjw on 07/09/09 06:31 AM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Transmission went out at 155k, significant exhaust problems. Car was pretty reliable always started. o2 sensor needed to be changed once a year.

Could be better..could be worse
By kat on 03/15/09 13:25 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I'm only 17 so when looking for a car my grandpa wanted me to get one little but Nice. So he picked it out. At first it was great but within a week it was a total pain. The back sway bar was broke, there was a little oil leak and the fuel pump went out. In total repairs where over $1000. Thats a lot for a girl in school and working a minimum wage job but I got it fixed and its a great car. Everything works good. Pretty good gas mileage and not too bad on insurance.

Best one yet
By Rachel on 12/13/08 08:02 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Bought new and have no regrets. I have the car maintained regularly and it is garage kept. It has not broken down on me yet and the repairs have really only been maintainance items. Best car I have ever owned in terms of reliability.

Never Again
By Very Confused on 01/10/08 06:09 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

I bought my car in 06 from a private owner. The car was in great condition and had 62k miles on it. 6 months after buying the car my the cd player decided it no longer wanted to play cds, the antenna will not go down and it makes this horrible noise whenever I put the radio on, now the AC doesnt work anymore I was told that the entire dash board needs to come out for the problem to be fixed $$$$$, also the power door locks doesnt work any more that too is making an awful loud noise that I cant stand This car is more of a headache than anything else. I wish i would have done more research on these types of cars and i only have 83,246 miles imagine what will happen at 40,000 save your money

Reliable 626
By Kevin Bartosz on 10/12/06 16:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

Purchased new when the dealership offered invoice price and Mazda had a $2,250 rebate, a no brainer to purchase a V6 sedan for $17,000. Now 120,000 mies and looking to double that. Terrific MPG's 28 to 30 with an automatic trans. commuting 50 miles one way through the southern NY roads (25 MPG with 4 snow tires). No major mechanical problems to mention. Minor problems- automatic antenna finally broke after 6 years and CD player needed to be replaced once. Very good handling and response. If still going strong at 200k with preventative maintainence and no more hit deer, I will replace the timing belt again (about $350) and shoot for 300K.

Another great Mazda
By Luv that Mazda on 08/15/05 20:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

This is my 6th 626 (1st one was in '79). In 175,000 miles only one problem - the heat gauge failed and had to replace the instrument cluster. At this point I get 28 - 31 mpg (with the 5-speed) and am driving 3000+ miles/month. The car still looks good, and like our others, I expect to drive it for 200,000+ miles. Still haven't replaced a clutch, or anything other than normal maintenance. Wish my van was as reliable.

My sporty sedan
By Let's Go on 07/28/05 20:16 PM (PDT)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

The professional reviews are pretty accurate. If you need the comfort and roominess of a sedan but like to drive on windy curvy roads you won't be disappointed. While you wouldn't compare it with a Porsche for handling, I drive frequently on 1 lane roads and the performance is good. With the fold down seats I have room for my stuff when I am enjoying the great outdoors.

mazda99
By missy01 on 01/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

It was a well running car until it reached 70,000 miles. Lots of problems after this point. I did not abuse this car, I had the oil changed and the car checked every 3,000 miles. Had to replace transmission. Every year the coolant bottle cracks, replaced twice under warranty and every year there after. Would recommend to lease this car, not to buy it-too many problems.

Not too Shabby
By RPerez01 on 12/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Mazda 626 LX V6 4dr Sedan

At times I wish I could buy another car only because I like to have a new car all the time (but I'm not rich) Maybe its not as stylish as others but its not a bad looking car I have spruced it up a bit with a spoiler, added wood trim around dash, radio, shifter also updated the grill with the 2000 model grill (BIGGER Mazda logo) and added some chrome molding around front and rear bumpers and it looks great. Next a nice set of rims and that should be all. Otherwise no real complaints, replaced timing belt, brakes and 2 sensors (normal stuff)